Paisley Improvements

Doakes

44 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Excuse my horrendous annotation, but bulldozing the existing Piazza building and all the shit that comes with it would open up the river to the high street and county square. You could have a nice grass area for concerts etc, assuming we get rid of covid! 

15CFE558-CC16-423F-A753-46A95DCE7DB6.jpeg

Well... it would provide better views and sightlines as you exit the Choo-choo Station!

And your 'annotation' is fine and clear!

Couple of things that would lessen the likelihood of such a braw green space...

1.  There must be a fair amount of income from the businesses that you've demolished? Add on demolition costs and i]that might be too much of a price to pay for an open green space that brings in no money and has to be maintained nice and braw.

2.  Your image shows all that already-existing green space in front of and to the side of The Abbey.  Does any of that get used at all for concerts or used by people just sitting watching the river go by?

ok... 

3.  Isn't Coonty Square already a functional, popular open-air venue?

Well... it would provide better views and sightlines as you exit the Choo-choo Station!

1.  There must be a fair amount of income from the businesses that you've demolished? Add on demolition costs and i]that might be too much of a price to pay for an open green space that brings in no money and has to be maintained nice and braw.
2.  Your image shows all that already-existing green space in front of and to the side of The Abbey.  Does any of that get used at all for concerts or used by people just sitting watching the river go by?
ok... 
Tut-tut. "couple of things" then you mention 3, you should know better.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

ok... 

You could argue that there’s more value to locals in having wide open green spaces, rather than decrepit run down shopping centres. Tourism is one of the biggest industries in the world and Paisley is fast becoming a bit of a culture hub. Like it or loathe it, Braehead and Silverburn is the best type of place for shops 

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

You could argue that there’s more value to locals in having wide open green spaces, rather than decrepit run down shopping centres. Tourism is one of the biggest industries in the world and Paisley is fast becoming a bit of a culture hub. Like it or loathe it, Braehead and Silverburn is the best type of place for shops 

Expect parking charges to be introduced for out of town shopping centres amongst other measures proposed by a report led by Prof L Sparkes which was published recently. Another point, not mentioned in the report is the pending introduction of technology into town centre shops. A contact of mine has recently raised £10m through crowdfunding to do just that. I like the point about tourism too.

Expect parking charges to be introduced for out of town shopping centres amongst other measures proposed by a report led by Prof L Sparkes which was published recently. Another point, not mentioned in the report is the pending introduction of technology into town centre shops. A contact of mine has recently raised £10m through crowdfunding to do just that. I like the point about tourism too.
A lot of the 'local' edge of town shopping centres down here as opposed to the larger places like the Metrocentre have time limit parking with fines for overstaying, I would think the retailers would strongly oppose charged parking as the norm especially as we can expect an element of social distancing and reduced use of public transport for a while yet.

14 hours ago, StanleySaint said:
15 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

A lot of the 'local' edge of town shopping centres down here as opposed to the larger places like the Metrocentre have time limit parking with fines for overstaying, I would think the retailers would strongly oppose charged parking as the norm especially as we can expect an element of social distancing and reduced use of public transport for a while yet.

I don't disagree that out of town centres would object SS . The thoughts are not mine but taken from the recently published report on Town Centres and actions proposed. You are right - many have time limits. If you are interested then I can let you have a click through to the report.

14 hours ago, StanleySaint said:
16 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Oh I don't mind the reduced use of public transport at all😉