St Mirren v Ross County 22/8/20

TopCat

8 minutes ago, mattman said:

But if it’s not a red, they should appeal, why have us playing a CM in defence if the suspended player shouldn’t have been suspended🤷‍♂️. Why put ourselves at a disadvantage when we don’t need to.

Because it costs the club, £1,000 I think, if they're unsuccessful. They would have to be fairly sure it would be overturned. Collum doesn't make mistakes, IN HIS OWN MIND.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Injuries starting to pile up.

McAllister, Durmus and Thorvaldsson, along with Flynn and Magennis, who are getting nearer to fitness, but don't appear to be ready for action yet.

Factor in Shaghnessy's suspension, and we could be fitting square pegs into round holes again next week.

The situation was summed up in the last 30 minutes yesterday, when you looked at the bench and , other than Dennis and MacPherson, there was no one that could have helped improve the situation.

Fingers crossed the injuries clear up.

The fact that Ross C were able to make 5 subs and didn't seem to weaken their team showed their bench was far stronger than our was. 

They even manage to bring a C/H on in the 1st half while we put a midfield player in that position. 

I read a Livy fan on P&B saying that them now got a 1st team pool of 30 players  :shockaroony

7 minutes ago, truesaint said:

Yep. He played the ball with the inside of his foot so obviously studs will show. If he challenged with studs into the ball then that would be different. Ross makes a shit attempt at trying to play the ball and if he actually committed to it could have possibly ended up being classed as a fair strong tackle. But because he shat it Shaughnessy comes out as the bad guy. 

Stewart shat out of the tackle. You can see he withdraws his leading foot just before Shaughnessy makes contact with the ball. 

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Because it costs the club, £1,000 I think, if they're unsuccessful. They would have to be fairly sure it would be overturned. Collum doesn't make mistakes, IN HIS OWN MIND.

😂😂😂 The clubs spent a lot more on a lot worse. I know if I thought I was right I’d be appealing all day long shaunessey is a key player for us and will be a huge loss next week, surely that means more than getting upset about a willie collum agenda. If it’s not a red it should be appealed end of. But it is, so it won’t 🙂

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

The fact that Ross C were able to make 5 subs and didn't seem to weaken their team showed their bench was far stronger than our was. 

They even manage to bring a C/H on in the 1st half while we put a midfield player in that position. 

I read a Livy fan on P&B saying that them now got a 1st team pool of 30 players  :shockaroony

Also, none of their 30 a players from their development squad.

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Well the number of Champions League matches that Willie Collum has refereed. On the elite FIFA list. The number of OF matches he has done. The number of Scottish finals he has had.

Maybe just maybe it might be right to say he is a top referee ?

Until you recognise he is a top referee then its difficult to take your comments on a referee seriously ?. What do you think ?

He is classed as a top referee by the paper shufflers

What we have witnessed over the years he certainly isn't

1 hour ago, mattman said:

Tackle, kick, whatever. He put his boot into the boys leg, you simply can’t get away with that nowadays.

You certainly can

5 mins after the sending off

Morais passed the ball and the left back went through him late

No attempt to play the ball yet the same outcome

Player lay down hurt,foul given this time but no card no even a word

What's the difference?

20 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

You certainly can

5 mins after the sending off

Morais passed the ball and the left back went through him late

No attempt to play the ball yet the same outcome

Player lay down hurt,foul given this time but no card no even a word

What's the difference?

I agree there definitely has to be consistency in games. 

37 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

He is classed as a top referee by the paper shufflers

What we have witnessed over the years he certainly isn't

Would love to see where Collum was standing by comparison to the referee and linesman. Doubt very much he had the better view. Convinced Collum reacted to the greetin faced County players and the mortally wounded fanny that is Ross Stewart.

Watched highlights and again unimpressed with saints. I knew when we lost a player we wouldn’t win, as I followed the game on radio..  I really think Morais must be dropped, he is useless. Obika can have a stay of execution whilst he is scoring but I still don’t think he is good enough at this level. Desperately need a decent forward, perhaps things may improve when Flynn and Magennis return. With some of the more fancied teams not doing so well, this could have been our chance to open up some daylight from them, particularly as we are not scoring many goals, but it was ever thus. Wonder when I will next be able to attend, as I didn’t renew my season ticket so can’t watch games or be considered for ant ballot etc.

Jim needs to get a handle on the substitutions, Kettlewell had made good changes before the sending off, we can only expect tired endings to games if the opposition make their full 5 changes and we only choose to make them when forced to. Doesn't appear Jim has confidence in many on the bench.
He has no confidence in his subs. You would need to be blind not to notice he doesn't trust Bairdy. Or Ethan. Seems to me he's trying reinvent the wheel. Bairdy should start next week so we can keep Foley in midfield. But he won't. . Get McGrath in the middle of midfield and not wide. Anybody any idea why Durmass was not in the squad yesterday. I assuming he's injured.

48 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Watched highlights and again unimpressed with saints. I knew when we lost a player we wouldn’t win, as I followed the game on radio..  I really think Morais must be dropped, he is useless. Obika can have a stay of execution whilst he is scoring but I still don’t think he is good enough at this level. Desperately need a decent forward, perhaps things may improve when Flynn and Magennis return. With some of the more fancied teams not doing so well, this could have been our chance to open up some daylight from them, particularly as we are not scoring many goals, but it was ever thus. Wonder when I will next be able to attend, as I didn’t renew my season ticket so can’t watch games or be considered for ant ballot etc.

Your feelings on obika is the exact same I felt last year around now when he looked way behind in terms of fitness and sharpness. 

cant say that now, a Scottish club with a small budget that has a striker that’s actually finding the net, it’s hard to come by for us tbf, probably one of my favourite players at the moment is big bad John, do you have anybody in mind as an improvement ? And if so who?

42 minutes ago, mattman said:

Your feelings on obika is the exact same I felt last year around now when he looked way behind in terms of fitness and sharpness. 

cant say that now, a Scottish club with a small budget that has a striker that’s actually finding the net, it’s hard to come by for us tbf, probably one of my favourite players at the moment is big bad John, do you have anybody in mind as an improvement ? And if so who?

No players in mind as unable to watch any games at present. Am prepared to indulge Obika if he keeps scoring. Morais should be shown the door. Also thought our centre half was hard done by to be dismissed for what was only a strong challenge.

4 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Well, OK, its a point but I was disappointed yesterday.  Certainly, the sending off impacted on the result but I felt as soon as that happened the tactics were wrong.  As I said yesterday, when we retreated back into our half/box we gave County an invitation to come at us which they accepted gladly.  We were only one man down not three!  I could appreciate the siege tactic with only five or ten minutes to go but not 25!  It was only a matter of when and not if as they continually attacked us.

I thought Dennis should have come on much sooner and not with just over 5 minutes to go.  An earlier appearance could have had a psychological boost to the team.

On the positive side, Tait must surely be in the lead for the POTY:).  In the three games where we earned points he has scored, assisted and saved a goal.  Well done, Richard.

Absolutely all of the above. 👍

37 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

No players in mind as unable to watch any games at present. Am prepared to indulge Obika if he keeps scoring. Morais should be shown the door. Also thought our centre half was hard done by to be dismissed for what was only a strong challenge.

I’m a bit meh about morias, he definitely puts the effort in, can be a bit tricky for defenders, but just lacks a final product, but he does all the dirty work up top whilst big Obika strolls it. Sometimes I think he tries too hard, but every week he’s starting to grow on me more, wouldn’t of been bothered to see him binned during the summer. I think he will eventually prove a lot of us wrong. Might just need a goal to get the confidence going, hope I’m right.

44 minutes ago, mattman said:

I’m a bit meh about morias, he definitely puts the effort in, can be a bit tricky for defenders, but just lacks a final product, but he does all the dirty work up top whilst big Obika strolls it. Sometimes I think he tries too hard, but every week he’s starting to grow on me more, wouldn’t of been bothered to see him binned during the summer. I think he will eventually prove a lot of us wrong. Might just need a goal to get the confidence going, hope I’m right.

Quite a few have opined that Morais “just needs a goal “ . That ship has sailed, it was easy to spot in one game that he lacks ability at this level. Perhaps his contract is so onerous that whoever sanctioned it is  too embarrassed to admit the mistake. A lack of funds does not make it necessary to accept second rate players. A good eye for a player would save precious funds. With any luck Mr Morais’ has run out.

15 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I can’t find the SFA version, but check this out fourth-official-guidance.ashx

1st one probably covers every eventuality........

During the Match

The Fourth Official
 assists the Referee at all times.

33 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Quite a few have opined that Morais “just needs a goal “ . That ship has sailed, it was easy to spot in one game that he lacks ability at this level. Perhaps his contract is so onerous that whoever sanctioned it is  too embarrassed to admit the mistake. A lack of funds does not make it necessary to accept second rate players. A good eye for a player would save precious funds. With any luck Mr Morais’ has run out.

😂😂, take it ye stole yer last chip ? But who would you get in instead ? I was honestly done with him last season but he’s not really done much wrong this season apart from end product. Think you are being a wee bit too harsh considering you’ve no actually seen him play this season bud

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

I can’t find the SFA version, but check this out fourth-official-guidance.ashx

I note the part which says "it is expected that referees will only seek assistance from the Fourth Official in respect of significant match changing incidents which have been missed by the other three match officials and which are clearly visible to the Fourth Official. Such incidents are: red card offences  "  I would expect the SFA follows similar rules to the English FA, therefore the red car decision was a breach of the rules.

40 minutes ago, Kenny fae Partick' said:

I note the part which says "it is expected that referees will only seek assistance from the Fourth Official in respect of significant match changing incidents which have been missed by the other three match officials and which are clearly visible to the Fourth Official. Such incidents are: red card offences  "  I would expect the SFA follows similar rules to the English FA, therefore the red car decision was a breach of the rules.

That would work had the game been stopped for a foul, it hadn’t. Play was allowed to continue because the referee saw no foul, it wasn’t a case of waiting to see how play developed as there was obviously no potential advantage to Ross County. The game was stopped because of injury, which wasn’t even a head knock, and then the 4th official became involved.......had he called it straight away then there may be an argument for your quote above but the 4th official wasn't better placed than either the referee nor the far side linesman so no way was it clearly visible. I don’t think it was any anti-St Mirren thing but I doesn’t sit right.

3 hours ago, HSS said:

Is it normal for a 4th official to overturn a Refs decision?

Had this discussion with my son and got no were.  But I thought ref. and lines persons were only responsible for play on the park and fourth for anything off park. :unsure: