The 20 best sandwich recipes....

Bud the Baker

Being from The Grauniad some of them are a bit poncey. - destined for Psueds Corner in Private Eye...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/oct/26/the-20-best-sandwich-recipes

Out of those listed my fave is Ham sandwich in a French bar by David Tanis but with a lot less butter.

My main criticism of most of the sandwiches listed is the time, preparation & don't forget the washing up for what is supposed to be a quick easy to make snack.

My favourite sandwich is corned beef plus too much beetroot, the latter just to see the colour of my pee the next day! :green 

Edited by Bud the Baker

When I worked in Food Research, a thousand years ago, a company phoned up to enquire why the the bacon in their bacon&egg sandwiches was losing it's colour - after a series of phone calls between the egg supplier, sandwich maker & me it turned out that the supplier had recently increased the salt content of the brine the eggs (hard boiled) were transported in.

Club sandwich...Bottom is buttered bread, salt n vinegar crisps (flavoursome ones like McCoys or Squares).
Middle, buttered bread, cheese, sliced pickled onions.
Top buttered bread.
A bit of a heartburn sandwich but a once-in-a-while taste sensation.

Is the middle slice of bread buttered on both sides or just one and if just on one, what side top or bottom?

• 3 weeks later...
I have just slaughtered and relished a ciabatta roll containing marge, fried new potatoes slathered in broon sauce with a side salad of Kettle Chips!  Yum!

Are my homespun Buddie roots showing?  [emoji4]

Kettle Chips????

They're just CRISPS ya snobby git.

And any self respecting Scot would obviously use full fat butter, not marge (whoever she is).

:)

15 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Kettle Chips????

And any self respecting Scot would obviously use full fat butter, not marge (whoever she is).

Your use of that wee YELLOW smilie, tells me that you really do know who Marge is.

"The Simpsons" Large Marge (TV Episode 2002) Poster

40 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Kettle Chips????

Butter is not that far different from Margerine in water content, I used to work in Oils & Fats (not a euphemism)  - both 15-20% water IIRC.

A true Scot would use Ghee - Happy Diwali. 🤲 🪔

Edited by Bud the Baker

46 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Butter is not that far different from Margerine in water content, I used to work in Oils & Fats (not a euphemism)  - both 15-20% water IIRC.

A true Scot would use Ghee - Happy Diwali. 🤲 🪔

V. interesting, BtB..

OK Full disclosure... :o

It wisnae even Marge that I had.

It wis Flora ProActive Light, Clinically Proven to Lower Cholestorol.

And, looking at the ingredients after reading BtB's post, I'm gobsmacked to note that it contains as Prime ingredient - Water!   No mention in what proportion the water is....but if you read the other ingredients which add up to 42%, you can swiftly come to a 58% conclusion...

Saddening - an expected unhealthy snack has been transformed into a long wet drink.  :(

1 hour ago, antrin said:

V. interesting, BtB..

OK Full disclosure... :o

It wisnae even Marge that I had.

It wis Flora ProActive Light, Clinically Proven to Lower Cholestorol.

And, looking at the ingredients after reading BtB's post, I'm gobsmacked to note that it contains as Prime ingredient - Water!   No mention in what proportion the water is....but if you read the other ingredients which add up to 42%, you can swiftly come to a 58% conclusion...

Saddening - an expected unhealthy snack has been transformed into a long wet drink.  :(

Yeah the use of emulsifiers (and water) as a low calorie fat alternative is a complicated issue, many such as lecithin are naturally occurring in plants, others are artificial combinations of fatty acids 

Funny story from the last millennium is Olestra which was patented in the US to make low calorie crisps (Pringles) amongst other things however Americans started to pig out so much that they began suffering from "lose stools" as well as actually gaining weight in some cases - amazingly enough a quick fact-check (wiki) shows Proctor & Gamble still have a license to sell it in the US. 

That's BigFood 4ya - no doubt we'll be having Olestra with our chlorinated chicken next year once Boris folds over the Internal Markets Bill. :death

Edited by Bud the Baker

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yeah the use of emulsifiers (and water) as a low calorie fat alternative is a complicated issue, many such as lecithin are naturally occurring in plants, others are artificial combinations of fatty acids 

Funny story from the last millennium is Olestra which was patented in the US to make low calorie crisps (Pringles) amongst other things) however Americans started to pig out so much that they began suffering from "lose stools" as well as actually gaining weight in some cases - amazingly enough a quick fact-check (wiki) shows Proctor & Gamble still have a license to sell it in the US. 

That's BigFood 4ya - no doubt we'll be having Olestra with our chlorinated chicken next year once Boris folds over the Internal Markets Bill. :death

Tut-tut, they aren't allowed to call Pringles crisps as there isn't enough potato content.

17 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Tut-tut, they aren't allowed to call Pringles crisps as there isn't enough potato content.

Or are they?

https://metro.co.uk/2016/10/26/stop-everything-pringles-are-a-biscuit-not-a-crisp-6216352/

So which is it? Are Pringles currently now a biscuit or a crisp? Pringles are now owned by Kellogg’s after the company bought the product in 2012. Kellogg’s have confirmed to Metro.co.uk that the 2009 ruling still stands and Pringles are currently a potato chip or crisp subject to VAT.

It isn’t the first high profile attempt by a company to avoid VAT either. McVitie’s biscuits successfully argued that Jaffa Cakes are a (tax free) cake

It certainly seems a contentious issue, with other sites citing that the product does not meet requirements due to potato content and shape...:wacko: