So you don’t want flower of Scotland?

ALBIONSAINT

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Who converted to being an abolitionist prior to writing the hymn, seems ideal to me.

So did a lot of folk whose statues are being pulled down.  Apparently he apologised for being involved in it but kept all the money he made from it - so not THAT sorry, then.

Personally, I don't think that a national anthem should be in any way associated with something like slavery, be associated with any religion, not be disparaging to other nations and promote the history and ideals of the nation.  It should also, IMO, be written by someone of the respective nationality (or be a traditional song from the country of undetermined authorship).  My preference would be to have a new one written.

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

So did a lot of folk whose statues are being pulled down.  Apparently he apologised for being involved in it but kept all the money he made from it - so not THAT sorry, then.

Personally, I don't think that a national anthem should be in any way associated with something like slavery, be associated with any religion, not be disparaging to other nations and promote the history and ideals of the nation.  It should also, IMO, be written by someone of the respective nationality (or be a traditional song from the country of undetermined authorship).  My preference would be to have a new one written.

Then I guess it might be an appropriate choice for a country that tries it's best not to acknowledge it's connection to the slave trade.

It's a song about redemption and was a favourite during the civil rights movement in the US back in the 60s, they didn't seem to think Newton's chequered past invalidated the message of the song but we live in less forgiving times.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek suggestion however so I'll leave it there.

Even with JJ performing it, Amazing Grate is a bit of a dirge.
feel free to NOT leave it here.  [emoji4]

sorry.  Just realised that, as an expat, I probably am not allowed an opinion in this vital element of scottishtry.  :rolleyes:

You're allowed an opinion on it, maybe just not a vote. [emoji38]

Then I guess it might be an appropriate choice for a country that tries it's best not to acknowledge it's connection to the slave trade.
It's a song about redemption and was a favourite during the civil rights movement in the US back in the 60s, they didn't seem to think Newton's chequered past invalidated the message of the song but we live in less forgiving times.
It was a bit of a tongue in cheek suggestion however so I'll leave it there.

I think we live in a time where information about people is more readily available. If that makes us less forgiving then so be it.

The same tune is used to sing Psalm 23, The Lord's My Shepherd, so, for that reason alone, I'd say no.

20 hours ago, Slarti said:

I think we live in a time where information about people is more readily available. If that makes us less forgiving then so be it.

The same tune is used to sing Psalm 23, The Lord's My Shepherd, so, for that reason alone, I'd say no.

People knew, I knew without you having to tell me - did you have to look it up?

The clue is in the lyrics.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:22 PM, Slarti said:

So an athem about slaying English people is ok?

8 hours ago, Slarti said:
11 hours ago, God of war said:
So an athem about slaying English people is ok?

Understanding the written word doesn't seem to be your strong point.

And being civil and answering the question in hand doesn't seem to be yours.

13 hours ago, Slarti said:
16 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:
On 9/29/2020 at 6:33 PM, Slarti said:

People knew, I knew without you having to tell me - did you have to look it up?

The clue is in the lyrics.

Look what up?

What we're talking about, Newton's conversion from being a slave trader to being an abolitionist. I knew without having to look it up, I presume you knew too and nobody else seems to care.

I'm sure many in the civil rights movement knew about Newton's chequered history too, but they were clearly happy to take his tale of redemption at face value.

What we're talking about, Newton's conversion from being a slave trader to being an abolitionist. I knew without having to look it up, I presume you knew too and nobody else seems to care.
I'm sure many in the civil rights movement knew about Newton's chequered history too, but they were clearly happy to take his tale of redemption at face value.

Yep, I knew.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of those in the civil rights movement never knew, just saw a well known hymn written by a preacher (and with relevant lyrics) and said "that'll do". I also take his tale of redemption at face value but that doesn't change the fact that he personally profited from the slave trade.

I think this just shows that two people, presented with the same facts, can come to two entirely different opinions on a matter.

13 hours ago, Slarti said:

Yep, I knew.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of those in the civil rights movement never knew, just saw a well known hymn written by a preacher (and with relevant lyrics) and said "that'll do". I also take his tale of redemption at face value but that doesn't change the fact that he personally profited from the slave trade.

I think this just shows that two people, presented with the same facts, can come to two entirely different opinions on a matter.

4A19576F-AC99-42E6-BD7C-E6376090B58E.jpeg

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

“ In a big country dreams stay with you
Like a lover's voice fires the mountainside
Stay alive.”

The guitars in this sound like bagpipes and always makes me feel Scottish 

Certainly STILL gives me a Homesick thrill.

Amazing grace 
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost 
But now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
'Twas grace that taught 
My heart to fear
And grace my Fears relieved
How precious did
That grace appear
The hour I first believed