Jakubiak

14 minutes ago, Pppppp8 said:

How come a player 4 times too expensive for Saints... joined Dundee. 

It's easy.

When we negotiated with him several weeks ago following his release, he requested a wage that was several times what we were willing to pay him.

In the 6 or 7 weeks since, he clearly has not had any takers at the price his agent was floating for him.

Dundee have come in with an offer significantly lower than the demands his agent put to us, one that he's reassessed and decided is now acceptable.

His agent has come back to us to try and play us against Dundee's offer to try and get a similar or better deal and Goodwin has decided (as per his interview with Ali de Foy earlier) that he simply doesn't score enough goals to justify that wage, so have at you Dundee.

Also, he wasn't 4 times too expensive for us, JG said we could have got 3 or 4 players for the wage he demanded, there's a difference. 

So ...am I correct ?  You suggest that Saints were not prepared to pay the same as Dundee. As they thought he was not worth the wage his agent asked for. Even though the wage demand was reduced. Saints could get more players in for a similar outlay... ?  I thought he was an exciting player last year... reasonable quality.  Not sure that Saints will get in the same quality. I would rather we paid the same as Dundee for Jakubiak, than bring in two or three poorer quality players.  Hopefully Jim has somebody else of a similar quality in mind.  Anx gets him importantly.  Seems a shame Jak has gone to the Championship rather than us.  

Surely Saints could have matched his wage demands. Jim wanted him and knew that he was not a great goalscorer. He was a good forward player though and made a difference for us last season.  For a wage Dundee could afford... I think we should also be able to afford him as we have higher revenue.  He would be an asset. Championship ? ... he is better than that.  Surely he WANTS better than that ?  Anyhoo... Jim's choice it appears. Hopefully he has even better lined up.... 

Surely Saints could have matched his wage demands. Jim wanted him and knew that he was not a great goalscorer. He was a good forward player though and made a difference for us last season.  For a wage Dundee could afford... I think we should also be able to afford him as we have higher revenue.  He would be an asset. Championship ? ... he is better than that.  Surely he WANTS better than that ?  Anyhoo... Jim's choice it appears. Hopefully he has even better lined up.... 
Take it you haven't heard Goodwin talking tonight ?

It's f**king mental how Jakubiak and Danny Mullen have suddenly became became Ibrahimovic and Lewandowski since leaving for the league below in some fans eyes. 

Both were hard workers and decent enough players who brought something to the team in fleeting glimpses but let's not pretend they won't go the same way as Cammy Smith (another whose ability we inflated above his level upon leaving) in finding their level in the championship. 

I certainly wouldn't be paying Alex Jakubiak the level of money I heard Dundee are paying him. In my opinion we'll get far a better quality of player for the level of wage he is on. 

It's f**king mental how Jakubiak and Danny Mullen have suddenly became became Ibrahimovic and Lewandowski since leaving for the league below in some fans eyes. 
Both were hard workers and decent enough players who brought something to the team in fleeting glimpses but let's not pretend they won't go the same way as Cammy Smith (another whose ability we inflated above his level upon leaving) in finding their level in the championship. 
I certainly wouldn't be paying Alex Jakubiak the level of money I heard Dundee are paying him. In my opinion we'll get far a better quality of player for the level of wage he is on. 
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
Sanity at last.

Don't get me wrong...
I expect Dundee to finish highest scorers in the Championship and our two ex players to score for fun...

at that level!

Does not mean they would have been the long term answer to our goal drought at a higher level.

What worries me is that he has chosen to play for a club a league below us and their season doesn’t start until Oct 17th. He won’t be playing top quality opposition and with a move to saints he would be putting himself In the shop window again by playing in our top division. Are Dundee really able to pay him better than we are? Aren’t we a league above with better money coming in ? It’s a worry for me that he’s opted to join them. I understand we will sign another striker but actually it’s another two we need . We lost Cooke, Mullen , jakubiak and chabbi from the team that finished last term. Whilst Obika was top man he needs challenged and he needs protection. What happens if he is injured. I’m just disappointed we lost out on a quality player .  

6 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

What worries me is that he has chosen to play for a club a league below us and their season doesn’t start until Oct 17th. He won’t be playing top quality opposition and with a move to saints he would be putting himself In the shop window again by playing in our top division. Are Dundee really able to pay him better than we are? Aren’t we a league above with better money coming in ? It’s a worry for me that he’s opted to join them. I understand we will sign another striker but actually it’s another two we need . We lost Cooke, Mullen , jakubiak and chabbi from the team that finished last term. Whilst Obika was top man he needs challenged and he needs protection. What happens if he is injured. I’m just disappointed we lost out on a quality player .  

I think you will find that there will be better players available than Jakubiak and we will get one of them and maybe two !

I also predict that Dundee will finally during the season see sense and get shot of James McPake !

58 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

No. But they are willing to pay him more than we are. It's not about available funds, it's about what you are getting for your outlay and Jakubiak, rightly, shouldn't be in a position where he is commanding a large portion of our budget. The number I heard he went in and requested initially, would have meant he was being paid about 40-50% more than our next highest earner. Decent enough as he was, that's all he was. Decent. Could anyone honestly say he should comfortably have been our highest earner? Absolutely no chance. 

We made the call not to pursue based on what we thought he was worth and his demands being way too far apart to meet in the middle. 

So no, he didn't pick Dundee over us... at the point Dundee had moved in, we had long since removed ourselves from the running.

Goodwin only mentioned the negotatonos with Jakubiak last week and as a result of that, I think a lot of fans feel this is just a recent happening but the negotiations where he outpriced himself were actually about six weeks ago at the point where it was reported us and Livingston (who clearly felt the same having received his wage expectations) were in for him.

By the time the demands have come down, we've either turned our sights elsewhere or decided that Jakubiak is still not worth what Dundee are throwing at him. 

I for one am glad dundee have decided to throw money down the drain on a player who has decided he is billy big boots with wage demands to boot after scoring 1 goal in 10 for us. As mentioned both Livingston and ourselves walked away from thoses demands then the lower demands weeks ago not just recently. JG will get in what we need and we will have a good season i would imagine 2 will come in one a loan(Greg Stewart maybe now theyve signed 2 new ones) and 1 permanent 

21 minutes ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

I for one am glad dundee have decided to throw money down the drain on a player who has decided he is billy big boots with wage demands to boot after scoring 1 goal in 10 for us. As mentioned both Livingston and ourselves walked away from thoses demands then the lower demands weeks ago not just recently. JG will get in what we need and we will have a good season i would imagine 2 will come in one a loan(Greg Stewart maybe now theyve signed 2 new ones) and 1 permanent 

Billy Big Boots. Could you be more Scottish. :lol:

The guy is ambitious. There's nothing wrong with that. At all.

The guys has pocketed the biggest pay packet the market is prepared to pay him.

Exactly how is that a bad thing?

If he was that good he wouldn’t be at Dundee.

He scored 1 goal in 10 games for us.

The way some of our fans have got their knickers in a twist about him you’d think we’d missed out on Messi.

I’m sure we will sign a striker who scores more than 10% of the time before the end of August.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Billy Big Boots. Could you be more Scottish. :lol:

The guy is ambitious. There's nothing wrong with that. At all.

The guys has pocketed the biggest pay packet the market is prepared to pay him.

Exactly how is that a bad thing?

I never said it was a bad thing we all want the most we can from our individual careers my point was 2 premier league clubs walked away from him 1 goal in 10 meant JG wasnt prepared to offer him his first request nor the lower one yet some on here think we have missed out on a Kane or Vardy ps signing for a championship team isnt exactly ambitious but its lined his pockets so fair play on that part of it