Sign in to follow this  
Sonny

Welcome Jake Doyle-Hayes

24 minutes ago, God of war said:

Would think now JDH has a contract elsewhere. Do we wait till we are safe and drop him so we can build for next season? What do folk think, personally if he's not committed to club id go for Flynn or McPherson before him even now....

Play our strongest team to get results until our position is mathematically not in doubt. Nature of a club like St Mirren, our best players will leave when their contract is up. Writing was on the wall with players like McGinn, Mallan and obviously Morgan but we rightfully kept playing them. 

Edited by bazil85

28 minutes ago, God of war said:

Would think now JDH has a contract elsewhere. Do we wait till we are safe and drop him so we can build for next season? What do folk think, personally if he's not committed to club id go for Flynn or McPherson before him even now....

If true, why the secrecy . If his performances merit dropping him, we should do so.  Flynn not 100% fit.   McPherson and Erhahon have look a bit jaded in last couple of games in my opinion. This is where we miss not having reserve games. 

I think the most disappointing thing if we lost him now, is that I really hope in Brophy and Quaner we may have found the missing piece of our jigsaw.

If we lose JDH then we just take another step back as he’s been a major part of our turnaround in fortunes. At the very least I hope he sees out his contract to the end of the season. 

If true, why the secrecy . If his performances merit dropping him, we should do so.  Flynn not 100% fit.   McPherson and Erhahon have look a bit jaded in last couple of games in my opinion. This is where we miss not having reserve games. 
The "contract elsewhere" GOW refers to is probably with Vodafone.

13 minutes ago, God of war said:

Contract has been on table for weeks for him to sign..

And?

The lad will quite rightly be assessing all his options. Why would he sign on the dotted line with us before thoroughly investigating all other opportunities? That would be daft.

If he ends up signing for us because there was nothing else out there that suited him better, that’ll be just fine by me. That’s the way the pecking order works for teams like us unfortunately. 

Equally if he gets a better offer who would begrudge him taking it. 
The only thing I wouldn’t want would be him making a last minute decision to leave at the end of the window, leaving us no time to get a replacement. 
So I guess we probably ought to press him for a decision within the next week or so. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

58 minutes ago, elvis said:

I'm sure it was Ric over on PB said Goodwin says talks are going well with JDH. I think in todays PDE. 

It was me.

"Negotiations are going well" was the phrase used by JG.

JDH's agent will be trying to get the best deal for him and letting us know what is on offer.

Only a complete fool would think that our original offer would remain the same in the light of other team's offers.

1 hour ago, pod said:

I agree we shouldn't contemplate dropping a player who is so important to the way we play but I think you're being a bit harsh on MacPherson who has only had a couple of sub appearances recently.

26 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

And?

The lad will quite rightly be assessing all his options. Why would he sign on the dotted line with us before thoroughly investigating all other opportunities? That would be daft.

If he ends up signing for us because there was nothing else out there that suited him better, that’ll be just fine by me. That’s the way the pecking order works for teams like us unfortunately. 

Equally if he gets a better offer who would begrudge him taking it. 
The only thing I wouldn’t want would be him making a last minute decision to leave at the end of the window, leaving us no time to get a replacement. 
So I guess we probably ought to press him for a decision within the next week or so. 

We have him until the end of the season I believe so let’s play him as he strolls through most games. He like Ethan suffered a dip in form the last two games, but JDH has been so influential in our recent progress. 

Edited by Yflab

17 minutes ago, Yflab said:

We have him until the end of the season I believe so let’s play him as he strolls through most games. He like Ethan suffered a dip in form the last two games, but JDH has been so influential in our recent progress. 

I agree but we only have him till the end of the season if no one else wants him now. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that if a team want him now they could throw a few bob at us and he goes in this window.

Perhaps unlikely but not impossible. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

23 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I agree but we only have him till the end of the season if no one else wants him now. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that if a team want him now they could throw a few bob at us and he goes in this window.

Perhaps unlikely but not impossible. 

It's a strange situation for us. The wage cap in Leagues 1 and 2 in England appears to have done us a big favour. Cheltenham Town were desperate to sign him but "couldn't afford " him , he had extended trials at 2 Championship clubs but didn't get a deal. I'm hoping that if he doesn't get offered a PCA by a Championship club , then he may sign the deal with us that's on the table. Quaner's in the same boat as he's effectively in the shop window while playing for us , but if he can't get a deal in the Championship we might be able to get him for longer !

36 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Problem is the agent I'd say, we all know they are only out for themselves at end of day. Can genuinely imagine that JDH happy to be back in the game but getting his head filled with crap by agent.

Except it's only crap if the agent doesn't get him more money. Either with us or at another club. An agent relies on getting more cash in his charges pockets as that's what drives his income.

3 hours ago, billyg said:

It's a strange situation for us. The wage cap in Leagues 1 and 2 in England appears to have done us a big favour. Cheltenham Town were desperate to sign him but "couldn't afford " him , he had extended trials at 2 Championship clubs but didn't get a deal. I'm hoping that if he doesn't get offered a PCA by a Championship club , then he may sign the deal with us that's on the table. Quaner's in the same boat as he's effectively in the shop window while playing for us , but if he can't get a deal in the Championship we might be able to get him for longer !

I said it months ago. The wage cap is the great equaliser.

The top flight of Scottish football has always been a bigger stage than English 3rd and 4th tier FFS. But money talks...you take away that ability to pay unsustainable wages and you're going to find that most players, if given the straight choice of same money but playing for a Lincoln, Macclesfield, Cheltenham in the 3rd/4th tier or Kilmarnock, Motherwell or St. Mirren in the top flight, there's only going to be one realistic winner.

4 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I agree we shouldn't contemplate dropping a player who is so important to the way we play but I think you're being a bit harsh on MacPherson who has only had a couple of sub appearances recently.

Like to see the boy doing well and progress, but he's on the bench for a reason and not taking full advantage when he comes on. 

3 hours ago, billyg said:

They both also have the opportunity to win a major trophy this year. Look at Paul Dummett. Likely end his career as a multimillionaire but the only medal he will have is the Scottish League Cup. It’s certainly working in our favour at the moment.

Ideally we get some big transfer fees for these young lads like Hibs, Hamilton and Livingston have received in the past to tide the club over the next few years. 

As much as I'd love him to commit, and if he does great, it does us more credit for picking him up and allowing him to showcase himself than it does him whatever he chooses. It's a win win for the club should he stay or should he go imo and will hopefully help us attract others of a similar ilk.

When you consider we signed Brophy on a 3 year deal, this may be what has also been offered to JDH and it's possible that he doesn't want to tie himself to us for that length.

If that's the case we might have to bend a bit with a 1 year plus 1 year option.

All speculation of course, I'm not ITK!!!

It's up to him at the end of the day. For what it's worth I think him/agent assisted may have been thinking that JDH was the reason for our unbeaten run. Possibly after seeing us have two huge away victories with him only having a cameo in the latter, may somewhat temper expectations.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 1 year with a 1 year option which is good news for us.

Listen, it’s time we get a bit real.
If I’m JDH’s agent I’m telling him to do nothing at the moment. You’ve got an offer from Saints, worst case scenario you sign it.
Otherwise, you get better money at another club and you go there.
That’s football. Worth wringing your hands over?

Listen, it’s time we get a bit real.
If I’m JDH’s agent I’m telling him to do nothing at the moment. You’ve got an offer from Saints, worst case scenario you sign it.
Otherwise, you get better money at another club and you go there.
That’s football. Worth wringing your hands over?

Worst case scenario?

He could pick up a long term injury with no one signing him due to it.

Hopefully see you posting after every game, for eternity.