Long John Baldy

St Johnstone v St Mirren Sat 29th Aug

4 hours ago, munoz said:

Thought Connolly looked half decent with plenty of pace and backtracked well to win possession. I feel we're not far away from a good starting eleven,  but Goody needs to sort out his tactics. 

Definitely cant be over critical of the front players today because the service was woeful. 

You were watching a different game to me Munoz. I thought Connolly was absolutely honkin. 

In the first half Foley was in midfield. The problem was the midfield today lacked balance, with two many attacking players and not enough ball winners. For those claiming Goody was too defensive today, it was actually a very attacking line up. The problem was we lost the midfield battle and only looked like challenging in there when Foley and MacPherson were playing at the base of the midfield. When Fraser went off and Foley had to move back, we lost the battle again.
My mistake. From the team lineout I assume Foley was at C/H.

Sorry but Goody picked the wrong team again. But this time he never got away with it. Baird should have been at CH freeing up Foley to get back in midfield . Morias has had his chances. He's not good enough. The supply to Obika was non existent. Again trying to rely on our defence to get us a result. All good having a good defence if the midfield and attack is poor. But as usual Goody will say we played like Barcelona and were unlucky. We were not we were poor.
Now I am confused, was Foley playing C/H or not since other posters think he wasnt

On 8/23/2020 at 6:06 PM, Long John Baldy said:

Just watching St Johnstone v Hibs, still 0-0 but we better watch out, they are not as bad as I thought.

Play down the wings almost every time they attack and deliver a decent cross.

They've had a goal wrongly chalked off and are equal to Hibs all over the park.

Aye, reasonable summary, although I never seen us being so poor.

9 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

You were watching a different game to me Munoz. I thought Connolly was absolutely honkin. 

He was anonymous, but wasn't alone there and it was also his first competitive game in almost six months.

I folded and decided to watch last nights sport scene. I doubt any other team in the league would be so completely overrun by St Johnstone, it was embarrassing. Even the presenters were happy to gloss over Saints performance , such as it was. Now comes a run against the better teams in the league, not something to look forward to. We should be used to it of course, but it’s still difficult to accept. We absolutely MUST sign a goal scorer as the present  lot are useless , and the manager knows that. Either that or fingers must be pointed at JG himself.

The manager has to take a fair proportion of the blame for our abject performance.

Although the players looked like they were a lost tribe from the Amazon who had just been introduced to a football.<_<

The only positives were Alnwick once again making great saves, although he did flap at a cross and The menace looking like a very competent forward. Although we'll actually have to create chances for him to score.

We really need cover for the full back area, as the 3-5-2 formation was a disaster. 

Edited by FTOF

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The manager has to rake a fair proportion of the blame for our abject performance.

Although the players looked like they were a lost tribe from the Amazon who had just been introduced to a football.<_<

The only positives were Alnwick once again making great saves, although he did flap at a cross and The menace looking like a very competent forward. Although we'll actually have to create chances for him to score.

We really need cover for the full back area, as the 3-5-2 formation was a disaster. 

Indeed.

No hiding place for the manager and his supporters.

He can't blame another manager, no time, not his own players etc etc etc.

Aye, the goalie has been a very good find.

14 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
2 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:
Let's not get carried away about last year.
A one goal victory saved us from relegation.

No it didn't. Hearts had to beat us by 2 clear goals.

I don't think they did. :rolleyes:

image.png.9cdadfd9edd6513084cfd0a74a7adf7e.png

Edited by Long John Baldy

22 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

I don't think they did. :rolleyes:

image.png.9cdadfd9edd6513084cfd0a74a7adf7e.png

Agreed. My reading of that is that prior to the match we were 2 better off on goal diff. So if they’d beaten us 1-0, we’d have been level on GD and they’d have stayed up on goals scored. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 minute ago, Long John Baldy said:

Top of the class. :wink:

I know it’s all if my auntie had baws etc....but had that happened, it would have been very fitting that we went down on goals scored, by a country mile our biggest problem last season.

Early days as it is, this season doesn’t seem to be shaping up much better in that department. 

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I know it’s all if my auntie had baws etc....but had that happened, it would have been very fitting that we went down on goals scored, by a country mile our biggest problem last season.

Early days as it is, this season doesn’t seem to be shaping up much better in that department. 

Aye, 24 goals, the worst in the league but our defence was reasonable, conceding only 41, equal best in the bottom 6 with Killie.

There are signs this season is looking similar, and IF Obika got injured we'd be fecked, almost for certain. 

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I folded and decided to watch last nights sport scene. I doubt any other team in the league would be so completely overrun by St Johnstone, it was embarrassing. Even the presenters were happy to gloss over Saints performance , such as it was. Now comes a run against the better teams in the league, not something to look forward to. We should be used to it of course, but it’s still difficult to accept. We absolutely MUST sign a goal scorer as the present  lot are useless , and the manager knows that. Either that or fingers must be pointed at JG himself.

JG must come under pressure  for his tactics and team selection ,if he does not get it correct in the next  3 games he should be shown the door. And if Obika gets injured we will go  down as we have no replacement. 

Well he certainly wasn’t making any excuses or dressing it up in his post match interview. Pretty honest assessment of the match and our performance. Only thing I disagreed with was when he said it was our first really bad performance of the season so far. Not true. The performance against Rangers was terrible too. Although I’d agree that yesterday’s was the worst.