Massive Explosion in Beirut

faraway saint

Loads of tweets offering prayers to those affected. Prayers to whom, an omnipotent god who could have prevented it from happening?
Idiots.
Aye, but someone will claim to have found a bible/qur'an that hasn't been destroyed in the explosion and claim that god saved it. f**k the people who died, just save the book of fairytales.

13 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Loads of tweets offering prayers to those affected. Prayers to whom, an omnipotent god who could have prevented it from happening?

Idiots.

Seriously mate what's the point in posting shit like this....

I was brought up Catholic but would consider myself Agnostic, or even in the "who gives a f**k" category, but if a wee prayer gives someone a small bit of hope or peace of mind in this crazy world what harm is it doing,

Going by your post I can imagine you find your peace of mind in a hauf bottle and a bag of cans...

I was brought up Catholic but would consider myself Agnostic, or even in the "who gives a f**k" category, but if a wee prayer gives someone a small bit of hope or peace of mind in this crazy world what harm is it doing,
Going by your post I can imagine you find your peace of mind in a hauf bottle and a bag of cans...
We are all agnostic - at least all sane honest people are.

Gnosticism/agnosticism relates to knowledge, theism/atheism relates to belief. The difference between saying that you KNOW a god exists or that you BELIEVE a god exists.

If you believe but don't know for certain that a god exists then you would be an agnostic theist, if you don't believe and don't know for certain then you would be an agnostic atheist.

Anyway, I think you missed the point he was making.

2 minutes ago, Slarti said:

We are all agnostic - at least all sane honest people are.

Gnosticism/agnosticism relates to knowledge, theism/atheism relates to belief. The difference between saying that you KNOW a god exists or that you BELIEVE a god exists.

If you believe but don't know for certain that a god exists then you would be an agnostic theist, if you don't believe and don't know for certain then you would be an agnostic atheist.

Anyway, I think you missed the point he was making.

Nah mate I know exactly the point he was making, 

I'm a wee bit confused by yours though.. I've never gave it that much thought..🤣

28 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

Loads of posts from people offering thoughts and prayers.

Thoughts? Yes, of course as we all do. 

Prayers? As I said already, to whom? The omnipotent god of Judeo-Christians? Allah? The one that has an elephant head? The one with six arms? 

Superstitious mumbo jumbo that the world can do without.

I was brought up Catholic but would consider myself Agnostic,

Nah mate I know exactly the point he was making, 
I'm a wee bit confused by yours though.. I've never gave it that much thought..[emoji1787]

My point was that you can be agnostic and catholic, they are not mutually exclusive.

3 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Idiots.

And so yet another tedious day of nauseating virtue signalling begins......"thoughts and prayers etc".

Latest reports saying the number of dead around 100 with 4,000 injured.
Not surprised, don't think I've ever seen such an explosion. 

Looking at the ‘explosion’ from various angles, it almost replicated what you would see on a nuclear explosion by its characteristics ( obviously not nuclear though ) but that was an almighty ‘explosion’

After I'd heard/read about this and seen the limited footage I suspected it wouldn't be the usual "bomb, gas, terrorist" effort.

I'd visited Halifax in Nova Scotia last year and read a lot and seen hundreds of similar scenes to what Beirut has experienced - from a blast in 1917.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

Quite unimaginably catastrophic scenes.

I remember when Beirut was like Paris or Rome...  Civilisation's a thin veneer.

Right.

That's enough merry quips from me, for the day!   :(

7 minutes ago, antrin said:

I remember when Beirut was like Paris or Rome...  Civilisation's a thin veneer.

Very true and worth repeating - especially to younger people.

We saw glimpses of it during lockdown with panic buying.

The supermarkets and other food shops staying open was the only thing holding our society together.

It was the same with the petrol strikes 20-ish years ago.

It was all fun and games until supermarkets started running out of food and then the protests abruptly stopped. 8-10 days that took to bring the country to the very edge of breakdown.

We're only ever one major emergency away from everything around us being brought down.