Dundee Utd v St Mirren

ALBIONSAINT

We are nowhere near Tommy Craig territory, this team may not be brilliant but they are light years ahead of that side. Get cover at the back, and once the injured players return we'll be good enough to finish probably 8th or 9th.
True, but at times in the 2nd half we looked like a team of individuals at the back; there is no Captain.

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
5 hours ago, paul torfason said:
Seriously bud,they could have scored 4 goals in first 10 minutes of 2nd half before tait was sent off,we are worst team in league by far at this present time and covid 19 or not we have to make changes,if this goes on another 4/5 matches then we must look at changing the manager as it is not working,even games we won we have been pathetic in rest of games like accies we was horrendous 2nd half and fakes horrendous for 90 mins,rotten for 45 against livvy and rotten for 60 against count and absolutely shit against gers,and take in managers tactics and formations then we must be looking at changes 

Yes I was just thinking that we could do with yet more managerial changes, just what a club needs in these most uncertain of times. Get a grip FFS.

Sorry

but if you’re manager is out of his depth then you do everyone a favour and move him on

fairest shout for all concerned 

13 hours ago, norrie82 said:

This team play no football at all. Long ball after long ball. Hit it and hope. No midfield and I mean no midfield - don’t build an attack anymore either and are a really terrible watch. I’m sure Tommy Craig’s team would have survived had Maclean not been sold for a pittance and he had been able to drive us on with Mallan and McGinn too. Not a bad couple of players in that team. This team would do well to beat Tommy’s side. 

Craig left before McLean did, so don’t think that’s a valid argument. We were f**king dreadful that season and lucky not to relegated sooner than we did.

We have some good players. However team selection and formation is undoing us. If Jim plays the right players in the right positions in the right formation then we are more than capable to be a top six. McGrath for example clearly demonstrates he is better through the middle but often is played out wide where he is wasted. McPherson has drive and commitment and is not afraid to shoot from outside the box but for some weird reason cannot even get into the team. McAllister who is powder puff and cannot last 90 mins is an automatic pick.

We need to stop playing wide players who cannot contribute and leave the midfield overrun, and start playing a passing game through the middle to support a striker. 4-2-3-1 for me with McGrath playing behind Erwin with Connolly and McPherson either side and Foley and Erhahon behind them. Please Jim, just try it :)

13 hours ago, Hendo said:

Now that is just nonsense. We had McGinn, Mallan and McLean for half a season - all youngsters at the time, with the experienced players in that team like Goody and Thommo past their best. And who else did we have? Ridgers, Plummer, Drury, Marwood, Wylde, Ball, Ross Caldwell, Arquin - I think five of them were playing for their local pub team not long after they left us.

I heard a few pub team managers were in the main stand yesterday 

Sonny you are spot on

We have some good players. However team selection and formation is undoing us. If Jim plays the right players in the right positions in the right formation then we are more than capable to be a top six. McGrath for example clearly demonstrates he is better through the middle but often is played out wide where he is wasted. McPherson has drive and commitment and is not afraid to shoot from outside the box but for some weird reason cannot even get into the team. McAllister who is powder puff and cannot last 90 mins is an automatic pick.
We need to stop playing wide players who cannot contribute and leave the midfield overrun, and start playing a passing game through the middle to support a striker. 4-2-3-1 for me with McGrath playing behind Erwin with Connolly and McPherson either side and Foley and Erhahon behind them. Please Jim, just try it [emoji4]

A said 2 seasons ago and again last season we need striker coach because our strikers finishing crap:get tommo in 2 days a week or ask Frank mac or Grady or something because a guys like sharp who was piss poor player isn't the guy I'd want coaching me:we are a mess again unfortunately 

Jason Scotland offered his services twice for that. I contacted the club (Top 6 Tony) on his behalf, passed on his contact details etc, no one from the club ever got back to him.

44 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We need to stop playing wide players who cannot contribute and leave the midfield overrun, and start playing a passing game through the middle to support a striker. 4-2-3-1 for me with McGrath playing behind Erwin with Connolly and McPherson either side and Foley and Erhahon behind them. Please Jim, just try it :)

Even with all of that and I agree with you on the rest we are not top 6. We don't have the quality up front to be and that is with the new signings.

100% though on Goodwin's team selection. I really just don't understand it. Next week he'll have Morais thro the middle with Durmus and McAllister on the flanks its that nuts. 

McAllister, Morais, Durmus with the players we have in the squad should not be starting any match.

As a side issue, Tait what a headcase. Good player but looks like a complete banger 

Edited by lenziebud

14 hours ago, norrie82 said:

This team play no football at all. Long ball after long ball. Hit it and hope. No midfield and I mean no midfield - don’t build an attack anymore either and are a really terrible watch. I’m sure Tommy Craig’s team would have survived had Maclean not been sold for a pittance and he had been able to drive us on with Mallan and McGinn too. Not a bad couple of players in that team. This team would do well to beat Tommy’s side. 

Gary Teale got the best of McLean playing him further forward

Tommy Craig was a terrible manager

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Can't disagree

There seems to be no trust or faith in the players and we are far too cautious in our approach.

Hence always on the backfoot

34 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

It was the same approach last season, yet this was accepted by many....................remember the frenzy over us only losing by a narrow margin which was seen as ok as it didn't do too much damage to our goal difference? 

We played better last season. We pressed better, passed better and seemed to have more pace. 

Just now, Long John Baldy said:

Not do sure and our league position would suggest whatever we done it was one goal away from relegation. 

My recollection of our play is that we had more about us. More purpose. We don't seem to even set up to win now. Its all counter play and chasing down. One week high press next week low press and apart from set pieces no football from us 

Looks like we are on schedule to be bottom of the league after our next two games, which is what I could see coming a few weeks ago. I just don’t see any team we could beat at present, and once we go behind, the game is more or less lost from then on. Of course when you have forwards that can’t score ,this is the inevitability. I’m listening to Motherwell being three goals up away at Aberdeen, can you ever imagine us doing that ? Thank heavens we don’t have to watch this rubbish in the flesh. 

Nail on the head.

What was a lucky/promising start results wise if not performance wise has been drained by the negative approach to every game its no coincidence Gus was here during most of Jim's reign as these tactics are reminiscent of the tactics Gus employed.

My best friend Munoz likes to highlight we beat Hamilton away at start of season but the inability to pick up wins away from home will kill us yes we are hard to beat at home most of the time and that saved us last 2 years but FFS we are so shit* away it's embarrassing.

Looks like we are on schedule to be bottom of the league after our next two games, which is what I could see coming a few weeks ago. I just don’t see any team we could beat at present, and once we go behind, the game is more or less lost from then on. Of course when you have forwards that can’t score ,this is the inevitability. I’m listening to Motherwell being three goals up away at Aberdeen, can you ever imagine us doing that ? Thank heavens we don’t have to watch this rubbish in the flesh. 

On 9/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, Hendo said:

Thought it was a game we deserved a point in, but complacency at crucial parts of the game cost us. First goal was a great strike, second was very poor defending though. Connolly looked good when he came on.

It's so tight between all the sides outside the top 4, anyone can win on their day. Disappointing to come out on the wrong side of that today, need to take something from next week. Wish fans were back for that one, if only to boo Kirky.

If we didn't need defensive cover before today, we certainly do now.

Didn't McCarthy header it straight to Shankland? To be fair he has been poor this season so far in several games. - Had it been Bairdy, the fans would be giving him pelters...

Are any other Premiership Squads as week in defensive cover as we are? I doubt it. 

54 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Goodys post match interview when he talks about the lack of defenders is horrendous. Gave away Paul McGinn. We have 4 defenders at the club. Let Bairdy go. Now he said. WERE NOT BLESSED WITH A LOT OF DEFENDERS, f**king Stevie Wonder could see that. emoji35.png

Huge mistake - Don't know what JG issue with him was and cannot believe it was all about pre season and cup games last year. Bairdy is no world beater but the way McCarthy has been playing this season, Bairdy could have been a better option. Anyway he's gone now and we are short in too many ways at this moment.

We have had a lot of changes and I am hopeful things will improve, but there are so many areas that need to be improved upon - here are just a few :-

1. Shutting down and marking opposition players - McGrath for their 2nd goal a typical example of weak cover from the midfield. (Sheron in other games is probably the most glaring example)

2. Midfield needs to work better as a unit and improve both defensively and creatively as well as being more of an attacking threat. The coaching here is crucial - these guys need to work much better for the team to be successful, and yes Flynn will bring something and hopefully Magennis will, but he was not that great last season. 

3. No where near enough players playing anywhere near their best with any sort of consistency. Guys like Durmus contributed positively last season and have not seemed to be up to speed yet - why?

4. This wonderful defense laden with captains who have all (Tait next time) missed matches already and our cover is woefully inadequate.

Nevertheless we are probably better than Hamilton and possibly Utd who are still on the winning mentality of last season. Not sure about Livi and RC are not better really though they manage to get results and points that were unexpected, but will they fall away like they did last season post Christmas.  These are the teams we are competing against to avoid relegation !  :spud7

Edited by Sweeper07
mistype

Huge mistake - Don't know what JG issue with him was and cannot believe it was all about pre season and cup games last year. Bairdy is no world beater but the way McCarthy has been playing this season, Bairdy could have been a better option. Anyway he's gone now and we are short in too many ways at this moment.
We have had a lot of changes and I am hopeful things will improve, but there are so many areas that need to be improved upon - here are just a few :-
1. Shutting down and marking opposition players - McGrath for their 2nd goal a typical example of weak cover from the midfield. (Sheron in other games is probably the most glaring example)
2. Midfield needs to work better as a unit and improve both defensively and creatively as well as being more of an attacking threat. The coaching here is crucial - these guys need to work much better for the team to be successful, and yes Flynn will bring something and hopefully Magennis will, but he was not that great last season. 
3. No where near enough players playing anywhere near their best with any sort of consistency. Guys like Durmus contributed positively last season and have not seemed to be up to speed yet - why?
4. This wonderful defense laden with captains who have all (Tait next time) missed matches already and our cover is woefully inadequate.
Nevertheless we are probably better than Hamilton and possibly Utd who are still on the winning mentality of last season. Not sure about Livi and RC are not better really though they manage to get results and points that were unexpected, but will they fall away like they did last season post Christmas.  These are the teams we are competing against to avoid relegation !  :spud7

Question. Can anybody see Erwin or Obkia score 15 between this season? I hope I'm wrong. But I dont think so. Only bright spot has been Erahahon. He's done well is his natural position. We badly need 2 defenders in this week.

A lot of fair points made last two pages. Defence has become very leaky especially at set pieces. We should not have let Baird go. We are not blessed with excellent strike force but it would make a difference if they got some decent service. Erhahon has been a delight last few games. Cammy needs more game time. 4-2-3-1 seems a good shout. McAllister as always is a disappointment and doesn’t even do it as a late impact substitute. If we could settle in a set up l think we can easily avoid Bolton three and battle for seventh but like yesterday we need to convert chances when on top otherwise we face more misery 

59 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Question. Can anybody see Erwin or Obkia score 15 between this season? I hope I'm wrong. But I dont think so. Only bright spot has been Erahahon. He's done well is his natural position. We badly need 2 defenders in this week.

Well Obika stuck 12 last season and surely he should hit at least 10, if not surpass last season's total (since matches were culled) and Erwin will be good for about 8 I think. But both of these depend on us playing a lot better once we gel better and Flynn is back. Perhaps COnnolly will be good for 4 or 5 too?

Erhahon and Cammy are the future - 1st team for a few years and then sell on !