Jump to content

St Mirren v Kilmarnock, 26th Sept


Long John Baldy
 Share

Recommended Posts


Its hard to believe we can beat Killie if they play anywhere near their best.

Funny thing is we are notorious for losing points to those at the wrong end of the table and having good results against the better teams sometimes. 

So we need :-

1. A good start    2. A good formation    3. Good tactics    4. To get steamed right in and leave the opposition with little time on the ball

5. To score 1 or more goals    6.  Have more of our players playing nearer the best of their ability    7. Killie to get 2 men sent off and we retain 11.

Then we will leapfrog them in the table and we'll all be a bit less despondent - really hope we don't make it 5 defeats on the spin... 🙏

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Its hard to believe we can beat Killie if they play anywhere near their best.

Funny thing is we are notorious for losing points to those at the wrong end of the table and having good results against the better teams sometimes. 

So we need :-

1. A good start    2. A good formation    3. Good tactics    4. To get steamed right in and leave the opposition with little time on the ball

5. To score 1 or more goals    6.  Have more of our players playing nearer the best of their ability    7. Killie to get 2 men sent off and we retain 11.

Then we will leapfrog them in the table and we'll all be a bit less despondent - really hope we don't make it 5 defeats on the spin... 🙏

 

I thought the schools were back? 😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So with the group of players we have available, it's three at the back, Connelly and Durmus as wingbacks in a midfield five, with McPherson and Foley in the middle. I would go two up front with Obika and Erwin. Can't make my mind up between Erahon playing as a defensive midfielder or McGrath playing slightly more forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

So with the group of players we have available, it's three at the back, Connelly and Durmus as wingbacks in a midfield five, with McPherson and Foley in the middle. I would go two up front with Obika and Erwin. Can't make my mind up between Erahon playing as a defensive midfielder or McGrath playing slightly more forward. 

Erahon is never a defensive  midfielder  ,he is the one to put passes on the forwards, use this boy correctly  !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Flynn and Magennis meant to be back for LC games. Junior Brown signing seems to have been kyboshed due to finances I'd imagine after the emergency loan we needed and news no fans likely anytime soon.

I'd be tempted to play Durmus at LB. At least he's got pace and a left foot. Either way it needs to be a back 4 for me. Ethan or Cammy. One of those square pegs will need mashed into a round hole.

Foley, McGrath, Connolly and one aforementioned square peg for a square hole this time.

Obika and Erwin up top.

Sheron in the sea.

Minimises disruption and plays to what strengths we have!

COYS!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get a back 3 binned, just don't have the personnel for it. Their full backs are Waters and Millen, neither very good so get wingers to actually play as wingers and run that pair with delivery to a front 2.

Don’t disagree.

Connolly must start, and I’d prefer Durmus to McAllister.

However, someone has to be watching Burke at all times
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

IF we lose tomorrow that will be 5 losses on the trot.

Even for us that's pretty shite.

What's our worst ever run of losses? 

91/92 was bad - it contained a run of 17 league games without a victory although the longest sequence of defeats was 4 (twice) and we did beat Stranraer in the Scottish Cup in January.

IIRC Tony-F resigned at some point during this run. 

 

Premier Division 
25/08/1990 Hearts Tynecastle 1-1 Kinnaird
01/09/1990 St.Johnstone Love Street 2-2 Lambert  McWalter
08/09/1990 Dundee United Tannadice 0-1  
15/09/1990 Motherwell Love Street 1-0 Stickroth
22/09/1990 Aberdeen Pittodrie 1-2 Kinnaird
29/09/1990 Celtic Love Street 2-3 McWalter  Kinnaird
06/10/1990 Hibernian Easter Road 0-1  
13/10/1990 Rangers Ibrox 0-5  
20/10/1990 Dunfermline Athletic Love Street 0-1  
27/10/1990 Hearts Love Street 2-1 Godfrey  Torfason
03/11/1990 St.Johnstone McDiarmid Park 1-0 Torfason
10/11/1990 Aberdeen Love Street 0-4  
17/11/1990 Celtic Parkhead 1-4 McDowall
24/11/1990 Motherwell Fir Park 1-1 Torfason
01/12/1990 Dundee United Love Street 1-1 McDowall
11/12/1990 Dunfermline Athletic East End Park 0-0  
15/12/1990 Rangers Love Street 0-3  
22/12/1990 Hibernian Love Street 1-0 Black
26/12/1990 Aberdeen Pittodrie 0-1  
02/01/1991 Motherwell Love Street 2-2 McDowall  Archibald
05/01/1991 Dundee United Tannadice 2-3 Archibald  McDowall
12/01/1991 Hearts Tynecastle 0-2  
19/01/1991 St.Johnstone Love Street 0-1  
09/02/1991 Rangers Ibrox 0-1  
19/02/1991 Dunfermline Athletic Love Street 2-2 Victor  Black
02/03/1991 Hibernian Easter Road 3-4 Kinnaird  Martin  Archibald
09/03/1991 Dundee United Love Street 0-1  
12/03/1991 Celtic Love Street 0-2  
23/03/1991 Motherwell Fir Park 1-3 Shaw
30/03/1991 Hearts Love Street 0-0  
09/04/1991 St.Johnstone McDiarmid Park 1-2 McWalter
13/04/1991 Dunfermline Athletic East End Park 2-2 Martin  McIntyre
20/04/1991 Rangers Love Street 0-1  
27/04/1991 Aberdeen Love Street 0-1  
05/05/1991 Celtic Parkhead 0-1  
11/05/1991 Hibernian Love Street 1-0 McEwan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

91/92 was bad - it contained a run of 17 league games without a victory although the longest sequence of defeats was 4 (twice) and we did beat Stranraer in the Scottish Cup in January.

IIRC Tony-F resigned at some point during this run. 

 

Premier Division 
25/08/1990 Hearts Tynecastle 1-1 Kinnaird
01/09/1990 St.Johnstone Love Street 2-2 Lambert  McWalter
08/09/1990 Dundee United Tannadice 0-1  
15/09/1990 Motherwell Love Street 1-0 Stickroth
22/09/1990 Aberdeen Pittodrie 1-2 Kinnaird
29/09/1990 Celtic Love Street 2-3 McWalter  Kinnaird
06/10/1990 Hibernian Easter Road 0-1  
13/10/1990 Rangers Ibrox 0-5  
20/10/1990 Dunfermline Athletic Love Street 0-1  
27/10/1990 Hearts Love Street 2-1 Godfrey  Torfason
03/11/1990 St.Johnstone McDiarmid Park 1-0 Torfason
10/11/1990 Aberdeen Love Street 0-4  
17/11/1990 Celtic Parkhead 1-4 McDowall
24/11/1990 Motherwell Fir Park 1-1 Torfason
01/12/1990 Dundee United Love Street 1-1 McDowall
11/12/1990 Dunfermline Athletic East End Park 0-0  
15/12/1990 Rangers Love Street 0-3  
22/12/1990 Hibernian Love Street 1-0 Black
26/12/1990 Aberdeen Pittodrie 0-1  
02/01/1991 Motherwell Love Street 2-2 McDowall  Archibald
05/01/1991 Dundee United Tannadice 2-3 Archibald  McDowall
12/01/1991 Hearts Tynecastle 0-2  
19/01/1991 St.Johnstone Love Street 0-1  
09/02/1991 Rangers Ibrox 0-1  
19/02/1991 Dunfermline Athletic Love Street 2-2 Victor  Black
02/03/1991 Hibernian Easter Road 3-4 Kinnaird  Martin  Archibald
09/03/1991 Dundee United Love Street 0-1  
12/03/1991 Celtic Love Street 0-2  
23/03/1991 Motherwell Fir Park 1-3 Shaw
30/03/1991 Hearts Love Street 0-0  
09/04/1991 St.Johnstone McDiarmid Park 1-2 McWalter
13/04/1991 Dunfermline Athletic East End Park 2-2 Martin  McIntyre
20/04/1991 Rangers Love Street 0-1  
27/04/1991 Aberdeen Love Street 0-1  
05/05/1991 Celtic Parkhead 0-1  
11/05/1991 Hibernian Love Street 1-0 McEwan

Look at the goalscorers, surprised we couldn't win more games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

91/92 was bad - it contained a run of 17 league games without a victory although the longest sequence of defeats was 4 (twice) and we did beat Stranraer in the Scottish Cup in January.
IIRC Tony-F resigned at some point during this run. 
 
Premier Division 
25/08/1990 Hearts Tynecastle 1-1 Kinnaird
01/09/1990 St.Johnstone Love Street 2-2 Lambert  McWalter
08/09/1990 Dundee United Tannadice 0-1  
15/09/1990 Motherwell Love Street 1-0 Stickroth
22/09/1990 Aberdeen Pittodrie 1-2 Kinnaird
29/09/1990 Celtic Love Street 2-3 McWalter  Kinnaird
06/10/1990 Hibernian Easter Road 0-1  
13/10/1990 Rangers Ibrox 0-5  
20/10/1990 Dunfermline Athletic Love Street 0-1  
27/10/1990 Hearts Love Street 2-1 Godfrey  Torfason
03/11/1990 St.Johnstone McDiarmid Park 1-0 Torfason
10/11/1990 Aberdeen Love Street 0-4  
17/11/1990 Celtic Parkhead 1-4 McDowall
24/11/1990 Motherwell Fir Park 1-1 Torfason
01/12/1990 Dundee United Love Street 1-1 McDowall
11/12/1990 Dunfermline Athletic East End Park 0-0  
15/12/1990 Rangers Love Street 0-3  
22/12/1990 Hibernian Love Street 1-0 Black
26/12/1990 Aberdeen Pittodrie 0-1  
02/01/1991 Motherwell Love Street 2-2 McDowall  Archibald
05/01/1991 Dundee United Tannadice 2-3 Archibald  McDowall
12/01/1991 Hearts Tynecastle 0-2  
19/01/1991 St.Johnstone Love Street 0-1  
09/02/1991 Rangers Ibrox 0-1  
19/02/1991 Dunfermline Athletic Love Street 2-2 Victor  Black
02/03/1991 Hibernian Easter Road 3-4 Kinnaird  Martin  Archibald
09/03/1991 Dundee United Love Street 0-1  
12/03/1991 Celtic Love Street 0-2  
23/03/1991 Motherwell Fir Park 1-3 Shaw
30/03/1991 Hearts Love Street 0-0  
09/04/1991 St.Johnstone McDiarmid Park 1-2 McWalter
13/04/1991 Dunfermline Athletic East End Park 2-2 Martin  McIntyre
20/04/1991 Rangers Love Street 0-1  
27/04/1991 Aberdeen Love Street 0-1  
05/05/1991 Celtic Parkhead 0-1  
11/05/1991 Hibernian Love Street 1-0 McEwan
As recently as 2012 we lost 6 league games on the trot after the 5v4 win v Ross County, I'm sure we have gone 7 before in that decade too.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...