Sign in to follow this  
Yflab

European Super League

The point a lot of people are making is that to get to the rich tournaments still requires merit, admittedly that merit can be bought to a certain extent, the ESL idea removes that element of merit and guarantees access to those clubs who may not otherwise have qualified for CL, even in the EPL where places in the CL have been inflated over the years not all of the big 6 can qualify and in some years, like perhaps this year only half can. It is an abomination of an idea.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The changes will ensure more clubs have more games, how will this only favour the big clubs? 

Thanks for your input. :byebye

You're using only in a different context to the one I used I never made the above claim but as we're here, we're queer, and drinking all your beer who else will benefit from extra entries being doled out to the "non-qualifiers" with the highest coefficients? Both proposals share the same ethos - the ESL one is just further down the path on a journey that began with the changes made in 97.

I'll repeat my prediction that a compromise will be reached and a proposal similar to the current ESL offering will be back on the agenda 5 years from now - minus the current levels of outrage. :rolleyes:

:byebye Am I doing it right?

Edited by Bud the Baker

10 hours ago, cambiebud said:

You have to laugh at the outrage from Sky. Single handedly destroyed the game by pouring vast amounts into EPL. Now being outbid by this cricket style breakaway. It matters not a jot to St Mirren so let them get on with it. Unfortunately the bigot brothers aren’t big enough to be invited so will suffer financially, so that’s a bonus.

If only

They will be invited at some stage or some kind of another breakaway league

The Sky deal is only there for them

Good quote from a Leeds player

A big uproar because someone is getting hurt in the pocket over this

Not the same uproar regarding racism though

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

You're using only in a different context to the one I used I never made the above claim but as we're here, we're queer, and drinking all your beer who else will benefit from extra entries being doled out to the "non-qualifiers" with the highest coefficients? Both proposals share the same ethos - the ESL one is just further down the path on a journey that began with the changes made in 97.

I'll repeat my prediction that a compromise will be reached and a proposal similar to the current ESL offering will be back on the agenda 5 years from now - minus the current levels of outrage. :rolleyes:

:byebye Am I doing it right?

You're missing the key issue in this new proposal, overlooking it, which is a closed door group of 15.

Not sure what your trying to do TBH. 🙄 PS As youve not watched European football for 30 years I'd suggest that could be why you're not getting the outrage by supporters? 

Edited by faraway saint

This is all going pretty much as I suspected it would do years and years ago when money started pouring in to the game.

Despite all the money coming in, more and more is needed just to stand still. It's the very definition of a bubble. At some point, and it's looking close now, that bubble might well burst, leaving many clubs unable to service their debts. Maybe the TV money will eventually peter out for teams not involved in this tournament. At that point we're going to potentially see real damage to all those clubs who have rattled up debts. This has the potential to cause devastation to the game across the continent. Nobody wins from this. The clubs involved will rack up further debts and the clubs not involved will maybe have substantially less money from TV and could face going bust.

Despite all of that, greed will ensure that this will go ahead IMO and an agreement will be made to distribute more money down the chain.

UEFA are not about to kill their premier tournament in the summer by banning players from the Euros.

The key to the impact elsewhere is what TV companies do with all of this.

When I heard that Pogba was holding out for 500k a week I gave up on any realism in the modern game

The beauty of the Underdog has been destroyed by fat cats , agents and players who are hardly Pele or Maradona

Thank God I watch a wee team in Paisley where achievement is obvious and not clouded 

If the EPL were to boot out the ESL clubs from the league, then I’d assume that the broadcasters will have cast iron  agreements that will ensure the TV contracts are ripped up. The EPL would not slit their own throat, so this talk of kicking the ESL clubs out of the league is a bluff imho and the ESL clubs know that. 

3 minutes ago, Slash said:

If the EPL were to boot out the ESL clubs from the league, then I’d assume that the broadcasters will have cast iron  agreements that will ensure the TV contracts are ripped up. The EPL would not slit their own throat, so this talk of kicking the ESL clubs out of the league is a bluff imho and the ESL clubs know that. 

I tend to agree with this although I would love to see a wee bit of strength from the impacted leagues including EPL. Kick the clubs out, take the financial hits and rebuild your own brands in a competitive league format without a potential glass ceiling above seventh place. 

The big issue will be large borrowing and financial commitments though, like almost everything else on the subject, money is king. 

Let them go

Let them go

Let them go

We and Scottish Football will carry on regardless.

Even better if we really encouraged Celtic and Sevco to follow the greedy cnuts. Boot them tae feck.

Real Madrid v Liverpool on TV ? FECKING NAW . A cheating diver's paradise.

Saints at Somerset Park on a freezing Tuesday in a Challenge Cup tie. Done it and would do it again. Bliss.

Strange how all these super dooper,elite,successful clubs are at least 100 million in debt

Barca are over 1billion euros. Real Madrid not far behind. Beggars (sic) belief. What happened to Financial Fair Play?

the bottom line on this (at least my version of it)

the more cash the clubs can access (notice I don't say the more cash they actually HAVE) then the more cash the players will demand.  the money will instantly be used up in a bidding war for the same pool of talent that exists just now, club owners will also cream off their share of the take before servicing loans, so what's the benefit?

Other than killing any meaningful competition and therefore making this the ONLY game in town, there appears to be none.  the rest of football will be expected to exist by paying through the nose for loanees whose contracts originate in the ESL, because they sign up anyone who looks remotely promising and place them in nurseries.  the nursery teams will probably be contractually obliged to take their share of the bad as well as the good and to promise their own nurtured talent to the teams above them in the pecking (troughing?) order.  I beieve a system exosts in the NFL and other sports where a pool of talent is divided up across the league, but it's not fair or equitable in the way it works

2 hours ago, HSS said:

Strange how all these super dooper,elite,successful clubs are at least 100 million in debt 🤔

but they are servicing their debt and the owners are taking their slice before anyone else gets paid-that appears to be the business model to me.  they just want a bigger slice of a bigger pie

This is another fairy tale, destroyed? default_blink.png
This new move won't have much, if any effect, on the OF, no need to get excited by that I'm afraid. 

Of course it will Faraway. A Champions League without 20 of the biggest clubs will mean less prize money for the rump left behind. I see UEFA are now claiming that Champions League negotiations are ongoing to vastly increase money. This will be to try and change the minds of the rebels and would be a win for them in the short term. Little of these vast sums will filter down to the likes of Celtic and The Rangers. The gap will increase even more and will lead to them chasing the money by overspending. That worked out well for the previous occupants of Ibrox.

6 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

Of course it will Faraway. A Champions League without 20 of the biggest clubs will mean less prize money for the rump left behind. I see UEFA are now claiming that Champions League negotiations are ongoing to vastly increase money. This will be to try and change the minds of the rebels and would be a win for them in the short term. Little of these vast sums will filter down to the likes of Celtic and The Rangers. The gap will increase even more and will lead to them chasing the money by overspending. That worked out well for the previous occupants of Ibrox.

Aye, on 2nd thoughts there would be a drop for everyone.

But what are you saying, the new proposal would see less money AND the new Champions League format?

The Old Firm are generally scraping around for the scraps anyway, they rarely progress TO the group stages never mind get beyond that.

IF the changes are made to the Champions League more money will be available to every stage, therefore more money for Rangers and Celtic, or whoever else wins our league. :wink:

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Latest news, it's looking like Chelsea have listened to their support and football support overall and are making moves to withdraw from this "closed club" proposal.

Well done them. :happyclapper

Abramovich.....

3864E9B8-B4F3-4B12-AA77-BFAD6FA67604.jpeg.98d61e9bffe6b6100a622cb78f65ef25.jpeg

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Latest news, it's looking like Chelsea have listened to their support and football support overall and are making moves to withdraw from this "closed club" proposal.

Well done them. :happyclapper

Can see the likes of Liverpool following. 

I don't think I've heard anyone say that it was a good idea. 

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Except @bazil85 there's been no one that's involved, or been involved, or anyone that knows about football.

The clubs owners, well, that's a different matter.

I would not be surprised if he is employed as a PR cuntsultant.

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Except @bazil85 there's been no one that's involved, or been involved, or anyone that knows about football.

The clubs owners, well, that's a different matter.

Yeah, that's the problem with most foreign owners- no grasp of what supporters want , just all about maximising profits regardless of the fallout.