Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Fulton71

Hugh McLaughlin RIP

Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, cambiebud said:

Hugh was in the team when I started going to games as a child and was in The Alex Wright Champions Team. RIP

 

19 minutes ago, Buddymarvellous said:

Very sad - part of that great team from late sixties 

My Auld man was Captain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad news Great player in my earliest St Mirren supporting days  Always remember Hugh for being sent off against sellic in the league cup semi final 

 

8323FE1E-1F24-4294-8AAC-C1E105E25960.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HSS said:

Very sad news Great player in my earliest St Mirren supporting days  Always remember Hugh for being sent off against sellic in the league cup semi final 

 

8323FE1E-1F24-4294-8AAC-C1E105E25960.jpeg

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1971&GameID=197110060

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HSS said:

Remember your Dad as well,King of the keepie  uppie.

Def one of my favourites, read the game so well and his autograph was front & centre on my Junior Supporters membership card. Loved Shuggie too, sad news!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, cambiebud said:

Hugh was in the team when I started going to games as a child and was in The Alex Wright Champions Team. RIP

Lovely guy. I recall him taking time out after the team were training at the racecourse to say hello and chat. We called him Chopper.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Very sad news Great player in my earliest St Mirren supporting days  Always remember Hugh for being sent off against sellic in the league cup semi final 
 
8323FE1E-1F24-4294-8AAC-C1E105E25960.jpeg.38fa90e8958f7eb266c9a7d79671bfe0.jpeg


Hugh never got the credit he deserved. Very versatile player who at one time , when Peter Kane was injured , was played at No9 for a wee while , and scored goals for fun. Looking back , I always wondered why they didn’t persist with him up front . As for the LC Semi , he was stitched up that night. Celtic we’re struggling before Hughie was sent off , still 0-0. Then Archie Knox scored a perfectly good goal and was ruled offside. Late in the game we tired with the 10 men and conceded 3 in about 10 mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, billyg said:

As for the LC Semi , he was stitched up that night. Celtic we’re struggling before Hughie was sent off , still 0-0. Then Archie Knox scored a perfectly good goal and was ruled offside. Late in the game we tired with the 10 men and conceded 3 in about 10 mins.

 

Nothing changes, eh?

Edited by saint in exile
to clarify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, billyg said:

 


Hugh never got the credit he deserved. Very versatile player who at one time , when Peter Kane was injured , was played at No9 for a wee while , and scored goals for fun. Looking back , I always wondered why they didn’t persist with him up front . As for the LC Semi , he was stitched up that night. Celtic we’re struggling before Hughie was sent off , still 0-0. Then Archie Knox scored a perfectly good goal and was ruled offside. Late in the game we tired with the 10 men and conceded 3 in about 10 mins.

 

3 goals in 4 mins Billy round about the hour mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just catching up with this sad news, Hugh was most definitely an integral part of that championship winning team, I never realized that he and Bobby didn't get medals how bizarre is that different times but weird? in truth this is the team that I saw play more than any other they all to this day hold so many very special memories to me. Sadly another passes but in the annals of saints memorabilia they will never be forgotten as the champions and record setter they where and are. Condolences to the family God bless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...