Gus on way out

6 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Only a genius could mastermind a team to lose to nine men in  extra  time. And even survive it to avoid dismissal.

Wasn't in extra time. 

I would blame our 11 players that were on the pitch rather than the manager.

33 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Wasn't in extra time. 

I would blame our 11 players that were on the pitch rather than the manager.

Aye.

I'd go along with that.

He'd been good enough to get them there, keeping them in the top flight - without the benefit of the club's own training facilities - and on a limited budget.

The ref had done the honest thing... and yet that team failed on the day.

I may be still be a little upset about that...

The situation now is pretty different from 2 years ago. Back then we had a numpty signing players and wasting loads of money we could not afford. We were also offering these shite players 2 and 3 year deals with no-one else checking if they were worth it. Exit Stubbs and enter Kearney. Kearny knew little of the Scottish League and players so needed help. Enter Gus. Gus did sign some decent players but mostly on 1 year contracts which made us having to repeat the process all over again every 12 months. Gus also scouted far and wide for players.

Enter Jim. Whereas Kearney did not have the knowledge and time to check players as he was back in NI every week Jim did have a good knowledge of Scottish football and had contacts and knowledge of LoI football. Kearney agreed to Gus's recommendations whereas Jim wants to personally check over all potential signings. Jim allegedly wants to concentrate on British players and continuity with 2 year deals so the need to change the whole setup every 12 months has decreased and we don't need someone to fly to Prague on a wet Tue night to watch a reserve game.

Gus done a good and honest job with us and I wish him all the best however I can understand in these hard times that we cannot afford to pay for a full time senior scout when the manager is prepared to do the checking and has the final say on appointments.

Best of luck Gus in the future.

Edited by Sonny
sp

2 hours ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Only a genius could mastermind a team to lose to nine men in  extra  time. And even survive it to avoid dismissal.

Irrelevant to his most recent role at the club. Shull mentality with some being incapable of letting anything go. 

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

The situation now is pretty different from 2 years ago. Back then we had a numpty signing players and wasting loads of money we could not afford. We were also offering these shite players 2 and 3 year deals with no-one else checking if they were worth it. Exit Stubbs and enter Kearney. Kearny knew little of the Scottish League and players so needed help. Enter Gus. Gus did sign some decent players but mostly on 1 year contracts which made us having to repeat the process all over again every 12 months. Gus also scouted far and wide for players.

Enter Jim. Whereas Kearney did not have the knowledge and time to check players as he was back in NI every week Jim did have a good knowledge of Scottish football and had contacts and knowledge of LoI football. Kearney agreed to Gus's recommendations whereas Jim wants to personally check over all potential signings. Jim allegedly wants to concentrate on British players and continuity with 2 year deals so the need to change the whole setup every 12 months has decreased and we don't need someone to fly to Prague on a wet Tue night to watch a reserve game.

Gus done a good and honest job with us and I wish him all the best however I can understand in these hard times that we cannot afford to pay for a full time senior scout when the manager is prepared to do the checking and has the final say on appointments.

Best of luck Gus in the future.

Yeah, a lot of the work will be unseen. Who knows what structures he’s helped to put in place in terms of the academy, scouting and analysis. While we have wyescout now, it wasn’t really there previously so that’s all been managed through.

We also failed the beat the fakes at home when they had 9 men sometime after Gus had left. Think Lennon was the manager.

I didn't know they were down to 9 men, and it was only when fans started screaming about not being able to beat 9 men again i then counted the players on the pitch  :lol:

Didn't know about the 1st sending off due to being in the toilet and the mate didn't think to tell me  :shockaroony

I thought you knew he said, i was having a pish i said, well you know now he said  :lol:

10 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Cant believe the neg towards Gus on here, so called fans !!

Guy got us up and kept us up, and ok we lost to a Club 100 times our size but I am over it

Wish him all the best and a big thanks to what he has done for our club...………….

Never over it until we beat them in a final

He was a success apart from that 30 mins in that final which in the end lost him his job

I wish him all the best

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

We also failed the beat the fakes at home when they had 9 men sometime after Gus had left. Think Lennon was the manager.

I didn't know they were down to 9 men, and it was only when fans started screaming about not being able to beat 9 men again i then counted the players on the pitch  :lol:

Didn't know about the 1st sending off due to being in the toilet and the mate didn't think to tell me  :shockaroony

I thought you knew he said, i was having a pish i said, well you know now he said  :lol:

Were you taking the pish. :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, Fricky-Troll said:

Except we were playing a team wanting rid of their manager.

That was an important win obviously, but only came about because the Celtic team chose that opportunity to get Mowbray out the door.

Oh come on FFS.

Beating Celtic 4-0 no ANY occasion is almost unheard of and was a fantastic achievement.

Picking holes in a historic win is ridiculous.

Oh and BTW, if you re-watch the highlights, that Celtic team could have been at least a couple of goals up before we got going. If those had gone in, we'd have been looking at a very different result.

We should enjoy those sorts of nights.

Edited by oaksoft

Oh come on FFS.
Beating Celtic 4-0 no ANY occasion is almost unheard of and was a fantastic achievement.
Picking holes in a historic win is ridiculous.
Oh and BTW, if you re-watch the highlights, that Celtic team could have been at least a couple of goals up before we got going. If those had gone in, we'd have been looking at a very different result.
We should enjoy those sorts of nights.

I did enjoy it. It was also an important result.

It’s also my belief we played a team wanting shot of their manager.

1 hour ago, Fricky-Troll said:

You haven’t seen players ‘down tools’ for the manager ? It’s happened even in the top league in England

Not generally for any OF team.

History is littered with clubs who thought the OF wouldn't be up for a match only to find themselves on the end of a tanking.

Not generally for any OF team.
History is littered with clubs who thought the OF wouldn't be up for a match only to find themselves on the end of a tanking.

That’s fair enough, my view on that one game remains however.

I don’t think we will lose both of our next 2 games Sevco/Celtic but it will be more down to our performances than theirs.