Jump to content

Top 5 worst St Mirren Managers


Yflab
 Share

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, Yflab said:

Davie “The Cnut” Hay

Tommy Craig

Alan Stubbs

Alex Rae

Ian Murray

Can't disagree with this to any great extent.

Top three are a stick on - three worst in history in my opinion.

Don't like Rae and he was making a right mess of things when he got sacked - he did keep us up the season before though.

Murray was just useless but doesn't generate the same levels of hate 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

John Coughlin, and I hate to say it.....Fitzy 😓

I couldn’t include Coughlin as let’s be honest he was never a manager. He was just a cheap appointment by the BoD who made the same mistake later with Tommy Craig.

With Fitzy we all wanted him to be successful. It’s just a crying shame that the BoD gave him money to spend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I couldn’t include Coughlin as let’s be honest he was never a manager. He was just a cheap appointment by the BoD who made the same mistake later with Tommy Craig.

With Fitzy we all wanted him to be successful. It’s just a crying shame that the BoD gave him money to spend.

Of course, Tony would say he was definitely trying to be in the top three 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd argue against Fitzy being a bad manager - he was bang on average.

In his first spell he took over a team that was sorely in need of rebuilding, remember early on in his tenure we went to Tynecastle badly needing a win to avoid relegation and he achieved it. In that first spell although there were expensive flops he did get good money for the likes of Cameron, Brian Hamilton & Winnie, he left us pretty much where he found us - it was Cunto Hay who relegated us. In the second spell he initially worked without an Assistant and the first season was relatively impressive impressive (4th IIRC) however like the first he couldn't improve us but we were 5th when he was sacked the second time after a 1-5 home defeat to Airdrie IIRC in Dec 98 - that said he would never have given us a season like 99/00.

Bang on average!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Tommy Craig

Alan Stubbs

Davie Hay

John Coughlin

Alex Rae

Can't argue much with that. 

Tommy Craig - did absolutely nothing to improve performances, took no responsibility, plus he was a back stabber. Chronic to watch. All saying that, apparently a good coach. 
Stubbs- broke up a great squad, caused unrest and injected a poison into the dressing room followed by a dozen disaster signings. Never once took blame for performances or signings and never attempted to have a relationship with the fans.
Davie Hay - I was quite young at this point, though my first memory of relegation  
John Coughlin - really nice guy, though not manager material like Craig .Football was dreadful, though left on good terms and made way for Gus to work his magic.
Alex Rae - the Rangers media darling was never going to be a fans favourite. Did his job first season, though signs were showing it was never going to be a long term relationship and form dipped. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good list but top has to be Stubbs, and he is still bitter ? Hiding in the dugout v Livi showed not only was he crap but he was a total woose………...

Tommy Craig- cheap and a proven loser as a manager at our level

David Hay did go on to have success at Livi so it was just a very bad fit...……...

If shull was still alive he would have gone for Jack Ross after the Diddy cup loss :wink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hay- Had an agenda it seemed to me. Had success at every club he was in charge of and he signed players who were his cilents. Took us down with little fight and fecked off first chance he got.

Tommy Craig- Never a manager as his dreadful record showed that. Why our BOD appointed him god only knows

Stubbs- Out of his depth, blamed everyone else bar himself. Again who agreeded the £75000 for Heaton?

Rae- Just seem to lose interest in the summer after doing a decent job beforehand. Left the club a shambles which took a Jan window to fix

There have been a few more but they tried their best but weren't up to it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Hay- Had an agenda it seemed to me. Had success at every club he was in charge of and he signed players who were his cilents. Took us down with little fight and fecked off first chance he got.

Tommy Craig- Never a manager as his dreadful record showed that. Why our BOD appointed him god only knows

Stubbs- Out of his depth, blamed everyone else bar himself. Again who agreeded the £75000 for Heaton?

Rae- Just seem to lose interest in the summer after doing a decent job beforehand. Left the club a shambles which took a Jan window to fix

There have been a few more but they tried their best but weren't up to it

I always reckoned Craig was appointed (for two years) with the intention of mentoring Teale/Goodwin and passing on the reins at the end of this term. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I always reckoned Craig was appointed (for two years) with the intention of mentoring Teale/Goodwin and passing on the reins at the end of this term. 

In that case- Craig was a roaring success , in a kind of totally fked up way:whistle

 

Well apart from his start P 5 W 0 D 0 L 5 Goals For 0

Edited by DougJamie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...