Us v Morton.

Tommy

9 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Nope.  Goodwin can't be criticised for tonight.  His whole approach was to give those players who have had little game time, a chance.  Had that been a league game he would not have made so many changes.  Come on; examine the game! 

I’ve seen some apologist statements on football forums over the years, but that is right up there with the best of them. 

Cant wait to hear Goodwin pish. Used that game as a pre season friendly. Connelly was the only sub that looked OK. Thought McAllister and Ethan were brilliant to watch. But they won't be doing that again. How dare you play well. Alnwick is a great replacement for Vaclav. Good keeper. Like Shaunghnessy as well. And Mason looks a player. But Goodwin lost us a point tonight.

Agree with everything here.

We are far too defensive. A team built on not losing with a sprinkle of hopeless forwards. Doesnt matter which players are on the pitch or what formation, we are just a bad team.

Connolly is the only player with pace and direct attitude yet he never gets a game. Gives you an idea of Goodwins defensive mind.

I got into football for the excitement attacking play can bring not to watch the equivalent of paint drying never mind the total lack of talent in that team

And it looks like nothing will change until the manager changes.........yet again

Edited by Big Yards

Sorry mate. I respectfully disagree. 
Goodwin took a team tonight that was absolutely battering the opposition and for no good reason made the most ludicrously unfathomable substitutions, leading to a change in tactics which cost us a game we could have won totally comfortably. 
The guy is out of his depth. Absolutely clueless. 
I genuinely believe we are going to get lucky this season because Accies appear to be even worse than us.
Difference is, I believe with a manager who wasn’t completely useless our players would be good enough to avoid relegation without too much trouble. 

I do not want JG to go, but I am baffled by his substitutions tonight.

We should have been out of sight by HT, so why make the changes he did, when he did ?

Connolly has to start the next game.

If you put Erwin on, don’t take off the guy who is crossing the ball.

Need to win well on Saturday to qualify. A draw, even with a win on pens, is unlikely to allow us to progress.

Ultimately very disappointed.

Just now, Big Yards said:

We are far too defensive. A team built on not losing with a sprinkle of hopeless forwards. Doesnt matter which players are on the pitch or what formation, we are just a bad team.

Connolly is the only player with pace and direct attitude yet he never gets a game. Gives you an idea of Goodwins defensive mind.

I got into football for the excitement attacking play can bring not to watch the equivalent of paint drying never mind the total lack of talent in that team

I think you’re missing the point mate. The first half was almost perfect barring more goals. I appreciate we have to take the opposition into consideration, but we couldn’t really have asked for much more. We weren’t in any way defensive.

Then we had stupid substitutions and a clear tactical shift.  All we had to do was come out second half with more of the same. 
If that’s what you mean by too defensive fair enough, but the first half was anything but.
Tonight was 100% Goodwin’s fault and if he’s got anything about him he’ll take it right on the chin..........or preferably walk. 

Think of Danny Lennons team. Built on forward play. The defence was almost an after thought. (Teale, Hasselbaink, Thompson, Goncalves, McGowan, McLean, Mcginn they trip off the tongue) Even Jack Ross's team (Mallan, Morgan, Cammy Smith, Loy, Magennis, a wing back like Stelios)

Now look at this team. Solid players at the back but wheres it getting us, nowhere is the answer because our midfield is going side ways and our forwards are hopeless. 

It's the above teams I want to get back to

3 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

We should have been out of sight by HT, so why make the changes he did, when he did ?

Need to win well on Saturday to qualify. A draw, even with a win on pens, is unlikely to allow us to progress.

How do you figure that one out? A win on penalties puts us through top of the group. Should win without if Goodie muck it up too much.

1 St. Mirren 3 1 1 0 5 2 0 1 0 2 2 3 7
2 Queen of the South 4 0 2 0 2 2 1 1 0 5 3 2 7
3 Morton 3 1 1 0 3 2 0 1 0 1 1 1 5
4 Partick Thistle 3 1 0 0 2 0 0 1 1 1 4 -1 5
5 Queen's Park 3 0 0 1 1 3 0 0 2 0 3 -5 0

A draw even with a defeat on pens probably puts us through we need 2 points to make sure.

How are you working that out? 2 points and we definitely qualify. 1 point and we should still be ok.

6 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Don’t follow you there Turra? 
Any win on Saturday and we top the group. Somehow. 

7 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think you’re missing the point mate. The first half was almost perfect barring more goals. I appreciate we have to take the opposition into consideration, but we couldn’t really have asked for much more. We weren’t in any way defensive.

Then we had stupid substitutions and a clear tactical shift.  All we had to do was come out second half with more of the same. 
If that’s what you mean by too defensive fair enough, but the first half was anything but.
Tonight was 100% Goodwin’s fault and if he’s got anything about him he’ll take it right on the chin..........or preferably walk. 

We were defensive in the 1st half. We had 2 defensive midfielders in the middle of the park with nobody able to link up with Obika who was a loan striker against a 1st division team. 

Yes we had all the ball because morton were sitting back. We didnt look like we knew how to handle having all that possession and turn it into goals. 

We had Connolly, Erwin, Dennis, Macpherson, Mcgrath all on the bench. That was a cautious starting 11 to play against a poor 1st division team at home. We should be been all put attack with pace on the wings and 2 strikers.

Goodwin's 1st thought is always defence which is where the problem lies.

Edited by Big Yards

I get that Goodwin wanted to give players a runout but he didn't change like for like. McAllister was playing as an inside forward and Ethan was playing deeper  and Goodwin had plenty of choices to replace them but brought on two number nines giving us 3 with no support players. Crazy stuff.
And Morais was absolutely dire in that first half. Surely that must be his last start in a Saints shirt. And again how does Connolly not get a game - he looks like one of the most creative players we have.
Absolutely spot on Sonny. McAllister never played 90mins on Sat so why did he have to come off. Shocking decisions

Nope.  Goodwin can't be criticised for tonight.  His whole approach was to give those players who have had little game time, a chance.  Had that been a league game he would not have made so many changes.  Come on; examine the game! 
And as I said. What about McAllister. Never played 90 mins on Sat?

1 minute ago, Big Yards said:

We were defensive in the 1st half. We had 2 defensive midfielders in the middle of the park with nobody able to link up with Obika who was a loan striker against a 1st division team. 

Yes we had all the ball because morton were sitting back. We didnt look like we knew how to handle having all that possession and turn it into goals. 

We had Connolly, Erwin, Dennis, Macpherson, Mcgrath all on the bench. That was a cautious starting 11 to play against a poor 1st division team at home. We should be been all put attack with pace on the wings and 2 strikers

I disagree mate we had 13 attempts at goal in the first half. 5 on target. 
But it doesn’t really matter. Ultimately we were pish. 

1 minute ago, santaponsasaint said:
30 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

And as I said. What about McAllister. Never played 90 mins on Sat?

McAllister had the best game in a while for us and was looking dangerous and could use the game time and confidence. To take him off was just odd. 

the new no7 looked lost too. Let’s just hope to win (even by a goal) on Saturday and atleast get some game time, establish a starting 11. 

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I disagree mate we had 13 attempts at goal in the first half. 5 on target. 
But it doesn’t really matter. Ultimately we were pish. 

I suppose it depends on what level you're willing to accept. Yes we were the better team in 1st half but instead of thinking this is great we've got 65% possession, what I could see was our weakness of not being able to create a goal being exposed even more glaringly because Morton were happy to let us have the ball and we just looked like a team of defensive minded big players who are desperate for a player with a bit of spark and creativity. The commentators even said it.

What I saw was worrying when you put it into context with the Premier League games we have coming up where the opposition will be far superior to Morton

I wasn’t a huge fan of Tommy Wright but this job looks made for him. He would definitely get more out of them and whilst I understand he’s look for a bigger job he’s unemployed and might be available. I like jim I really do but this is a terrible watch we have no idea on how to attack teams and tonight again his selection and substitutions were awful. 

Goodwin changed things at half time and that lost us all the momentum we had. I still reckon he has a fear of being ahead, and wants to hold on to any positive position, so the team sits back to try and close off space to the opposition. Just a matter of time then until we give chances away.