St Mirren v Ross County 22/8/20

TopCat

3 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

First things first. St.Mirren were honking today. And yet another horrendous refereeing decision. But I don't get goodys way of thinking. Baird on the bench but he takes Foley ont of the midfield and leaves Baird on the bench. Morias the new Danny Mullen. Tries hard. But that's it. Not a starter in my book. No one scores but Obika. No midfielder has been near getting a goal this season. McAllister I like but so far doesn't do enough for me. Get McGrath in the middle of the park instead of wide. Same old Saints square pegs in round holes. But for the sending off we could have won the game but IMO its papering over the cracks. Next week he has to bring Baird in and leave Foley in the midfield. Poor display Saints and piss poor ref.

Can’t really disagree with anything you have said there Gary. I would bring the new Striker in next week and partner him with Obika. Baird has to start. If you keep Foley in the midfield then you have more chance of protecting the back four. I would also bring McGrath into the role that McAllister has been playing. Bring Kyle on later in the game. Our problem at the moment is ball retention. If we could up our game in that department then the games could become more comfortable for us. I think having Flynn and Magennis back in the midfield will obviously be massive to us. A wee bit more positivity is all that is needed. If you look at pretty much all games this season then two goals are all that is required to win games. There’s not been too many high scoring draws. It’s a missed opportunity today but I think that shows where we have come when we are slightly disappointed with seven points from the first twelve. 

Without reading through all the posts, may i add that the picture on my big tv was far better than the Livy game and not once did it freezes. 
Sometimes the ball can be hard to see while in the air, so i would give it 7/10.

Same for me. Picture and sound were much better quality than the Livi game, although we did lose the commentary for a couple of minutes in the second half.

Big improvement though.

46 minutes ago, munoz said:

Just watched the tackle on Sportscene again there. It does look slightly worse the more times I've seen it ,  but still dont think it's a definite red. What's more galling for me is , the ref on his debut in the Premiership deemed the tackle fine and he was 10yrds away,  but the wee kunt (Scotland's best ref)double the distance away says it's a red. f**k me, what does that say about refs being promoted and the so called teachers? 

I agree to an extent, but I think the rule says risk of injury so wether or not it was intentional or he could've done anything I can't see it being overturned. Also imagine that's against us and there's a crowd. They'd be screaming for a red. 

50 minutes ago, munoz said:

Just watched the tackle on Sportscene again there. It does look slightly worse the more times I've seen it ,  but still dont think it's a definite red. What's more galling for me is , the ref on his debut in the Premiership deemed the tackle fine and he was 10yrds away,  but the wee kunt (Scotland's best ref)double the distance away says it's a red. f**k me, what does that say about refs being promoted and the so called teachers? 

The referee followed the ball and missed the follow through. Willie didn't because he is a top referee. Ref being promoted will learn and teacher doing his job. For his first Premiership match referee did well overall. He was solid throughout and brave. Did well.

Will be very surprised if this is overturned and have a feeling we won't appeal it.

Edited by lenziebud

29 minutes ago, Caldy_87 said:

Can’t really disagree with anything you have said there Gary. I would bring the new Striker in next week and partner him with Obika. Baird has to start. If you keep Foley in the midfield then you have more chance of protecting the back four. I would also bring McGrath into the role that McAllister has been playing. Bring Kyle on later in the game. Our problem at the moment is ball retention. If we could up our game in that department then the games could become more comfortable for us. I think having Flynn and Magennis back in the midfield will obviously be massive to us. A wee bit more positivity is all that is needed. If you look at pretty much all games this season then two goals are all that is required to win games. There’s not been too many high scoring draws. It’s a missed opportunity today but I think that shows where we have come when we are slightly disappointed with seven points from the first twelve. 

Baird really ?. Think he might be back in the Championship soon. We have better cover than Baird.

Agree on Morais and McAlister though. Think we won't see a lot of them soon once Flynn and Magennis are back with Dennis hopefully shaping up.

McAlister injuries at 21 are worrying for him. Struggling badly for fitness and ruining his career at the moment.

26 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Baird really ?. Think he might be back in the Championship soon. We have better cover than Baird.

Agree on Morais and McAlister though. Think we won't see a lot of them soon once Flynn and Magennis are back with Dennis hopefully shaping up.

McAlister injuries at 21 are worrying for him. Struggling badly for fitness and ruining his career at the moment.

While you may well be right and Baird will end up in the Championship, I don’t think that’s a glowing endorsement from the manager in not trusting him to replace either of the other Centre Backs. In your opinion who would you say is better cover? I know that Foley is a far superior player but you always want him in the midfield. I don’t think it’s great to be shifting players around the positions unless you are struggling with injuries. 

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

The referee followed the ball and missed the follow through. Willie didn't because he is a top referee. Ref being promoted will learn and teacher doing his job. For his first Premiership match referee did well overall. He was solid throughout and brave. Did well.

Will be very surprised if this is overturned and have a feeling we won't appeal it.

If you stop saying Willie is a top referee,  I might take you seriously.. 

9 hours ago, munoz said:

If you stop saying Willie is a top referee,  I might take you seriously.. 

Well the number of Champions League matches that Willie Collum has refereed. On the elite FIFA list. The number of OF matches he has done. The number of Scottish finals he has had.

Maybe just maybe it might be right to say he is a top referee ?

Until you recognise he is a top referee then its difficult to take your comments on a referee seriously ?. What do you think ?

Injuries starting to pile up.

McAllister, Durmus and Thorvaldsson, along with Flynn and Magennis, who are getting nearer to fitness, but don't appear to be ready for action yet.

Factor in Shaghnessy's suspension, and we could be fitting square pegs into round holes again next week.

The situation was summed up in the last 30 minutes yesterday, when you looked at the bench and , other than Dennis and MacPherson, there was no one that could have helped improve the situation.

Fingers crossed the injuries clear up.

Bar his final ball / delivery from dead balls I thought Kyle was much improved yesterday. Hid general play was excellent. I think what he needs is a decent run of games but unfortunately his fitness issues seem to prevent this.

Now that I have a much sober mind, I still believe that it was a red and if it was on one of our players we’d be going mental, he might have got the ball but the follow through was dangerous, absolutely horrific tackle that cost us. If we want to be a top 6 team we should be beating county at home, no ifs no buts. We really need to be more clinical that game should of been out of sight by half time.

Well, OK, its a point but I was disappointed yesterday.  Certainly, the sending off impacted on the result but I felt as soon as that happened the tactics were wrong.  As I said yesterday, when we retreated back into our half/box we gave County an invitation to come at us which they accepted gladly.  We were only one man down not three!  I could appreciate the siege tactic with only five or ten minutes to go but not 25!  It was only a matter of when and not if as they continually attacked us.

I thought Dennis should have come on much sooner and not with just over 5 minutes to go.  An earlier appearance could have had a psychological boost to the team.

On the positive side, Tait must surely be in the lead for the POTY:).  In the three games where we earned points he has scored, assisted and saved a goal.  Well done, Richard.

8 minutes ago, mattman said:

Now that I have a much sober mind, I still believe that it was a red and if it was on one of our players we’d be going mental, he might have got the ball but the follow through was dangerous, absolutely horrific tackle that cost us. If we want to be a top 6 team we should be beating county at home, no ifs no buts. We really need to be more clinical that game should of been out of sight by half time.

Except for the fact that it wasn't a tackle. He went for a loose ball. He got the ball and only caught Stewart on the follow through because the Stewart was going for the ball and didn't get there before Shaughnessy. There was no malice and it couldn't have been classed as a dangerous tackle as, as I said, it wasn't a tackle. If Stewart had got there first the roles would have been reversed.

50 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Injuries starting to pile up.

McAllister, Durmus and Thorvaldsson, along with Flynn and Magennis, who are getting nearer to fitness, but don't appear to be ready for action yet.

Factor in Shaghnessy's suspension, and we could be fitting square pegs into round holes again next week.

The situation was summed up in the last 30 minutes yesterday, when you looked at the bench and , other than Dennis and MacPherson, there was no one that could have helped improve the situation.

Fingers crossed the injuries clear up.

We could start by playing Jamie McGrath in the middle of the park instead of filling the middle with defensive minded midfielders,  Jamie's the most creative midfield player we have i'd be building the team around him,  We have a strong defence one defensive midfielder is plenty especially at home  

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Except for the fact that it wasn't a tackle. He went for a loose ball. He got the ball and only caught Stewart on the follow through because the Stewart was going for the ball and didn't get there before Shaughnessy. There was no malice and it couldn't have been classed as a dangerous tackle as, as I said, it wasn't a tackle. If Stewart had got there first the roles would have been reversed.

Tackle, kick, whatever. He put his boot into the boys leg, you simply can’t get away with that nowadays.

1 minute ago, mattman said:

Tackle, kick, whatever. He put his boot into the boys leg, you simply can’t get away with that nowadays.

I disagree. He didn't PUT his boot into the boy's leg. That infers a deliberate act. It was a natural follow through which only contacted the other player due to the momentum of BOTH players. An unfortunate accidental collision.

Just now, stlucifer said:

I disagree. He didn't PUT his boot into the boy's leg. That infers a deliberate act. It was a natural follow through which only contacted the other player due to the momentum of BOTH players. An unfortunate accidental collision.

But still a red card unfortunately,  If it’s not then the club will appeal, but I doubt that’s going to happen. Would be massively surprised.

9 minutes ago, mattman said:

But still a red card unfortunately,  If it’s not then the club will appeal, but I doubt that’s going to happen. Would be massively surprised.

An accidental collision shouldn't result in a red card. I doubt the club will appeal because I think the ref has to admit to a mistake for it to be overturned. I can't see double dick admitting he was wrong.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

An accidental collision shouldn't result in a red card. I doubt the club will appeal because I think the ref has to admit to a mistake for it to be overturned. I can't see double dick admitting he was wrong.

But if it’s not a red, they should appeal, why have us playing a CM in defence if the suspended player shouldn’t have been suspended🤷‍♂️. Why put ourselves at a disadvantage when we don’t need to.

16 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Yep. He played the ball with the inside of his foot so obviously studs will show. If he challenged with studs into the ball then that would be different. Ross makes a shit attempt at trying to play the ball and if he actually committed to it could have possibly ended up being classed as a fair strong tackle. But because he shat it Shaughnessy comes out as the bad guy.