Brandon Mason

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

So our club will be paying for his rehab and his wages during this time and we will see no return. That is unbelievable

Is that how the deal works Yflab? I had no idea you were privileged enough to have access to the info.How much are we wasting per week while he’s injured?

Edited by HSS

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The decision to let Mullen go was ridiculous. He was most certainly a decent option to have in attack and given the circumstances the world is in, sometimes you're better to stick for now.

Danny was a bit short [in my opinion] a top league player.  but was a better goalscorer than anything we had,  or now have 

If he’s SPL quality, then why has he signed for Ayr? Or Morton the season before? Surely Accies or Livvy would have picked him up? 

I never said he was. But he's played in the SPL Daniel Finlayson has not played one min for Rangers or anyone else except a championship side called Orange County in the USA. Surely bairdy would be better than a kid with no experience. Thats all I'm saying.

6 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

I never said he was. But he's played in the SPL Daniel Finlayson has not played one min for Rangers or anyone else except a championship side called Orange County in the USA. Surely bairdy would be better than a kid with no experience. Thats all I'm saying.

On what I've seen 🤔  Probably not 

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

I’d imagine we are paying a significant chunk of his of wage. Injured or not. 

Hope there's not a lot of other teams out there offering to send us their injured players, if we're prepared to pay a significant chunk of their wages. :unsure:

30 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Who knows, not seen Finlayson play. He could well be...

3 hours ago, aldo_j said:

It’s a sad day when we’ve got fans hankering for Championship level players in Baird and Mullen. 

Sadder still that we cant replace them with equal to or better

Maybe these two signings are just squad fillers (never a good plan). I don't think the club would have consciously signed an injured player on loan, maybe more mismanagement by Coventry than by us.  If we really took a punt on someone in the hope that they would be available for maybe a month before they could be recalled then I would be concerned.

More concerning for me is the fact that if anyone already in the squad shows a bit of form and is under 24 then they can be expected to be sold on for a low fee to a competitor who will look to make a lot more by selling them on.  The way we are selling on seems to leave us in a downward spiral as it doesn't matter who moves on, we always replace with lower quality.

Up until now, the conventional wisdom has been that you invest in an academy and reap the rewards when your home-grown talent delivers  either success or a hefty fee.  Now it seems better sense to let other clubs develop the talent and you sign them up for a low fee and a promise of a cut of future profits.  Hibs seem to have a better grasp of the transfer market than us when they can raise cash for players when laying other staff off.  

4 hours ago, Yflab said:

I still can’t believe we have signed an injured player who may miss the next 6-8 weeks. So our club will be paying for his rehab and his wages during this time and we will see no return. That is unbelievable.

I’d rather the club had just come out to the support and said the target for left back that we were after is now long term injured, so we have made the decision to promote from the academy a young player who will train with the first team squad and be used from the bench or when suspension or injury kicks in. I’m sure most fans would have been supportive of promoting from our own academy than signing and paying good wages on an injured player.

Who would sanction such a signing? It’s bordering on incompetence. There will no doubt be supporters who bought season tickets to support the club in a time of need that have been hit hard financially because of COVID-19 who must be asking why they bothered. 

Is this another of JG’s sly dig at the board for selling Kyle? I actually think it might be. But hey maybe our physios can work miracles on Mason and he will be back playing after the international break. Pigs 🐷 might fly.

All this talk at the start of the season of aiming for the top 6 had me hoodwinked. More fool me.

We’ve known we had concerns over the defence for months. It was clear last season the Bairdy was never in Jim’s plans. Why did it take to the last day of the transfer window to sign a 19year old with no top flight experience as his replacement. It’s a feckin disgrace.

I’m scunnered at the way our club is being run. feckin scunnered.

You weren't alone.

Me, on the other hand, said it was pie in the sky with a poor manager, average players and no financial backing, or gambling as @oaksoft suggested. 

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

So if the news about his injury is true and he is out for 6-8 weeks do you think it was a good decision to sign this player than promote someone from the academy. That was the point I was making.

Shall we wait and see what the actual story is before soiling our breeks?

Like I said earlier we could only go on what was published on the official Coventry website. So if JG wants to speak to anyone that started the rumours he’d best call Mark Robins. 

Just a pity folk just read some of words. he did say probably for the time scale and was hopeful it would be less.

Now we also know we're not paying any wages until he arrives fit.

Chill pills available here

https://www.nutrichem.com/products/chill-pills

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Who's Ben Banks and that's not a direct quote from Goodwin. :blink:

FWIW I would be surprised if we'd signed a player that was out for a period of 6-8 weeks. 

Seems a bit of a chancer barely out of school with 1 yr of HND course but advertising himself like Scotland's foremost sports broadcaster/journo

ben.JPG

Edited by Katie Bear
...and time traveller completing that Honours degree course 3 years from now

24 minutes ago, Katie Bear said:

Seems a bit of a chancer barely out of school with 1 yr of HND course but advertising himself like Scotland's foremost sports broadcaster/journo

ben.JPG

Not in the best taste. The lad is just going to one of our media conferences and writing about it on a reasonably popular Scottish football website.

A League Cup, first match press conference for St Mirren v Partick isn’t going to attract the who’s who of Sporting media, I’d suggest.

Edit to add his website: https://www.nottheoldfirm.com

Edited by aldo_j

21 hours ago, norrie82 said:

The club is an embarrassment. I’m so disappointed in some of the things that are happening at present.   As a fan today I thought we might get a wee bit of ambition like United signing the lad mcnulty. Just something to soften the blow of our captain being sold for peanuts. It’s always the same tho and we are a poorly run club that has made a fool of itself twice in the past week with ridiculous statements.  
Anyhow if you look at the squad it’s not strong enough and the midfield is an area we don’t have enough depth. Sure Cammy and Ethan played well on Friday but will they have the physical and mental strength to go a whole season. I suspect not and McAllister has been nowhere near good enough whilst Foley and Durmus look a shadow of themselves. Throw in MCGrath who is tidy but has no end product. It’s a shame and also the lack of a goal threat now glaringly obvious.

Yes I know it’s a moan and I know that people may well say I’m wrong but It looks like a squad that’s going down. Kenny McLean was sold and never replaced and this looks like the same. Same old saints desperate to get a hundred grand or so for a player who might have made a difference in the relegation fight.

i want to be angry but I’m actually just really fed up with this and fed up in general at the minute. If the board Think they can shout about top six with this squad they’re off their head. This team has the stench of relegation all over it.

Actually old boy, I think perhaps YOU are the embarrassment, the lad wanted to go and could have gone for free (or development money only) in January, so tell me what would you have done, he had been offered aa 4 year deal and didn't want to sign.  OK; so did he take an unfair advantage and wait till he recovered from his injury and then decide to leave? Some might think so, but he was injured as a St Mirren player and entitled to receive the best treatment we could give him.  Are we happy about it? No we are not.  But has the lad done anything untoward? No he hasn't, so we suck it up and move on.  Do people like yourself; running down members of our squad help?  Is it at all productive?  Possibly not would be my take on that question, we are St Mirren. we support our team...............ALWAYS. COYS.