Long John Baldy

Aberdeen v St Mirren Friday 2nd Oct

5 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

He was our captain, Jim clearly saw him central to the team and was looking forward to having one of our better players back. I think judging from Jim's reaction to the subject in interviews it's clear he was assured Kyle was staying. We badly need a consistent striker, Obika blows hot and cold and Morais isn't a striker, so he's getting used out of position. It's unfair to pick on Dennis and Erwin at this stage, one is injured and the other is still trying to settle in,

Have you asked our captain his opinion?

I think he would jump at the chance to join Hibs.

It's a funny one on Obika, he was poor last season but he hit more than decent firm and, IMO, was the main reason we stayed up. 

It's a wee bit unfair to put blame at his door as the team, almost to a man, have been poor.

Shankland suffered the same negative views when he was poor in a very poor team. 

26 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I actually feel more confident after that display. Up until last night I hated the way the team were set up sitting too deep; never getting support to the front players and no enegy in midfield. Last night we improved on all of that.

The midfield were excellent and peronally I would be more angry if it was Cammy that was moving to Hibs. Hopefully Jim learned a lot from last night. Strikers are still a real problem though. Dennis may be the answer or else we sign someone else before the window closes.

Totally agree, our pressing and the support we we're giving our forwards was a breath of fresh air compared to the shite we've been producing so far this season.. Real shame we never took at least a point last night, but I'm feeling a lot more optimistic after this performance..

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Have you asked our captain his opinion?

I think he would jump at the chance to join Hibs.

It's a funny one on Obika, he was poor last season but he hit more than decent firm and, IMO, was the main reason we stayed up. 

It's a wee bit unfair to put blame at his door as the team, almost to a man, have been poor.

Shankland suffered the same negative views when he was poor in a very poor team. 

I like Obika but he does blow hot and cold and right now we're looking for a bit extra from him, Erhahon style extra, something inspirational. I've read elsewhere that Kyle wanted a 4 year contract and our board said no.. i seriously doubt that's true. 

3 hours ago, shull said:

Watched my first game of the Season.

All is not lost. 

Some decent  moments in the 90 minutes, although their winner was a sickener.

A good whacking of Thistle and we will be heading in the right direction.

Have faith in Goodwin.

Did you bang your head. At long last a sensible post from you ?

Obika isn't good enough we've gave him enough chances, he has the weakest shot i've ever seen,

Our priority must surely be a striker who can score goals 

I would go and beg Celtic to lend us the lad Micky Johnston a real goalscorer. he has been out injured since last year and hopefully he's ready to start playing again ?  he'll be way down the pecking list there probably 5th choice at the moment, 

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Bottom six are pretty much shite, we just need to make sure we're not as shite as one of the other 5.

Pretty grim league table right now..............................

image.png.edbd2fa28fb706012974874e4ff2d597.png

Play like we did last night in every game, then I'm pretty sure we'll start picking up points. 

Just now, munoz said:

Play like we did last night in every game, then I'm pretty sure we'll start picking up points. 

The problem is play like we did against Killie and we'll struggle to pick up any points.

It's hard to see us winning as any time we show a wee bit of form it goes to feck the next game.

You know as well as I do you can't bet on us to win a game right now. 

These league cup game are, IMO, massive for us. 

Partick and QOS, must win games, get us in a position to win the group and give everybody some confidence, team and support alike. 

If we can reproduce aspects of last night going forward the future is much brighter. Service to strikers needs to improve and the strikers need to get their act together. We will not produce lots of opportunities so we need to make them count. We have not been successful overall by constantly changing manager, give him time , especially in such uncertain times. While we are better off than many other clubs l still am concerned that the teams most likely to fold during this pandemic are around our size

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

One of the VERY few positives to emerge from the last few games (especially last night) is the form of Ethan in his preferred role. I think he’s really looked the part. 

Just needs to tighten up on the long passes. Last night he gave the ball away three times in the middle of the park.

For me the best performance of the season and a lot to be more positive about. 

Effort and workrate was excellant and we more than matched Aberdeen. The game deserved a draw.

Best I have seen Morais. 

With a full squad I think on that performance we are more than good enough to compete in this league.

Good run of fixtures coming up where we need to start picking up results and getting confidence into the squad.

Not hugely fussed about Magennis. Would have been nice to keep him but I suspect it wouldn't have been for long.Probably a business decision in the end.

Think JG will get it right. Looks a wee bit under pressure at the moment. Fairly confident Jim will work through it and get us up the league.

On 9/27/2020 at 1:16 PM, [email protected] said:

Seven defeats on the bounce might be approaching a record .? Worst forward line in my lifetime. 

On 9/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, Long John Baldy said:

I'm no mathematician but we're currently on 5 on the bounce, so, here's the good bit, I don't think we can be on 7 on the bounce after this game.

By the way, I came to this conclusion without the aid of a calculator. 

8 minutes ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

Think you will find its 6 do you want to try your math again 

Might have been an idea to read the next post to see this had already been pointed out. :lol:

Ok it’s six defeats now. Point taken. Great goal but very little else to enthuse. Confirms , however , that our forwards are very poor. I’ve been saying since more or less the minute I set eyes on them that Messrs Obika and Morais are woefully out their depth and not even nuisance value. Must get shot of the pair of them immediately and replace with footballers. If ant money was received from the sale of Magennis, it has to be used to recruit a goalscorer. Very sad at how things have turned out.

12 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Ok it’s six defeats now. Point taken. Great goal but very little else to enthuse. Confirms , however , that our forwards are very poor. I’ve been saying since more or less the minute I set eyes on them that Messrs Obika and Morais are woefully out their depth and not even nuisance value. Must get shot of the pair of them immediately and replace with footballers. If ant money was received from the sale of Magennis, it has to be used to recruit a goalscorer. Very sad at how things have turned out.

No point in having a "proven" goalscorer the way we set up in most games you need service to score goals and in the main that is sadly lacking we need creativity and service first and foremost without that there is no point in that goalscorer 

2 minutes ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

No point in having a "proven" goalscorer the way we set up in most games you need service to score goals and in the main that is sadly lacking we need creativity and service first and foremost without that there is no point in that goalscorer 

Agree that strikers need better service but not 100% convinced there will be whole lot of change if they get it ?

Having said that I'm also not 100% convinced we would be able to attract any better than we have up front already.

For me if everyone is fit, last night showed that we are more than able to be further up the league and out of relegation concerns

9 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Notice there's no interview with Goody after the game on FB. Unless I've missed. I think he gave one on the highlights. But never watched. Heard his not happy with the Magennis sale. Time someone stood up GLS and his yes men Fitzy and Alan Wardobe.

Why would he be happy with the Magennis sale. 

Sometimes maybe the club comes first ?

15 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Notice there's no interview with Goody after the game on FB. Unless I've missed. I think he gave one on the highlights. But never watched. Heard his not happy with the Magennis sale. Time someone stood up GLS and his yes men Fitzy and Alan Wardobe.

Interview on Buddievision/StMirrentv....

4 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Obika isn't good enough we've gave him enough chances, he has the weakest shot i've ever seen,

Our priority must surely be a striker who can score goals 

I would go and beg Celtic to lend us the lad Micky Johnston a real goalscorer. he has been out injured since last year and hopefully he's ready to start playing again ?  he'll be way down the pecking list there probably 5th choice at the moment, 

I think JG has always been looking for loan and permanent deals of this type but we can never pull it off. So we end up with what we have and I suspect it isn't going to change any time soon.

I think JG is well able to judge strikers but we are either paying too little i.e what we can afford,  or we just can't attract them ?

Edited by lenziebud

I just can't understand all the optimism after 1 decent performance but still a defeat against Aberdeen.

I was at 4 St Mirren v Aberdeen matches last season and we should have won 3 of them(again another defeat up there despite being the better team Tony Andreu being their best player that day) Mcinnes has Plan A of kick it hard and long at every opportunity and when that fails he goes back to Plan A.

Motherwell on a poor run recently went to Aberdeen and pumped them 3-0 Aberdeen of last 2 seasons is the worst Aberdeen team I have saw in years and for this reason I am taking nothing from last nights performance apart from its now 6 defeats in a row.

Faraway Saint got nail on the head when he said we normally have a poor performance on the back of a decent one but unfortunately St Mirren and Goodwin can't really afford that to happen again as we all see other teams occasionally play poor but somehow scrape a draw or win we play poor we inevitably lose.

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I just can't understand all the optimism after 1 decent performance but still a defeat against Aberdeen.

I was at 4 St Mirren v Aberdeen matches last season and we should have won 3 of them(again another defeat up there despite being the better team Tony Andreu being their best player that day) Mcinnes has Plan A of kick it hard and long at every opportunity and when that fails he goes back to Plan A.

Motherwell on a poor run recently went to Aberdeen and pumped them 3-0 Aberdeen of last 2 seasons is the worst Aberdeen team I have saw in years and for this reason I am taking nothing from last nights performance apart from its now 6 defeats in a row.

Faraway Saint got nail on the head when he said we normally have a poor performance on the back of a decent one but unfortunately St Mirren and Goodwin can't really afford that to happen again as we all see other teams occasionally play poor but somehow scrape a draw or win we play poor we inevitably lose.

We showed last night that we can compete and every bit as good as the others in bottom six. Lets see how it goes over the next 5 or 6 games. If we get the same performance and application in these more than winnable games then we should do well. Otherwise jobs will potentially be on the line.

Edited by lenziebud