St.Mirren v Green Bigots

FTOF

Few things to take away from tonight. 

1) Erwin is going to be a bit of a handful up top. If we're going with only 1 up he actually seems better at that role than Obika. 

2) McGrath should be our main set piece taker, no questions asked

3) We're a better team for not having Sheron in it. 

4) we need to work on defending cross balls. That's all 5 goals we've lost against the old firm this season that have come from balls being played in from wide. It's a real issue. We give away very little through the middle and look solid but we look weak defending crosses. 

5) Connolly looks like he's going to be a good out ball and we should be using his pace as much as possible until he burns himself out after 65 mins. 

20 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Radio coverage only. Yet another defeat albeit by a lower margin than expected, which is no consolation however. Should we lose again on Saturday, things are looking grim. May watch highlights later.

So 7 games in we have played the top 3 which leaves 4 games 2 wins 1 draw from those games aye shows a really look of being grim 

Well I have to say that was hard to watch despite going a goal ahead so early.Quite simply we have players who cannot do the simple things expected of pros like passing controlling the ball etc. I really do fear for us this season only pass marks for me were McGrath and Erwin.

Best we have played for a while. Punished for a couple of defensive errors. If that's the big goalie's last game for us then it's a big thanks. Did very well. Thought the whole team played well tonight. Morias put in a shift and Erwin and Connolly look dangerous. Optimism fully restored. In Jim we trust.

2 minutes ago, truesaint said:

We are still not playing to our strength. Morias and mcallister shouldn't be near first team 451 to 442  our strength is/ will be in midfield and defence. Forget the wings or have connolly utilise them later in games

forget the wings until later negates the forwards we have so no point playing them either then

5 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Well I have to say that was hard to watch despite going a goal ahead so early.Quite simply we have players who cannot do the simple things expected of pros like passing controlling the ball etc. I really do fear for us this season only pass marks for me were McGrath and Erwin.

Despite Celtic being not at their best tonight,  I think you're forgetting the massive gulf in quality they have compared to us. We were still in the game right to the end.

A big improvement on our last two outings,  and hopefully something to build on.

6 minutes ago, truesaint said:

We are still not playing to our strength. Morias and mcallister shouldn't be near first team 451 to 442  our strength is/ will be in midfield and defence. Forget the wings or have connolly utilise them later in games

The way we play I think the wingers are pretty essential (i'd imagine Goodwin agrees, when was the last time we had 4 pacey wingers on the books at once?).

If we are absorbing pressure, going direct and not really utilising a fullback overlap we need as a bare minimum:

A - striker on the park suited to playing the battering ram and holding the ball for 90 minutes

B - Options down the flanks to release pressure

46 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Decent performance. Nice to see Jim getting close to his best players on the park. I know Morais was on for his workrate and pressing but personally would have played McPherson. Connolly I think against poorer team will be an asset for us, good pace and attitude. Good to see Obika get his backside booted also. Flynn and Macgennis when up and running again will help. Bit more optimistic after tonight

McPherson before Moais every time!

Morais getting unfair stick tonight. Bar the first 20 minutes he did well given he was feeding off punts and had little support when countering. Connolly looks enthusiastic and persistent but he needs to be able to produce too but hard against the top teams. McAllister looks a shell of a player, think injuries are taking their toll. Overall the shape and discipline was better just lack that wee bit quality.

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Morais getting unfair stick tonight. Bar the first 20 minutes he did well given he was feeding off punts and had little support when countering. Connolly looks enthusiastic and persistent but he needs to be able to produce too but hard against the top teams. McAllister looks a shell of a player, think injuries are taking their toll. Overall the shape and discipline was better just lack that wee bit quality.

Agreed, Moria's done well tonight, the whole team played pretty well tbh, at least we know we're no as pish as we've looked in the last few games... Erwin looks a big improvement on Obika... Hopefully we can kick on from here..

2 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

Agreed, Moria's done well tonight, the whole team played pretty well tbh, at least we know we're no as pish as we've looked in the last few games... Erwin looks a big improvement on Obika... Hopefully we can kick on from here..

Morias was gash half the time he spent in the middle of the park if not leaving space doen their left to attack he was chasing shadows. Early doors 2nd half played a ball straight out the park to a seat in the stand then hits a long diagonal to Erwin i the box tohalf an inch from bye line never a forward and certainly not a winger/wide man in a 5. Erwin n Obika are different styles of player were you slating him last season after his goals 

57 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

The way we play I think the wingers are pretty essential (i'd imagine Goodwin agrees, when was the last time we had 4 pacey wingers on the books at once?).

If we are absorbing pressure, going direct and not really utilising a fullback overlap we need as a bare minimum:

A - striker on the park suited to playing the battering ram and holding the ball for 90 minutes

B - Options down the flanks to release pressure

mcallister and morias offer no relief of pressure when flynn is back great and connolly on the left of midfield poss in 451 but morais and mcallister not worth the space just now

Chill the feck out bro, we just put in a good performance against the best team in the country, Imo I thought Morias played ok tonight. Where the f**k did I slate Obika, Erwin looks far better playing up front on his own than Obika ever has... Big Jon got his uses, just not when we struggle to get bodies up the park to help him out...

12 minutes ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

Morias was gash half the time he spent in the middle of the park if not leaving space doen their left to attack he was chasing shadows. Early doors 2nd half played a ball straight out the park to a seat in the stand then hits a long diagonal to Erwin i the box tohalf an inch from bye line never a forward and certainly not a winger/wide man in a 5. Erwin n Obika are different styles of player were you slating him last season after his goals 

Here is the know it that knows f*** all, you really hate me taking the pi#s out of for your comments about the Hibs game start of last season and your opinion that Obika would outscore Thommo's SPL record for us.

2 and a bit seasons back in SPL we have won at only Hamilton and Motherwell(pre split) that is 10 teams that we haven't won against 11 if you include Hearts even although you are obviously a bit dim even you can work out that is sh**e.

Where was the Hamilton victory?

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Very strange comment.

You think Cammy would have been effective on the wing?

Apples and oranges sir.

I would have started Cammy for sure...
Ahead of McCarthy.

I guess Goodie was just being a bit more adventurous and positive than me.

I'm never going to criticise him for that.

Morias wasn't really on the wing, Playing more of a right sided midfielder considering the opposition. Would have preferred a midfielder who can attack, rather than a forward who doesn't or defend very well either.  Runs about, but bit of a headless chicken. Reminds me of Alex Bone.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Here is the know it that knows f*** all, you really hate me taking the pi#s out of for your comments about the Hibs game start of last season and your opinion that Obika would outscore Thommo's SPL record for us.

2 and a bit seasons back in SPL we have won at only Hamilton and Motherwell(pre split) that is 10 teams that we haven't won against 11 if you include Hearts even although you are obviously a bit dim even you can work out that is sh**e.

Taking the piss ? Never happened. 

A victory at Tannadice on Saturday has just taken on a new interest for me.

10 hours ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

So 7 games in we have played the top 3 which leaves 4 games 2 wins 1 draw from those games aye shows a really look of being grim 

Perhaps read the comment again. I said IF we lose on Saturday, that would be one point from 15 which In my opinion is rather grim. However that’s just my viewpoint, no need to agree.

10 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Very strange comment.

You think Cammy would have been effective on the wing?

Apples and oranges sir.

I would have started Cammy for sure...
Ahead of McCarthy.

I guess Goodie was just being a bit more adventurous and positive than me.

I'm never going to criticise him for that.

I was going to add that to my initial post. No McPherson wouldn't have been as effective down the wing but neither was Morais and he never has been. McPherson is a far better player and would have given us much more defensively and in midfield. We played the vast majority of the game in our half. I get why Morais started but for me he's a waste of a jersey. 

8 hours ago, truesaint said:

Morias wasn't really on the wing, Playing more of a right sided midfielder considering the opposition. Would have preferred a midfielder who can attack, rather than a forward who doesn't or defend very well either.  Runs about, but bit of a headless chicken. Reminds me of Alex Bone.

couldn't agree more

10 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Possibly injuries. I also have a feeling its level he's playing at now that he just doesn't cut it. Made no impact at all at Derby. I know he had injuries there too but I'm not convinced that he's got it at the higher level. Very predictable and top level players have him in their pocket all the time. He looks good when we are dominating a game and their is a lot of space for him. At Premiership level we aren't dominating any game and he just looks ineffective.

10 hours ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

No they aren't ?

Its just that Erwin is better. Erwin scored a goal last night that is typical of Obika. He is way more physical also.

Pity Dennis got injured. Like to see more of him partnered with Erwin.

Hopefully now Obika comes to the party with a bit of competition for his place

Edited by lenziebud