Long John Baldy

St Mirren v Hibs Sat 12th Sept

Guest TPAFKATS
That was painful.
Foley is such a loss from midfield.
Hopefully the return of Shaunessey will shore up defence and midfield.

Sheron and Durmus did not one positive thing between them in an hour! Both cost us possession every time and allowed Hibs to break.at speed.

Young Ethan was a revelation... Best player by a mile... Hardly wasted a pass.

Tait and the subs were the other plusses.

Erwin looked really good and the ball stuck to him.

MacPherson gave us urgency.

I'd be inclined to play a midfield five... Two wingers and a central three of Foley with MacPherson and Ereahon either side of him.
I'd be stunned if we don't play 5 across middle against sellik

Guest TPAFKATS
Aye, apart from wandering miles from his goal and nearly letting Boyle score, letting the ball right through him for the first and misjudging the cross for the third goal, he looked solid.
Don't think he was great for the second either, no worse than the lack of defending in the box though

Guest TPAFKATS
None of note. McPherson had a good shot saved, and there keeper had a good double save from a free kick in the first half. We probably should have a penalty for handball also.

Exactly. Our strikers aren't missing chances as we aren't creating any for them.

Jim looks like he’s taking a leaf out of Steve Clark’s coaching manual. We are set up to be negative and between Scotland and saints I’m extremely bored of it. We don’t excite at all and whilst I understand our limitations we should be better than this. 

1 minute ago, norrie82 said:

Jim looks like he’s taking a leaf out of Steve Clark’s coaching manual. We are set up to be negative and between Scotland and saints I’m extremely bored of it. We don’t excite at all and whilst I understand our limitations we should be better than this. 

Didn't Clarke take Killie to the top 4? 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
4 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:
That was painful.
Foley is such a loss from midfield.
Hopefully the return of Shaunessey will shore up defence and midfield.

Sheron and Durmus did not one positive thing between them in an hour! Both cost us possession every time and allowed Hibs to break.at speed.

Young Ethan was a revelation... Best player by a mile... Hardly wasted a pass.

Tait and the subs were the other plusses.

Erwin looked really good and the ball stuck to him.

MacPherson gave us urgency.

I'd be inclined to play a midfield five... Two wingers and a central three of Foley with MacPherson and Ereahon either side of him.

I'd be stunned if we don't play 5 across middle against sellik

5-5-0

Guest TPAFKATS
Even if we did I'm not convinced they can take them ?
Obika is a decent finisher. Hard to judge the new guys as I've yet to see them missing loads

Guest TPAFKATS
1 lesson to be learned for all clubs, is the keepers need to be kept apart more at training and that include Langfield. 
Difficult to see how though. They train in same area with same equipment and coach. Suspect they would still make them all miss games anyway.
Urminsky tested negative and still has to quarantine.
Utter farce

If we've got the option of 5 subs we could have a forward closing down at full pelt in each half without affecting our potential to need to make subs at other times, most of the time the front players are ambling about, it is a different game with the additional subs available.

9 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
10 hours ago, lenziebud said:
Even if we did I'm not convinced they can take them ?

Obika is a decent finisher. Hard to judge the new guys as I've yet to see them missing loads

I know it will get me pelters but I think Obika is very very average and not the finisher a lot of people think he is. I thought Erwin showed a lot of what we have been missing up front yesterday and gave Hanlon and Porteous a lot more grief than anything Obika could ever show. They had Obika in their pocket all game.

I actually though Dennis looked ok when he was on. Looked like he could get in the right positions and capable.

Obika needs a rocket up him and I think Erwin and Dennis are the guys to hopefully do it. Hoping Dennis injury isn't as bad as first feared.

19 minutes ago, magnus said:

4-5-1. Big Shaugnessy back at CB. Midfield of McGrath, Foley, Ethan, Cammy and a winger playing wide with Erwin starting up front.

Yep, reasonable side that would have given Hibs a far better run than what JG sent out yesterday. At some point JG is going to hopefully work out who his best players are and finally get his tactics correct.

6 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Difficult to see how though. They train in same area with same equipment and coach. Suspect they would still make them all miss games anyway.
Urminsky tested negative and still has to quarantine.
Utter farce

It's nice to see you finally realise how farcical this all is.

I knew it would take you personally being affected to begin to see it.

It IS an utter farce.

I like the 4 midfielders you mention but unfortunately the fact they all prefer centre midfield means at best we will probably only see 3 maximum or most likely 2 most games otherwise imo no point playing them.

As we saw from Ethan yesterday out of his best position he looked very poor last 2 seasons but yesterday was our best player by a mile.

Some players like Flynn can adapt to other positions easily unfortunately for us not many others can do the same.

4-5-1. Big Shaugnessy back at CB. Midfield of McGrath, Foley, Ethan, Cammy and a winger playing wide with Erwin starting up front.

3 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

If we've got the option of 5 subs we could have a forward closing down at full pelt in each half without affecting our potential to need to make subs at other times, most of the time the front players are ambling about, it is a different game with the additional subs available.

Definately got to use the 5 subs better particularly as McAllister, Dhurmus, Connolly and Erwin dont look to have 90 minutes in them. Rather than have one forward chase down 3 defenders I would prefer we tried to have a strong midfield and a decent out ball. I liked thr fact that Connolly changed wings against Hibs. I would look to play our game and change our winger and centre forwards to create some sort of attacking threat.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I like the 4 midfielders you mention but unfortunately the fact they all prefer centre midfield means at best we will probably only see 3 maximum or most likely 2 most games otherwise imo no point playing them.

As we saw from Ethan yesterday out of his best position he looked very poor last 2 seasons but yesterday was our best player by a mile.

Some players like Flynn can adapt to other positions easily unfortunately for us not many others can do the same.

Totally agree but its maybe less of an ask than what we have had so far with Foley at CB etc  I like the higher energy and higher skills these guys have. I would play Ethan in his favoured position.

Edited by magnus