Gordon Urquhart

So sad to let you know about the untimely passing of Steve Rowan, sometimes known round these parts as Gordon Urquhart. Steve was a great friend and a good buddy, and I will miss him dearly.

Steve was an active member of the Saints community. Back in the early days of the guest book forums, whilst living down south he was Teletext Boy. Announcing the match day goings ons  to the exiles online during the Tom Hendrie era.

Later, he poignantly captured the passing of one of Saints’ most sacred treasures by producing Love Street the Movie.

He leaves behind a fine young man Andrew, with whom he could be found in the West Stand every home game, cheering on the buddies. My thoughts are very much with him.

Ach, that’s sad.  Untimely indeed.  :( 

A genuinely decent intelligent man.

We met in The Last Post a few years ago, to talk about a movie just like the one that featured the Gordon Urquhart character. He was funny, articulate, passionate and promptly bought his round.  Easily likeable.

My best wishes to his family and friends.

So sad to let you know about the untimely passing of Steve Rowan, sometimes known round these parts as Gordon Urquhart. Steve was a great friend and a good buddy, and I will miss him dearly.
Steve was an active member of the Saints community. Back in the early days of the guest book forums, whilst living down south he was Teletext Boy. Announcing the match day goings ons  to the exiles online during the Tom Hendrie era.
Later, he poignantly captured the passing of one of Saints’ most sacred treasures by producing Love Street the Movie.
He leaves behind a fine young man Andrew, with whom he could be found in the West Stand every home game, cheering on the buddies. My thoughts are very much with him.
Heard the news on twitter a few days ago. Really sad news. A lovely guy. Always happy to talk to all about his beloved Saints. Condolences to his family down in Troon. Another great buddie gone. So sad [emoji45]

Jesus that has totally taken the wind out of me reading this, awful news and a real shock as I haven't seen him for a few months. Obviously living in the same town we naturally got to know each other and myself and my son used to meet him and his boy on the train or in the 1877 club most weeks. Very very sad.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:14 PM, Callum Gilhooley said:

Sorry to hear of the passing of a fellow Bud , especially one who seems to have been a thoroughly decent soul 🙁 R.I.P.

Can anyone who knew him answer , was Stevie originally from Foxbar ? Sort of Don / Dee drive area ? 

Lammermuir Drive Glenburn when I got to know him about '78

• 2 weeks later...

I'll break my self imposed posting ban to pass comment on Steve's untimely passing... 

Yes Steve and I got together with the idea of doing a film regarding the closure of the Love St years. He was working in broadcast equipment hire and myself in broadcast TV coverage. It was a fair old bumpy ride putting the thing together, it never quite turned out as originally intended but we became good pals during or indeed 'in spite' of the process. Steve's marketing experience and good sales abilities were priceless throughout.

I got to know his family too, him, the Mrs and young Andrew relocating to Troon after a time down south, around the time of the movie project. I hadn't been to many games or made much contact after we left Love Street owing to the usual weekend work commitments, but finally ran into Steve and Andrew at a cold midweek game in late 2018 after my leg amputation experience had seen me laid up for most of that year. Sadly that was when he informed me his beloved other half had contracted,  and quickly succumbed to cancer and everything was up in the air. Steve somehow soldiered on and was still a regular at both home and away games with Andrew by his side.

So with that in mind, I hope he's in a happier place now and that (if you believe in these kind of things) that they are back together.  If you see Andrew at a game in the future, and know him, wish him well. 

My sincere condolences to family and friends. May they both rest in peace. 

Edited by FS
Typo

Despite growing up in the same area (some years apart) and the shared love of saints, i only really knew Steve since the time we both worked for different companies on the BBC's Pacific Quay project and became friends there.

a thoroughly nice man without pretensions and a very pleasant way with him.  I rarely go to games these days and it's maybe three years since I spoke with him, which is sad.

very sad loss and like Allan says, hopefully Steve is in a happier place now

Edited by beyond our ken