Jack Baird

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere

When McCarthy was injured for the Hamilton game, Jack was on the bench and Foley played centre half. After Saturday's red card Jack remained on the bench with Foley again going to centre half. It seems Jim Goodwin prefers to weaken our midfield rather than play an out and out centre half. Should Jack ( or the club) be looking at moving on to a club that might play him? Should the club be looking at trying to bring in another centre half?

36 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

When McCarthy was injured for the Hamilton game, Jack was on the bench and Foley played centre half. After Saturday's red card Jack remained on the bench with Foley again going to centre half. It seems Jim Goodwin prefers to weaken our midfield rather than play an out and out centre half. Should Jack ( or the club) be looking at moving on to a club that might play him? Should the club be looking at trying to bring in another centre half?

I feel with Baird this has been coming for a long time. He's had a few fleeting good spells but largely in his career he hasn't been close to top flight level. From memory I was very surprised when he got such a long contract last time (although it might have correlated with one of his rare good form runs). I imagine he'll get shipped out on loan again when the lower leagues kick off.

I am largely happy with our squad but CB is a position of concern, the more these scenarios play out where Baird isn't considered an option, the more worried I get and the more I feel the above point on him being shipped out will become a reality. Always been a challenging position to fill as well, lets hope for another Davis or Popescu gem

Edited by bazil85

I feel with Baird this has been coming for a long time. He's had a few fleeting good spells but largely in his career he hasn't been close to top flight level. From memory I was very surprised when he got such a long contract last time (although it might have correlated with one of his rare good form runs). I imagine he'll get shipped out on loan again when the lower leagues kick off.
I am largely happy with our squad but CB is a position of concern, the more these scenarios play out where Baird isn't considered an option, the more worried I get and the more I feel the above point on him being shipped out will become a reality. Always been a challenging position to fill as well, lets hope for another Davis or Popescu gem
I agree. I like the lad and he gives 100% when he plays but maybe best all round if he moves on and Jim brings in his own man

Agree 100% . And he'll do it Saturday as well. It beggers believe. Its not like Bairdy has no experience in the SPL. Whats the point in having him on the bench if he knows full well he's not going to Play him. He had a good season at Morton by all accounts.

JBs on the bench/squad in case of emergencies. He's had plenty of first team opportunities over  the years , over 150 of them , he simply isn't good enough for this level. Once our squad is completely finalised in October , then I think Jack will be loaned out , or possibly given the chance to find a new club ! 

14 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Agree 100% . And he'll do it Saturday as well. It beggers believe. Its not like Bairdy has no experience in the SPL. Whats the point in having him on the bench if he knows full well he's not going to Play him. He had a good season at Morton by all accounts.

Plenty previous managers put other CB's ahead of Bairdy, but before long he became a 1st choice regular with them all and kept having his contract renewed. He was always fit. Surely, they cannot all have been wrong. Okay he was at fault for a couple of bad goals, but so were MacKenzie and other defenders like Waters, McLoughlin etc. He has been very good at doing the mopping up stuff that CB's need to do. He reads the game well, he is fast, he shuts down players trying to get a shot in and he is also good in the air. HE was the one who passed the ball up to Mullen for the goal that kept us up too.

I think JG is making a mistake not giving him a proper chance. I agree that this won't likely happen against the Fakes, but I think that is a mistake. Bairdy is a good pro and fully committed to our club - longest serving player on our books right now and there is a good reason for that.

I know the fans are split on him but he is way better than Soap Dodgers class.

IT won't surprise me if he is playing against us in the Premier League next season...   Come on JG give him a chance !  :spud7

14 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Plenty previous managers put other CB's ahead of Bairdy, but before long he became a 1st choice regular with them all and kept having his contract renewed. He was always fit. Surely, they cannot all have been wrong. Okay he was at fault for a couple of bad goals, but so were MacKenzie and other defenders like Waters, McLoughlin etc. He has been very good at doing the mopping up stuff that CB's need to do. He reads the game well, he is fast, he shuts down players trying to get a shot in and he is also good in the air. HE was the one who passed the ball up to Mullen for the goal that kept us up too.

I think JG is making a mistake not giving him a proper chance. I agree that this won't likely happen against the Fakes, but I think that is a mistake. Bairdy is a good pro and fully committed to our club - longest serving player on our books right now and there is a good reason for that.

I know the fans are split on him but he is way better than Soap Dodgers class.

IT won't surprise me if he is playing against us in the Premier League next season...   Come on JG give him a chance !  :spud7

When you look at his performances in isolation, he generally looks solid, wins headers, tackles etc. However, usually when he is playing, we tend to lose a fair number of goals. That's because positionally he is weak - he tends to be better with an experienced player beside him talking him through the game. At 18 or 19 that's understandable - but he must be mid 20s now? 

FWIW, I am much less nervous with Foley playing back there than if Baird had come on.

It's simple, Foley is a better CB than Baird despite it not being his normal starting position. We have several players able to play in Foley's holding midfield position but CB is a crucial position where you play your best available and imo that happens to be Foley ahead Baird. Jack will be away at some stage this season my personal prediction is Morton or Falkirk.

I like Jack, I really do think he is a decent player who will only get better with experience.

He does have a decent amount of experience already........he could easily be a good player for us with a long career.  I do hope that Jim see's sense and plays the lad on Saturday, with McCarthy beside him I would not be overly concerned.  Actually Jack could easily give Jim a selection problem when Shaughnessy is fit because he could be difficult to drop!

Alas he will likely go elsewhere, to a rival team and carve out a good career, you know evolve into the type of player that we wish we had but can't afford!

Mind the Dunfermline game? what a performance, what a performance indeed.

Once Flynn is back from injury, Baird will be even further down the pecking order as Fraser can play central defence as well.

He’s on the bench for emergencies and you can have loads of subs, so he’s a good option to have.

If there had been a subsequent injury to either of the central defenders after McCarthy had gone off then Baird could have been used.

As others have said, Foley is a better central defender than Baird, it’s a crucial position and we have loads of good midfield options to cover Foley moving back. 

As much as I like Bairdy, he’s too much bombscare for me, a lot like Mcausland, cheesy will always be a club legend for the cup win but I always got the fear with him. 

Always want to see our own players flourish but any other decent player that’s came through our youth has got a decent move or had teams sniffing about them, can’t say the same for those two. That says a lot for me. Good luck to bairdy wherever he ends up, I’m sure he’d get a decent championship gig.

It's simple, Foley is a better CB than Baird despite it not being his normal starting position. We have several players able to play in Foley's holding midfield position but CB is a crucial position where you play your best available and imo that happens to be Foley ahead Baird. Jack will be away at some stage this season my personal prediction is Morton or Falkirk.
Its not case of Foley is better than Baird. We need Foley in midfield more than we need him at CB.

The writing is on the wall for Baird, and has been for a while. I feel a bit sorry for him as he's not a dreadful player. It's simply that JG doesn't rate him. It's likely we'll ship him out if another club becomes interested.

I reckon we'll sign a CH, who can play full back too, before the window closes.

What is going on here if Jack is deemed good enough to be in the squad then for for me he was the obvious replacement for big Joe then when we lose Fraser again he was overlooked both situations resulted in multiple changes of formation not good enough for me I am afraid Jack will always give his all and has now played a fair amount of first matches for quite a young defender.

The writing is on the wall for Baird, and has been for a while. I feel a bit sorry for him as he's not a dreadful player. It's simply that JG doesn't rate him. It's likely we'll ship him out if another club becomes interested.
I reckon we'll sign a CH, who can play full back too, before the window closes.

Indeed.

There's not a chance that putting Baird on yesterday would have made us any worse than we were. We were simply abysmal.

As much as I don't think Baird is a long term option at CH, he has enough about him to cover for a couple of games or at least part of a game.

Unless we sign another CH, Baird should start v Hibs. This will allow Foley to go back into midfield.

6 minutes ago, scottd said:

Mutually consented as of right now.

This is poor ,Jack ,with the right coaching to iron out his little wobble could have been a good centre half.You could never falt his effort. 

So are we now a club that does not give our own youngsters  ,some that are with club 10 or more years ,a chance ?

Back to old men that no one else wants and unproven Irish youngsters. 

Scrap the academy ?

17 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

This is poor ,Jack ,with the right coaching to iron out his little wobble could have been a good centre half.You could never falt his effort. 

So are we now a club that does not give our own youngsters  ,some that are with club 10 or more years ,a chance ?

Scrap the academy ?

Jack has been here over the life of multiple coaches. I get he was a likeable character but more often than not he was well out of his depth in the top flight. He wasn't any better a player at 22/23 than he was at 18/19.

Also, as a 24 year old with over 120 league appearances for the club, claiming he hasn't had "a chance" is staggering. In fact it's just completely wrong.  

Right move for everyone. Hopefully a better option coming to Paisley and he can get some more game time at an appropriate level. 

As for "scrap the academy" there is absolutely nothing about releasing Jack Baird that suggests a change in behaviour towards the academy or developing young players. Something St Mirren have undoubtedly been one of the best teams in Scotland at in recent years. 

Edited by bazil85

36 minutes ago, scottd said:

Mutually consented as of right now.

It's the right decision IMO , and gives us a chance to get someone else in before Hibs ! JG knows Jacko's limitations , but he really should have brought him on for the injured Fraser on Saturday , if only to keep our shape . 

36 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Scrap the academy ?

No doubt you also felt the same when we released Chris Smith who similarly was our first choice for a few seasons but never progressed beyond 21/22?

55 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Scrap the academy ?

Quite possibly the most dramatic response to someone being released since Gareth Wardlaw.