Jump to content

Long John Baldy

St Johnstone v St Mirren Sat 29th Aug

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, magnus said:

Kyle Magennis and Ryan Flynn will hopefully provide a much needed injection of skill and attack minded play. 

Agree, can only hope they will give some much need vitality to a stale midfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately it is the case where we are very short on quality. We have 7 players of decent quality. 2 still injured and 1 not available for selection. New boys still to prove themselves but thought Dennis looked much better at hold up and link up play than Obika and Morais who both had shit games.  WTF was Sheron doing not sliding in to block/clear the ball for the goal or was the tv angle just making him look as if he could. Jim should have had the balls to go with the new boys from the start. Durmus and McAllister were howling. So many things wrong with selection and formation etc. Think we will be ok when Flynn and Magennis are back and Jim will change the dimension of the type of game we play. He will be raging at the performances of a few and think he will drop a few next week. Thank feck for the international break so we can watch Scotland lose instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can read the script already. Fingers to be crossed that Hamilton keep losing and perhaps another to save us. Same story every season. I’ve not seen a second of today’s game, and won’t bother with the “highlights “ later. I assume the invisible strike force of O and M were posted missing yet again. Unless we get someone to score goals, I hope the current rules of no fans continues. I couldn’t go through another season like the last couple. The goalie apart, I defy anyone to post anything positive about saints at present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, [email protected] said:

I can read the script already. Fingers to be crossed that Hamilton keep losing and perhaps another to save us. Same story every season. I’ve not seen a second of today’s game, and won’t bother with the “highlights “ later. I assume the invisible strike force of O and M were posted missing yet again. Unless we get someone to score goals, I hope the current rules of no fans continues. I couldn’t go through another season like the last couple. The goalie apart, I defy anyone to post anything positive about saints at present.

Tait was decent again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, munoz said:

I sense the break has come at the perfect time for us after today's performance. Goodwin got his starting formation wrong, and from then on seemed to tinker with the team for the rest of the afternoon. Injuries didn't help matters,  but that isn't the reason we lost. We were disjointed from back to front and severely missed a calm head in central midfield. 

 

H e needs to get his best players on the park. Starting Morais and McAlister should stop now. If he doesn't have enough in his squad to put these 2 on the bench for a good while then we are in trouble. Durmus is probably another we could do without. We need Dennis to come good and Connolly to shape up. Hope that Flynn and Macgennis can get up and running quickly but think they will take a while.

We are strong defensively and have a reasonable amount of quality in midfield.

So far this season and most of last we have been utter [email protected] in the final third. JG has a few transfer windows now to get that sorted and so far we are still waiting. If its not sorted then we will be down in the last 4 again battling to stay up

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

H e needs to get his best players on the park. Starting Morais and McAlister should stop now. If he doesn't have enough in his squad to put these 2 on the bench for a good while then we are in trouble. Durmus is probably another we could do without. We need Dennis to come good and Connolly to shape up. Hope that Flynn and Macgennis can get up and running quickly but think they will take a while.

We are strong defensively and have a reasonable amount of quality in midfield.

So far this season and most of last we have been utter [email protected] in the final third. JG has a few transfer windows now to get that sorted and so far we are still waiting. If its not sorted then we will be down in the last 4 again battling to stay up

 

Thought Connolly looked half decent with plenty of pace and backtracked well to win possession. I feel we're not far away from a good starting eleven,  but Goody needs to sort out his tactics. 

Definitely cant be over critical of the front players today because the service was woeful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible performance for what has been a great start to the season
alnwick and tait only pass mark from me most were very poor including the tactics.


Still happy with the start to the season overall as a whole though.

Hopefully just an off day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not mincing my words tonight we was absolutely shit and to go 70 mins against a poor st.johnstone team with a shot or corner is criminal: this team and this manager are getting relegated as they brutal,:a no it's only August but after listening to Goodwin shittin his pants at ibrox a didn't expect the same inept performance against fakes,was he going for another 0-0 borefestas for junior McAllister durmas il pay for them to leave as 3 passengers:so a wonder what shit Goodwin says tonight as he like listening to a tape recorder and a believe you reap what you sow or get out a game what u put in and we got NOTHING 

Edited by paul torfason
Spelling mistakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Predictable I suppose as after the pundits bigging us up we fall flat on our faces.
Goodwin is still inexperienced at this level and sometimes gets it wrong. He definitely got it wrong today.
As much as I agree with Goodwin not rating Baird. If taking Foley out of the midfield causes so much disruption , then maybe Baird at CH is the least worst option.
Agree with you about not playing Baird and weakening the midfield by moving Forly to C/H. Haven't seen any of the game so not going to ruined my sat night by doing so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Agree with you about not playing Baird and weakening the midfield by moving Forly to C/H. Haven't seen any of the game so not going to ruined my sat night by doing so emoji56.png

In the first half Foley was in midfield. The problem was the midfield today lacked balance, with two many attacking players and not enough ball winners. For those claiming Goody was too defensive today, it was actually a very attacking line up. The problem was we lost the midfield battle and only looked like challenging in there when Foley and MacPherson were playing at the base of the midfield. When Fraser went off and Foley had to move back, we lost the battle again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor performance and second best all over the park - thought we were woefully short in the middle of the park Need Flynn and Magennis back in there.

Positives  - keeper and Tait played well. Dennis showed some nice touches and held ball up well but no real service to him so hard to judge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s get one thing straight - we have not had a good start to the season.
Most will acknowledge that we were fortunate to win the games we did against some of the weakest teams in the league.
Apart from Sevco, we have still to play the stronger teams and our only glimmer of hope is that Magennis and Flynn return soon and that the new signings help to make a difference.
Yes we are comparatively strong in defence but our midfield has been consistently overrun in every game so far.
Tactically we are as negative as any team in the league.
Let’s hope things improve drastically within the next few games, otherwise we will be heading back to the Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but Goody picked the wrong team again. But this time he never got away with it. Baird should have been at CH freeing up Foley to get back in midfield . Morias has had his chances. He's not good enough. The supply to Obika was non existent. Again trying to rely on our defence to get us a result. All good having a good defence if the midfield and attack is poor. But as usual Goody will say we played like Barcelona and were unlucky. We were not we were poor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morias offers nothing. Dennis done more and linked play quite well. 

McPherson has to start as he seems the only one capable of getting close to opponents and can also put his foot on the ball and pass.

Foley is wasted in defence. 

You couldn't get a Paisley Daily Express under Obikas feet when he challenges for a header. The long ball tactic can only work if you have someone wh o can actually win a header and\or hold up the ball to bring others in. Obikas best work is in the penalty box.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

Sorry but Goody picked the wrong team again. But this time he never got away with it. Baird should have been at CH freeing up Foley to get back in midfield . Morias has had his chances. He's not good enough. The supply to Obika was non existent. Again trying to rely on our defence to get us a result. All good having a good defence if the midfield and attack is poor. But as usual Goody will say we played like Barcelona and were unlucky. We were not we were poor.

Get this guy in charge. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, truesaint said:

Unfortunately it is the case where we are very short on quality. We have 7 players of decent quality. 2 still injured and 1 not available for selection. New boys still to prove themselves but thought Dennis looked much better at hold up and link up play than Obika and Morais who both had shit games.  WTF was Sheron doing not sliding in to block/clear the ball for the goal or was the tv angle just making him look as if he could. Jim should have had the balls to go with the new boys from the start. Durmus and McAllister were howling. So many things wrong with selection and formation etc. Think we will be ok when Flynn and Magennis are back and Jim will change the dimension of the type of game we play. He will be raging at the performances of a few and think he will drop a few next week. Thank feck for the international break so we can watch Scotland lose instead.

Highlighted the key words in your post.

Agree with all of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...