Transfer Deadline Day

Hopefully we'll catch a break with the upcoming LC games being against lower division opposition playing their first competitive matches .

We only had 4 subs listed for the Aberdeen game. We've added one development player, a LB who we're hoping will be ready for the next league game, possibly a couple of signings from the out-of-contract market and that just leaves the return of the Flynn - no humble pie from me.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:09 PM, Bud the Baker said:

Hopefully we'll catch a break with the upcoming LC games being against lower division opposition playing their first competitive matches .

We only had 4 subs listed for the Aberdeen game. We've added one development player, a LB who we're hoping will be ready for the next league game, possibly a couple of signings from the out-of-contract market and that just leaves the return of the Flynn - no humble pie from me.

We didn't list our full compliment of 9 subs yesterday again, JG seems unable/unwilling to fill the bench with young players with only Lewis Jamieson (18) getting on the pitch recently - I realize there might be a financial aspect to this.

Most of the players who have made it to our first team from the likes of McGinn J., McLean to players who've made a lesser impact like Naismith, Baird had featured aged 18 - are the current crop really so far short of our current first team (especially given it's mediocre form) that they aren't even worth that spot on the bench?

1 hour ago, StanleySaint said:

Are we not restricted by testing rules to only include those termed as being part of the 'first team squad'?

Perhaps, hadn't really thought of that - do they mingle?

Same question anyway, are none of them close enough to the first team to warrant the extra expense?

Where does Finlayson fit into the picture then as I'm sure the OS said that he was signed as a bridge between the first team and development squad?

Edited by Bud the Baker

If a player isn’t in ‘the bubble’ (subject to all the testing etc) then they can’t be included in the match day squad hence why we couldn’t pick a 16/17/18 year old keeper to play against Hibs if we didn’t sign anyone.

That’s my understanding anyway and if true they probably want to keep the bubble as small as possible to reduce testing costs/ potential for infection etc

We didn't list our full compliment of 9 subs yesterday again, JG seems unable/unwilling to fill the bench with young players with only Lewis Jamieson (18) getting on the pitch recently - I realize there might be a financial aspect to this.
Most of the players who have made it to our first team from the likes of McGinn J., McLean to players who've made a lesser impact like Naismith, Baird had featured aged 18 - are the current crop really so far short of our current first team (especially given it's mediocre form) that they aren't even worth that spot on the bench?
Academy players are not being tested so cannot fill the bench. Only the first team squad can. The Academy is also light in some positions just now and some are out on loan. No point in signing/promoting more players when there is no league to play in.

The Academy players that were promoted to the first team squad have mostly been sent out on loan for now.

Once all the injuries clear up the bench should be full.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, FTOF said:
11 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:
No out-of-contact arrivals since the window closed - looks like we'll be going through to January with the present lot.

To be fair, even if we had any targets, the last few weeks would have made it very difficult to sign anyone.

Yeah that's what I thought, why bring in someone who might be short of match fitness & unfamiliar to the rest of the squad just to play a coupla games understrength - maybe we're just giving it a week or so before we do bring someone just to be diplomatic or then again maybe not...

Yeah that's what I thought, why bring in someone who might be short of match fitness & unfamiliar to the rest of the squad just to play a coupla games understrength - maybe we're just giving it a week or so before we do bring someone just to be diplomatic or then again maybe not...
I see a speculated target has signed for another club.

Was after we signed another left back.

BBC News - Junior Brown: Scunthorpe United snap up free agent after last season's loan spell
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54592173

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

No out-of-contact arrivals since the window closed - looks like we'll be going through to January with the present lot.

And nobody coming for any of our lot  ,could not give them away ,worst squad in our history. we have sold all the crown jewels.

On 10/28/2020 at 2:24 PM, FTOF said:
On 10/28/2020 at 2:13 PM, Bud the Baker said:

To be fair, even if we had any targets, the last few weeks would have made it very difficult to sign anyone.

Why?? Other teams managed it.

34 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Have you been living in a cave the last few weeks? We have been hit hard by COVID-19 which is what @FTOF was referring to.

I dont watch news or read newspapers. I take no notice or know what is happening with covid. At end of day players will sign for right price.