St Mirren v Dundee Utd 5/11/20

faraway saint

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

Yes, someone to play alongside Dennis as the rest simply aren't good enough. The gamble on Erwin hasn't worked either

I still think Obika has something to offer.Did well when he came on last night.

2 hours ago, munoz said:

I'm 50-50 on that. Personally I was disappointed with his performance last night. All the ability is there with him but he just doesn't realize it. He needs to do way more though than what he has been doing for quite a while now. Not sure I'd offer him a new contract in the summer either. Its our achilles heel at the moment. 

Edited by lenziebud

Just doesn't do it enough Obika. We know he's a good player. But sometimes it looks like he can't be bothered. Dont understand the Dylan Connelly situation. Not quoted at all. Even Morias gets a game before him. Must be something Goodwin sees in training.

15 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I'm 50-50 on that. Personally I was disappointed with his performance last night. All the ability is there with him but he just doesn't realize it. He needs to do way more though than what he has been doing for quite a while now. Not sure I'd offer him a new contract in the summer either. Its our achilles heel at the moment. 

He came on with 19 minutes remaining- could have easily won us a penalty on a different day, and got himself into good positions.  

His goals last season were the difference between us staying up or going down.

Gary I know where you are coming from but the shape of the team last night was the best it has been all season.The point is where do you fit Connolly in the starting lineup.Fraser was great in the middle of the back three McCarthy looked comfy on the right of centre and the full backs were bombing forward.We had good young energy in midfield with Cammy playing just behind the striker.I think we took Utd by surprise and at no time did I feel in danger.No for the moment Jim has given up on outright wingers because of the formation and Connolly will be seen as an impact player along with Kyle.The signs are good we had a strong bench last night and still have Flynn and Durmus to call on.

Just doesn't do it enough Obika. We know he's a good player. But sometimes it looks like he can't be bothered. Dont understand the Dylan Connelly situation. Not quoted at all. Even Morias gets a game before him. Must be something Goodwin sees in training.

8 hours ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

We wont be relegated this season nothing but doom and gloom from you if your that confident we will be i will wager you £50 to a charity of choosing we dont. The 2 new boys had good games and look decent prospects why bother with you comments if only ever negative. 

Your opinion of course. Thanks but I don’t indulge in betting. Unfortunately it’s impossible not to be negative about Saints this season., I don’t relish that.

Obika is frustrating. Yes he got into a great position for the non-penalty which was good play but twice prior to that he did his usual - unable to control a simple pass and overhitting the ball. I remember a game in Perth last season when 3 times he was through on a one to one with the keeper and each time he overhit the ball allowing the keeper to calmly just lift it up.

Last season we were 3rd top with Aberdeen on creating chances but bottom for converting chances. There lies the problem.

Watching Rangers ripping Hamilton apart it should be mentioned that while we are honking up front we don't get hammered. 

Most other teams, especially when they play the OF, take a beating but we can usually keep it sensible.

The problem seems to be we look incapable of turning losses into draws and draws into wins, the Dundee United game being a classic example.

They were there for the beating but we never looked like winning the match throughout the long 90 minutes. 

That is the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread - we haven’t got it right up front just now but in terms of quality of performance we matched Aberdeen and were better team against United. Find our shooting boots and we will be fine in this league. 

1 minute ago, Dare said:

That is the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread - we haven’t got it right up front just now but in terms of quality of performance we matched Aberdeen and were better team against United. Find our shooting boots and we will be fine in this league. 

I agree on both the games you mentioned but I could mention more games where we have been honking.

There's something missing, and, IMO, that starts with the manager. 

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Watching Rangers ripping Hamilton apart it should be mentioned that while we are honking up front we don't get hammered. 

Most other teams, especially when they play the OF, take a beating but we can usually keep it sensible.

The problem seems to be we look incapable of turning losses into draws and draws into wins, the Dundee United game being a classic example.

They were there for the beating but we never looked like winning the match throughout the long 90 minutes. 

Over the past two-and-a-bit seasons we've always had better GDs than Hamilton, they tend to get the occasional humping - the difference is while it's generally been a grind for us Accies pull the odd big result out of the bag which has generally kept them close to us.

13 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Over the past two-and-a-bit seasons we've always had better GDs than Hamilton, they tend to get the occasional humping - the difference is while it's generally been a grind for us Accies pull the odd big result out of the bag which has generally kept them close to us.

Indeed, they, and most other teams, tend to have a go while we slither around giving the support little to really cheer about.

COYS my arse. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I agree on both the games you mentioned but I could mention more games where we have been honking.

There's something missing, and, IMO, that starts with the manager.

Defo

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

There is a real danger we are going to get isolated along with Accies…………….

It was good not to lose but 6 league goals in 11 games is ta ta form

Depends on the outcome of the COVID nonsense we are facing. We have 2 home games in hand which we are well capable of winning, especially Hamilton. Also the team is starting to take a bit of shape and we might start to pick up more points than we have recently. Don't think there will be much between the bottom 6. 

I have just checked. We are bottom of the League on Shots on Target with 29 but not bottom on Shots Taken - we are just hopeless at shooting. Dundee Utd are second bottom with 33 Shots on Target. However Dundee Utd are 6 places above us in the League with more than double the points for only 4 more shots on target however they have played 3 more games than us so those stats could change significantly.

Obika has a poor scoring rate for chances created (takes too many touches, won't shoot from distance) - scored 44 goals in last 5 years. Erwin admits he is not a goalscorer but supports a goal scorer - scored 27 goals in last 5 years. Dennis has scored 88 goals in last 5 years - more than Obika and Erwin combined.

For the chances we create we have to stick with Dennis and I am confident the results will come. We have had a torrid time this seasons with disruption however the last two league games against Aberdeen and Utd were both games we should have got more out of with a new formation which has energy and is creating chances. Keep playing the ball in the deck and flooding the opposition box when we charge forward should change our fortunes.

On 11/5/2020 at 1:05 PM, God of war said:

Your only concern? 🤣🤣🤣pass that on to the coaching staff then...im sure they are worried you are concerned? What do you know about the players fitness athers dont🤣🤣

If you had listened to JG's comments during the week, he had said some players had only been able to minor training in the house over last couple of weeks which is obviously not ideal. That's where that came from.

4 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

If you had listened to JG's comments during the week, he had said some players had only been able to minor training in the house over last couple of weeks which is obviously not ideal. That's where that came from.

Dundee Utd who have been playing regularly looked more tired than us on Friday.

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Accies are total mince this year, god knows what Rice says to them before they go out.

His comment re Southamptons 9-0 defeat is comical

And Goodwin is his twin!

11 hours ago, Sonny said:

I have just checked. We are bottom of the League on Shots on Target with 29 but not bottom on Shots Taken - we are just hopeless at shooting. Dundee Utd are second bottom with 33 Shots on Target. However Dundee Utd are 6 places above us in the League with more than double the points for only 4 more shots on target however they have played 3 more games than us so those stats could change significantly.

Obika has a poor scoring rate for chances created (takes too many touches, won't shoot from distance) - scored 44 goals in last 5 years. Erwin admits he is not a goalscorer but supports a goal scorer - scored 27 goals in last 5 years. Dennis has scored 88 goals in last 5 years - more than Obika and Erwin combined.

For the chances we create we have to stick with Dennis and I am confident the results will come. We have had a torrid time this seasons with disruption however the last two league games against Aberdeen and Utd were both games we should have got more out of with a new formation which has energy and is creating chances. Keep playing the ball in the deck and flooding the opposition box when we charge forward should change our fortunes.

You only have to watch Dennis for 5 minutes to see why this is the case