Gus on way out

39 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Shit, I'm disappointed about that. Our recruitment has been broddly excellent over the past couple of years.

I don't think Gus can take all the credit for all the signings. I know he wasn't responsible for Hladky,  Popescu etc.

Just now, waldorf34 said:

You can get every bit of info you need on players on Wyscout and other platforms ,recruiting is then down to money 

I’m sure Tony said at the midweek Q+A that we use Wyscout.

Jim Goodwin clearly said that he liked to be close to the recruitment side stating that he had good contacts in England and that he had sound knowledge of Ireland hence the signings of McCarthy and McGrath in January.As a club we have to run the operation as prudently as possible.

I’m sure Tony said at the midweek Q+A that we use Wyscout.

Shame if true, hopefully get someone in that can do as good a job. He has been a resounding success in that job since coming in. 

- Survival in SP

- Second highest SP finish 

- Very positive looking recruitment this summer. 

I know there are a few with pre-held views on Gus that cloud their judgement but it's been a good spell with him back. 

Is Gordon still hands on with the club? Heard he’s not really been involved recently it’s more been kibble, even the updates we usually get don’t have his name attributed to them, just putting two and two together here but maybe that’s why gus is away, he was Gordon’s mate was he not ? 

Gus has always served StMirren well.  

So I’m disappointed that he’s leaving, but apart from the Cv19 financial hit, the “probable” loss of simple digital funding AND comments from both JG and TF last week about how hiring fresh talent should be done by St Mirren - I’m no too surprised, just a wee bit saddened.

best wishes, Gus. 

Well said.

So I’m disappointed that he’s leaving, but apart from the Cv19 financial hit, the “probable” loss of simple digital funding AND comments from both JG and TF last week about how hiring fresh talent should be done by St Mirren - I’m no too surprised, just a wee bit saddened.

best wishes, Gus. 

34 minutes ago, antrin said:

best wishes, Gus. 

If things don't improve soon, there could be more casualties. :( 

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

You have no direct evidence to support that statement unless you are GLS.

It’s more likely that the club are having to make cuts to deal with the impact of Covid-19 on the available budget. Losing stadium sponsorship and no hospitality bookings are two large income streams we are without for the time being.

Just my view based on what's happened. He was brought in to improve recruitment and recruitment improved the very next window. There always going to be some that want to rain on that parade but I'm happy to say well done to him for his part. 

Yeah Probably, will be a shame if the responsibilities are having to be absorbed into other people already at the club, again Gus seemed to be doing a very good job. 

2 hours ago, pod said:

If things don't improve soon, there could be more casualties. :( 

Indeed. The ludicrous and completely needless restrictions aren’t going away anytime soon.

I can’t see crowds back inside football grounds until after the winter. 

The madness will continue 

Edited by Sue Denim

6 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

You can get every bit of info you need on players on Wyscout and other platforms ,recruiting is then down to money 

Except vital stuff like attitude, mental strength, willingness to work in a team environment, resilience under pressure and a whole host of other personal metrics which no computer will ever be able to accurately or meaningfully monitor.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Except vital stuff like attitude, mental strength, willingness to work in a team environment, resilience under pressure and a whole host of other personal metrics which no computer will ever be able to accurately or meaningfully monitor.

Wyscout is the starting point. It gauges who the manager might want to take a more in depth look at. Not sure we need a highly paid employee to do this given our current situation. Money should be earmarked for the addition of those who the manager thinks would fit in. Both mentally and in the football sense.

26 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Wyscout is the starting point. It gauges who the manager might want to take a more in depth look at. Not sure we need a highly paid employee to do this given our current situation. Money should be earmarked for the addition of those who the manager thinks would fit in. Both mentally and in the football sense.

Indeed.

I'm sure that between them, Goodwin, Sharp, Langfield, and even McManus and Junior, can work together to ascertain the necessary attributes that a player possesses. We've also got Andy Webster there too.

Gus was a luxury that we simply could no longer afford.