Queen of the South v St Mirren League Cup 10/10/20

shull

1 would take pens the now since it is the only thing we been good at for the last few years
And still good at [emoji23]

All said and done, get this 3 at the back to feck cause we can't expect every team we play to miss sitter after sitter against us

I know I'm dubious about Goodwin's ability but I'm not going to judge too much on this game. That surface was horrendous and the ball seemed to bounce back and forward at will and, unlike a lot of these surfaces in use in our game, the ball bobbled all over the place when played on the deck.

But.

To go two goals down to a team who have just started their campaign is still ridiculous. The players showed a lot of   spirit to bring it back though.

Regardless of how disappointing much of our play is this season there is no way we should get rid of Jim. I have no doubt he is giving it 100% and is St Mirren minded. We have had too many managers in recent years and there are still a load of imposters out there looking for work.We need to stick with it and hope that Jim has enough about him to keep us in the top flight and give us a good cup run.

Edited by magnus

We recovered well after another piss poor 1st half. 

5 points from 2 games is decent even if large periods of our play has been lacking. 

A win against Queens Park,  and we should be almost into the knockout stages. 

Plenty of room for improvement before a run of league games that could define where we end up this season. 

2 minutes ago, magnus said:

Regardless of how disappointing much of our play is this season there is no way we should get rid of Jim. I have no doubt he is giving it 100% and is St Mirren minded. We have had too many managers in recent years and there are still a load of imposters out there looking for work.We need to stick with it and hope that Jim has enough about him to keep us in the top flight and give us a good cup run.

Sentiment won't win us anything.

Goodwin, at best, might see us just survive.

As for a cup run, unless we get lower division teams we will get eaten up I'm afraid. 

6 minutes ago, magnus said:

Regardless of how disappointing much of our play is this season there is no way we should get rid of Jim. I have no doubt he is giving it 100% and is St Mirren minded.

Theres nobody more Saints minded than Fitzy, but he was a sh*te manager. Sentiment is one thing, but we need someone at the helm who can kick arse and get us going.

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Sentiment won't win us anything.

Goodwin, at best, might see us just survive.

As for a cup run, unless we get lower division teams we will get eaten up I'm afraid. 

Survival is fine for me this year. Stay in the top flight and stay in business. Flynn back, McCarthy back and no more crazy suspensions from Tait and Shaugnessy and we have a decent team.

8 minutes ago, magnus said:

Survival is fine for me this year. Stay in the top flight and stay in business. Flynn back, McCarthy back and no more crazy suspensions from Tait and Shaugnessy and we have a decent team.

Christ, that's ambitious. 

I don't know what makes you think we have a decent team but one thing's for sure, we don't have a decent manager.

We looked very vulnerable at the back again today. Looked to me like it was a 4-3-3  with Sheron playing alongside Shaughnessy. Anyway it was a slightly better second half although we still get carved open far too easily at times. McPherson did well again and Connolly impressed. 

It still looks like Goodwin is trying to find a team and formation that will see us do far better than what we've seen so far this season. The next quarter of league matches will be crucial for the team and manager.  

1 hour ago, magnus said:

The possibility of that tremendous ambition of survival is less likely if we cannot find someone who can motivate and organise a team though.

3 at the back doesn't work. It worked vs The Sheep but has been horribly exploited vs two pish teams. Goodwin seems to have no idea how to set us up. Very worrying.

Sheron is worse than hopeless. Get him tae feck, get 4 at the back, build the midfield around Cammy and Ethan. Probably Foley holding mid if he sobers up and McGrath at the top end.

Up top is tombola time. Either 2 up or 1 up with one floating. Personel pose problems here. I want to like Erwin but he seems out of shape and out of sorts. Big John has feet made of lego and gets smaller when he jumps but has a fair scoring record. Im hoping the menace when fit plays off a slimmer fit Erwin tbh, or let's get a decent out of contract forward. Such dilemmas....

We looked very vulnerable at the back again today. Looked to me like it was a 4-3-3  with Sheron playing alongside Shaughnessy. Anyway it was a slightly better second half although we still get carved open far too easily at times. McPherson did well again and Connolly impressed. 
It still looks like Goodwin is trying to find a team and formation that will see us do far better than what we've seen so far this season. The next quarter of league matches will be crucial for the team and manager.  

I couldn’t wok out what our formation was.
Looked like three at the back at times, but Foley was often the last man, which is mad if we were 4-4-2 with Foley in midfield.
Sharon has been invisible for me - I didn’t know he was playing against Thistle until he was subbed off. Similar today.

Once McCarthy is back we need to revert to a back four.

6 hours ago, magnus said:

I hate to say it but he has had enough games to figure out a formation and players that work and then fecks about with it again. He seems incredibly stubborn which will do him no favours. I really don't want another manager to come in but he seems to miss the glaring obvious with regards to some players and don't think he has what it takes at this level which surprises me as he talks well , seems to understand the game but then makes so many management errors which have cost us points. Feck me we would be as well having fan management by poll as well as fan ownership. Could you imagine having votes on bringing on subs etc at certain times throughout the game. it would be hilarious but would probably still work out better as long as we knew if certain players had fitness issues. Interactive fan ownership is the way forward.  Paisley panda can approve the subs with the linesman. Would make it a bit more interesting, interactive and fun at least. St Mirren football manager 2022. Surely can't be any worse than some of our previous managers efforts. 😉

I don't like picking on individual players , but for the life of me , I can't understand how Sheron gets a jersey. The game just seems to bypass him , wherever he's supposed to be playing. I get that managers tend to favour their own signings , but surely it must be as obvious to JG , as it is to everyone else , that he is not hacking it at this level !

6 hours ago, billyg said:

I don't like picking on individual players , but for the life of me , I can't understand how Sheron gets a jersey. The game just seems to bypass him , wherever he's supposed to be playing. I get that managers tend to favour their own signings , but surely it must be as obvious to JG , as it is to everyone else , that he is not hacking it at this level !

It's no coincidence that we always, always play better without him in the side. He should be gone 1st of January as it's painful to watch him in terms of position, contribution, passing range, passing choice. Even if he was poor at all of those but good at breaking up play, I'd get it but his tackling isn't up to par either.

It's also a really sad story that is unfolding in front of us with Kyle McAllister. The lad broke into a truly awful side and looked like a bit of a shining star. Pacy, direct, very skilful and annoyed full backs and he get a deserved move south out of it.

When he came back on loan, whilst he wasn't exactly consistent under Kearney but he chipped in with massive performances at vital times and for that, he was a player that was essential to keep.

Since returning full time though, the decline in the lad has been painful to watch, especially as he's still very young indeed. I don't know if injuries have taken their toll or if it's the associated mental factors that come with those injuries that are at play but there is clearly just something not there. I watched him yesterday against the QotS full back, like we've done for almost 18 months now and when he picks the ball up, it's never in a good area, he always seems to be too deep, too high, too far away from the ball and so he constantly gives himself far too much to do. When he does have possession, he has it in his head that he can go past players but he never successfully does, I counted about half a dozen times yesterday that he ran straight into the full-back. 

Rarely, if ever do you see him doing that usual winger trait of give and go. Pass inside and make the full back work off the ball, drag him out of position, even if you don't get the ball, you might open up a bit of space for someone else. That just doesn't happen. Whether he's been told not to do that or what I don't know. But something has just seemed 'off' with him for a long time and it's terrible to see as when we brought him back on a 3 year deal, I, like most fans were chuffed. Yeah we understood the injury issues and he'd have to be managed carefully but if he was available for 25 games a season, that would be brilliant compared to not having him. 

Compare him to a guy in that same midfield position as him on the opposite team - Aidan Fitzpatrick. I said a few months ago when Thorvaldsson was coming that I was shocked if we were looking at a right mid that we didn't go for Fitzpatrick, also a Norwich player. The lad yesterday was fast, direct, LOVED running at our defence, constantly cutting inside and he got one goal from it and really should have had another in the 2nd half.  Nothing I saw of him yesterday changed my opinion that he'd have improved our squad and I was shocked when QotS got him.

I'm at stage where I'm not even pissed off at Kyle anymore like I was last season, I'm just concerned that someone so clearly talented has lost it for whatever reason - you don't just become a bad footballer overnight.  I genuinely hope we see the best of Kyle in a Saints shirt but right now, that seems a million miles away. 

Edited by djchapsticks

It's no coincidence that we always, always play better without him in the side. He should be gone 1st of January as it's painful to watch him in terms of position, contribution, passing range, passing choice. Even if he was poor at all of those but good at breaking up play, I'd get it but his tackling isn't up to par either.
It's also a really sad story that is unfolding in front of us with Kyle McAllister. The lad broke into a truly awful side and looked like a bit of a shining star. Pacy, direct, very skilful and annoyed full backs and he get a deserved move south out of it.
When he came back on loan, whilst he wasn't exactly consistent under Kearney but he chipped in with massive performances at vital times and for that, he was a player that was essential to keep.
Since returning full time though, the decline in the lad has been painful to watch, especially as he's still very young indeed. I don't know if injuries have taken their toll or if it's the associated mental factors that come with those injuries that are at play but there is clearly just something not there. I watched him yesterday against the QotS full back, like we've done for almost 18 months now and when he picks the ball up, it's never in a good area, he always seems to be too deep, too high, too far away from the ball and so he constantly gives himself far too much to do. When he does have possession, he has it in his head that he can go past players but he never successfully does, I counted about half a dozen times yesterday that he ran straight into the full-back. 
Rarely, if ever do you see him doing that usual winger trait of give and go. Pass inside and make the full back work off the ball, drag him out of position, even if you don't get the ball, you might open up a bit of space for someone else. That just doesn't happen. Whether he's been told not to do that or what I don't know. But something has just seemed 'off' with him for a long time and it's terrible to see as when we brought him back on a 3 year deal, I, like most fans were chuffed. Yeah we understood the injury issues and he'd have to be managed carefully but if he was available for 25 games a season, that would be brilliant compared to not having him. 
Compare him to a guy in that same midfield position as him on the opposite team - Aidan Fitzpatrick. I said a few months ago when Thorvaldsson was coming that I was shocked if we were looking at a right mid that we didn't go for Fitzpatrick, also a Norwich player. The lad yesterday was fast, direct, LOVED running at our defence, constantly cutting inside and he got one goal from it and really should have had another in the 2nd half.  Nothing I saw of him yesterday changed my opinion that he'd have improved our squad and I was shocked when QotS got him.
I'm at stage where I'm not even pissed off at Kyle anymore like I was last season, I'm just concerned that someone so clearly talented has lost it for whatever reason - you don't just become a bad footballer overnight.  I genuinely hope we see the best of Kyle in a Saints shirt but right now, that seems a million miles away. 
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

13 hours ago, scam75 said:

3 at the back doesn't work. It worked vs The Sheep but has been horribly exploited vs two pish teams. Goodwin seems to have no idea how to set us up. Very worrying.

Sheron is worse than hopeless. Get him tae feck, get 4 at the back, build the midfield around Cammy and Ethan. Probably Foley holding mid if he sobers up and McGrath at the top end.

Up top is tombola time. Either 2 up or 1 up with one floating. Personel pose problems here. I want to like Erwin but he seems out of shape and out of sorts. Big John has feet made of lego and gets smaller when he jumps but has a fair scoring record. Im hoping the menace when fit plays off a slimmer fit Erwin tbh, or let's get a decent out of contract forward. Such dilemmas....

First time I've heard this on Foley which is interesting as he is a shadow of the player of last season.

The menace is the answer to nothing. Should never have been brought to the club and should be exited asap.

I agree on Erwin. Problem is that I don't think its going to change as my gut instinct is he is a clown and that his career is going to fizzle out.