Paisley Improvements

Doakes

5 hours ago, antrin said:

easy to find, cheap, central parking.   Not just for Buddies, but for day-trippers, visitors of all shapes and sizes.

I stop with my wee tour bus in towns and villages that make it easy for me to do so.  Somewhere I can unload 16 punters who want a look at something nice, a cup of  tea and shops.                                      With convenient conveniences...

In Paisley, I used to park at the Watermill, show them the Hammills, wander over the glorious technicolour brig towards the Abbey.  After a walk/talk inside the Abbey, there was a nice wee cafe and gift shop.

A look at the Toon Hall, the nearby statues and up the High Street towards Coats Memorial, then back to the bus.   A small stop on a longer day, but it introduced people to Paisley and I directed several to stay there after my tour, as opposed to finding somewhere in Glasgow  before they flew out.

I'd also do a drive round town just for the glory of the history, architecture and riveting tales about me attempting to grow up....

Park opposite  the police station ,then walk up to Abbey

3 hours ago, chalky1 said:

I would like to see the high street with some sort of covering and large wind breakers at the top, open it up to more bars and restuarants. Knock down both the Piazza and Paisley centre and start again with local businesses and parking. New cinema, new museum etc all nearby. Students using the pubs etc

I would look to bring the Phoenix shops and into the town, move the car retailers down abercorn street, move all the local industries to Phoenix.

You would then hopefully have local shops, pubs restaurants with parking in the town centre. Morison, Aldi B&M etc on the outskirts of the town centre. massive car dealership close to the town. your then close to other transport links.

I walked along this passage way near Alexanderplatz in Berlin last year, I remember thinking that it would look good on Paisley high street 

AF9B4A6D-FA00-4851-BFF3-7AB1C71FB209.jpeg

8 hours ago, Doakes said:

Something like this :)

Get rid of the Piazza and build a new riverside complex with bars and restaurants, other side would back onto County Square, easy access to Glasgow. Would be well used! 

Not sure The cash is available for a revamp like that, We need a project that wouldn't cost too much 

What about turning the town centre into a film set for the next Shawn of the Dead sequel, we already have the extra's in place, You would only have to move the bankhouse and Burton's 

zombie GIF

7 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Not sure The cash is available for a revamp like that, We need a project that wouldn't cost too much 

What about turning the town centre into a film set for the next Shawn of the Dead sequel, we already have the extra's in place, You would only have to move the bankhouse and Burton's 

zombie GIF

Bank house is crap, the layout for the bar and toilets is poor. Waste of time going in for a pint...

13 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Funny you should mention the river as an opportunity, I was walking past the Hammils the other day and saw a guy paddling under the bridge in a canoe! Pretty good idea to bring some people into the town centre. 

Probably quicker than the bus.

18 hours ago, FTOF said:

If it was simply the river, undeveloped, there might be scope for something like this on a smaller scale.

However, you have to factor in the demolition of the Piazza, that would add on a significant cost to any re-development of the site.

True, true. 

In saying that, not sure if anyones been to Leeds in recent years? Went recently and couldn't believe the change. Lovely shopping centre, big cinema complex, restaurants etc all in the main shopping district that used to be very similar to Paisley

Before before

Leeds Then and Now - Incredible photos chart the historic rise of ...

Updated similar to Paisley

Leodis - a photographic archive of Leeds - Display

Now!

10 Things Leeds Didn't Have 10 Years Ago | Leeds-List

54 minutes ago, Doakes said:

True, true. 

In saying that, not sure if anyones been to Leeds in recent years? Went recently and couldn't believe the change. Lovely shopping centre, big cinema complex, restaurants etc all in the main shopping district that used to be very similar to Paisley

Before before

Now!

Looks like an Andrew Scott horse sculpture in the newest development.

I like his work.

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

True, true. 

Before before

Now!

most have got a lot of extras in that day for the photo shot or was that the grand opening. 

8 hours ago, Doakes said:

True, true. 

Before before

Now!

Good good

Going there in December

One area in Paisley that seems to do well from council spending.

A new toddler zone will open at Glencoats Park today as a £60,000 upgrade is completed.

The Paisley play park has seen all of its 30-year-old equipment removed and a host of new, more inclusive play items installed.

The new area includes a wheelchair-friendly roundabout, trampoline and inclusive swings which parents and children can go on together, as well a climbing frame with attached slide, gravity bowl and quad rider see-saw.

The entire area is covered in a wetpour material which provides a soft landing for tumbling toddlers and features a number of grass mats.

They have tumbling toddlers, Erskine has tumbling weed Image result for pictures of tumbleweeds

Guest TPAFKATS

A new toddler zone will open at Glencoats Park today as a £60,000 upgrade is completed.

The Paisley play park has seen all of its 30-year-old equipment removed and a host of new, more inclusive play items installed.

The new area includes a wheelchair-friendly roundabout, trampoline and inclusive swings which parents and children can go on together, as well a climbing frame with attached slide, gravity bowl and quad rider see-saw.

The entire area is covered in a wetpour material which provides a soft landing for tumbling toddlers and features a number of grass mats.

They have tumbling toddlers, Erskine has tumbling weed OIP.XV61P_zXpgVOtSVBXfN7MAHaGT?w=218%26h=185%26c=7%26o=5%26pid=1.7&key=c6ffa3124744f40cad037bda3a93c9d1d5f348ca9ded305578838138d3e959da

You're complaining about 30 yo equipment being replaced at a kids play park.

6 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
On 7/31/2020 at 1:34 PM, pod said:

They have tumbling toddlers, Erskine has tumbling weed OIP.XV61P_zXpgVOtSVBXfN7MAHaGT?w=218%26h=185%26c=7%26o=5%26pid=1.7&key=c6ffa3124744f40cad037bda3a93c9d1d5f348ca9ded305578838138d3e959da

You're complaining about 30 yo equipment being replaced at a kids play park.

Only if you had one before to have it replaced again for 60,000 grand.

Guest TPAFKATS
Only if you had one before to have it replaced again for 60,000 grand.
Are you complaining about the 30 yo play equipment in a feegie play park being replaced...
Or is it the lack of a play park somewhere in Erskine that you are complaining about?

On 7/31/2020 at 1:34 PM, pod said:

They have tumbling toddlers, Erskine has tumbling weed Image result for pictures of tumbleweeds

The newspaper report and the Pals of the Privies Facebook page suggest that the £60,000 did not come from the council but from local fund raising.

https://www.facebook.com/GlencoatsPark/

Edited by smcc

On 7/22/2020 at 3:22 PM, Doakes said:

Something like this :)

the nightlife at Clarke Quay riverside - Picture of Clarke Quay ...

Get rid of the Piazza and build a new riverside complex with bars and restaurants, other side would back onto County Square, easy access to Glasgow. Would be well used! 

I'm afraid the future for bars and restaurants is somewhat bleak, we'd only be inviting a different type of decay and neglect

4 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I'm afraid the future for bars and restaurants is somewhat bleak, we'd only be inviting a different type of decay and neglect

On the contrary, the demand for outdoor bars and restaurant with heated seating areas has never been higher 

On 8/2/2020 at 2:59 PM, buddiecat said:

Clear the junkies and beggars of the streets, instant low cost improvement .

100% This. 

Would love to have an unlimited budget.

Get the Jakies, Junkies & beggars to f**k. Clean the dug shite away .

Bulldoze the Piazza & open up the river around county square  as a leisure area Incorporating pubs, restaurants and cafes .

Unlike other contributors , I’d keep the Paisley Centre and develop the High St / new st / Causeyside street triangle as the shopping zone, moving those displaced by piazza into the empty properties .

Would love to see the High St covered in some way also. 
Serve enforcement notices ( if such things exist 🤔) on the manky landlords who don’t keep their properties in good order and compulsory purchase properties which are deemed unsafe or which are left unmaintained and delapidated.  

Im sure we could do the whole thing for about  £50 -£100 million or so. Time to check down the back of the couch for loose change 

100% This. 

Would love to have an unlimited budget.
Get the Jakies, Junkies & beggars to f**k. Clean the dug shite away .
Bulldoze the Piazza & open up the river around county square  as a leisure area Incorporating pubs, restaurants and cafes .
Unlike other contributors , I’d keep the Paisley Centre and develop the High St / new st / Causeyside street triangle as the shopping zone, moving those displaced by piazza into the empty properties .
Would love to see the High St covered in some way also. 
Serve enforcement notices ( if such things exist [emoji848]) on the manky landlords who don’t keep their properties in good order and compulsory purchase properties which are deemed unsafe or which are left unmaintained and delapidated.  

Im sure we could do the whole thing for about  £50 -£100 million or so. Time to check down the back of the couch for loose change 
I just found 12p down the back of mine, I'll pass it on, it's a start. :)