Long John Baldy

St Johnstone v St Mirren Sat 29th Aug

people need to get real, every year in the premiership, we start poorly and then add players who give us a last chance at staying up.  Every year!

so, to me, the signing policy is the problem, too many duds from lower leagues elsewhere who might just have it-but they very rarely do.

I simply don't see the point of signing players to fill a jersey,  i'd prefer one decent signing to 3 poorer signings

Maybe we simply don't have the resources to compete at this level now that the McGinn money is spent

5 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Let's not get carried away about last year.

A one goal victory saved us from relegation.

Not making a wider point just observing that having watched the team a lot last season and streamed every game this season we are playing poorer football. No sharp passing, no quick breaks no guile at all in midfield. And regrettably way more defensive 

Edited by magnus

1 minute ago, magnus said:

Not making a wider point just observing that having watched the team a lot last season and streamed every game this season we are playing poorer football. No sharp passing, no quick breaks no guile at all in midfield. And regrettably way more defensive 

It's a memory thing....................:wink:

9 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well he certainly wasn’t making any excuses or dressing it up in his post match interview. Pretty honest assessment of the match and our performance. Only thing I disagreed with was when he said it was our first really bad performance of the season so far. Not true. The performance against Rangers was terrible too. Although I’d agree that yesterday’s was the worst. 

Saturday was the worse but I wasn't too surprised by the performance As I've not been impressed in any game we've played, I thought we were lucky to take the 3 pts against Livingston and Hamilton, and were hanging on for a point against County,  Tony must be saying why did I open my big mouth again 

Fact is the team selection shape tactics etc was all so wrong yet Jim Jim seemed very reluctant to admit his error of judgement Baird should have been a direct replacement for big Joe and should certainly have come on for the injured Fraser wholesale positional changes cost us leaving the players confused to the extreme.Big big improvements required I am afraid we look to be lacking the necessary quality to have a good season.

Even Thommo looked embarrassed on Sportscene. Thats how poor its been. Attacking has to change. And stop Foley playing CB. It was a dismal performance. Only time we have looked good this season was the 1st half against Accies. Must do better.

35 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Fact is the team selection shape tactics etc was all so wrong yet Jim Jim seemed very reluctant to admit his error of judgement Baird should have been a direct replacement for big Joe and should certainly have come on for the injured Fraser wholesale positional changes cost us leaving the players confused to the extreme.Big big improvements required I am afraid we look to be lacking the necessary quality to have a good season.

Totally agree. Jack is a very capable stand in centre half. The multiple positional changes were unnecessary and backfired big time. Shocker of a performance.

9 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Saturday was the worse but I wasn't too surprised by the performance As I've not been impressed in any game we've played, I thought we were lucky to take the 3 pts against Livingston and Hamilton, and were hanging on for a point against County,  Tony must be saying why did I open my big mouth again 

100% agree. I think we are stronger defensively than last season. Last season I don't think we would have hung on for the points we have picked up. We are not creating enough despite what others say and desperately need a cutting edge. Really need Dennis and Connolly to do the business or its going to be more of the same

11 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

I don’t think Tony will be regretting anything. He constantly gets misquoted. All he ever says is that there’s no reason why St. Mirren can’t be a Top 4/Top 6 team and he is 100% correct every time he says it. The fact that we have yet to do it, or the fact that it looks unlikely we’ll do it this season, does not change that one bit.. 

Top and bottom of it is, if St.Johnstone, Motherwell or Kilmarnock can be a top 4 team, then so can we. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I don’t think Tony will be regretting anything. He constantly gets misquoted. All he ever says is that there’s no reason why St. Mirren can’t be a Top 4/Top 6 team and he is 100% correct every time he says it. The fact that we have yet to do it, or the fact that it looks unlikely we’ll do it this season, does not change that one bit.. 

Top and bottom of it is, if St.Johnstone, Motherwell or Kilmarnock can be a top 4 team, then so can we. 

Totally agree we should be aiming for top 6 and that's every season, and you can add Livingston Ross County and Inverness to your list,  I followed the saints when we finished top 3,  But we should be doing our talking on the pitch where it matters,  not making bold statements every year before a ball is kicked when we have just saved ourselves the last 2 season from relegation on the last day,  

And the part I was referring too mainly in Tony's claim was  " And why not this season"  on the evidence of what I've seen that sadly won't be happening 

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Totally agree we should be aiming for top 6 and that's every season, and you can add Livingston Ross County and Inverness to your list,  I followed the saints when we finished top 3,  But we should be doing our talking on the pitch where it matters,  not making bold statements every year before a ball is kicked when we have just saved ourselves the last 2 season from relegation on the last day,  

And the part I was referring too mainly in Tony's claim was  " And why not this season"  on the evidence of what I've seen that sadly won't be happening 

Yes, trotting out statements of that nature suggest he's not got a clue.

All this"if other teams can do it why can't we" is another.

To achieve top six you'd need a talented manager that can wheel and deal in the lower leagues and signings perform to a decent level.

We, sadly, don't have that.

On 8/30/2020 at 2:13 PM, beyond our ken said:

thoroughly agree, Tait is a great signing and Fraser might have the potential to be the same  but i can't see one other pick of his that is of SPFL standard

You don't think Shaunghnessy is above SPFL standard?

On 9/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, santaponsasaint said:
On 9/1/2020 at 11:47 AM, Sweeper07 said:
You don't think Shaunghnessy is above SPFL standard?

Conor McCarthy has proved to be a good signing.

He has, but was poor in our last game - looked as they he lacked match fitness !

On 9/5/2020 at 1:25 AM, santaponsasaint said:
On 9/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, Sweeper07 said:
He has, but was poor in our last game - looked as they he lacked match fitness !

Don't think he looked any less fit than any other player. They were all shite. But Goody we to blame. When most fans saw the team they knew it was awful

Agree JG must take a chunk of the blame, but the players need to perform at a decent level every week -  being professional footballers in the top league is a privilege. 

What I meant about McCarthy is he was making mistakes that we would not normally see and I thought some of that could have been cause he missed the Hamilton game, however, I had thought that he'd missed the game before the Fakes, but he did not. He missed the RC 2 weeks before. He just has a poor game like most of the team...

I know many fans are happy Baird is away - but who can say with any confidence that Sheron is better at CB than him - seriously 🥶 Just hope he is still getting up to speed with fitness and Scottish football - but I am doubtful.

If nothing else the break gives us a chance to work on whatever system we will employ in the next game - it surely cannot be as bad as against the Fakes I pray . . . 🙏