Scotland v Czech Republic Euros 14/6/21

shull

• 2 weeks later...

So, can we move onto this now?
What are we all thinking?
Are we all waiting with bated breath like wee rosy cheeked optimists?
Or are we collectively shiting our pants about the potential  impending abject humiliation?
Think I’m currently somewhere in the middle. 

A while back I was excited about it

Just now ? Not really thinking about it

Let’s see season end injury list I guess

We are capable of avoiding defeat in all group games, but not necessarily capable of winning them all

Hard to see where our goals will come from

I will be keeping an eye on other teams injury situation as last league games complete soon

My view is W1 D1 L1

4 points

3rd in group

Can't wait, by the time it gets to kick off I always believe we can win..............................doesn't always last for the 90 mins right enough.

Already looked into getting away early for the first game, it seems it would be better if I invent a doctors/dentist appointment, I'd rather be honest and just ask for time off, it's only a half day. 

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Can't wait, by the time it gets to kick off I always believe we can win..............................doesn't always last for the 90 mins right enough.

Already looked into getting away early for the first game, it seems it would be better if I invent a doctors/dentist appointment, I'd rather be honest and just ask for time off, it's only a half day. 

The beauty of still “WFH”. 😃

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

Let’s not forget the impact that Lewis Morgan has had at Inter Miami where he was voted Most Valuable Player. Only Covid travel restrictions stopped him from being part of the Scotland squad during qualifying.

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/st-mirren-academy-product-lewis-morgan-signs-new-inter-miami-deal/

Imagine Lewis scoring the winner against the auld enemy at Wembley and doung this celebration to their fans.

F7C1F592-40B4-4870-94FD-30E21821E067.thumb.jpeg.f9be4aded4d15962bfac0dfc96859e78.jpeg

As delightful as that would be, I fear it may be a fanciful thought.

I’d settle for both Gilmour and Gauld making the squad. Sadly I think that is almost as unlikely. 

I think the problem is the MLS is still seen as a 'diddy' league and to an extent still is a bit although having watched some games last season anyway it certainly is getting better. The reputation and financial clout behind Beckham no doubt helps them attract the better players who's experience has probably helped Morgan.

40 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Won't miss the middle two IMO. 

Agree on McBurnie, but whilst I won’t be wringing my hands in anguish at McLean’s exclusion, I think he’s always been a really handy option for us and has never let us down.

That said, if his absence leads to the inclusion of Gilmour or Gauld, I’ll be quite happy. 

6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agree on McBurnie, but whilst I won’t be wringing my hands in anguish at McLean’s exclusion, I think he’s always been a really handy option for us and has never let us down.

That said, if his absence leads to the inclusion of Gilmour or Gauld, I’ll be quite happy. 

Gilmour's made it but Gauld hasn't....I'm not sure I wouldn't have found a space for Gauld at the exclusion of Fleck.

11 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ah just saw no Gauld. Disappointing but glad that Gilmour, Turnbull and Patterson have all been included. 
I’d have had Gauld ahead of Fleck but never mind. Otherwise happy with the squad.

A226168B-C669-41AB-9B72-3A0C49CD0C90.thumb.png.ec8405296efdf1af393a5c18d6ca8597.png

Quite happy with that but would like to have seen Gauld in. Some players in there are just dead rubber IMO based on other talent/ recent performances, Christie & Taylor for example.

Will be interesting to see how they line-up. I hope Patterson gets the nod at right back with Gilmour & Turnbull given a shot as well in midfield, question is who misses out though? 

Edited by bazil85

10 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ah just saw no Gauld. Disappointing but glad that Gilmour, Turnbull and Patterson have all been included. 
I’d have had Gauld ahead of Fleck but never mind. Otherwise happy with the squad.

A226168B-C669-41AB-9B72-3A0C49CD0C90.thumb.png.ec8405296efdf1af393a5c18d6ca8597.png

Gilmour, while I think has potential, hasn't played nearly enough to merit a place, especially in front of Gauld who's played all season and chipped in with quite a few goals. 

As I said yesterday, there will always be a few "shocks" but I trust the manager. 

Has Paterson ever played in the style Scotland play? Think the daily record picked this squad

Quite happy with that but would like to have seen Gauld in. Some players in there are just dead rubber IMO based on other talent/ recent performances, Christie & Taylor for example.
Will be interesting to see how they line-up. I hope Patterson gets the nod at right back with Gilmour & Turnbull given a shot as well in midfield, question is who misses out though? 

2 minutes ago, guinness said:

Has Paterson ever played in the style Scotland play? Think the daily record picked this squad

It's a good question, I just think he's a better option than a Motherwell right back, it's a position we really struggle with. 

15 minutes ago, guinness said:

Perhaps not but from what I’ve seen of him I think he’d be even more suited to a RWB role than RB in a flat back 4 (assuming that’s what you were getting at). 
I just believe that we are in no position to ignore talent because they are “too young/too inexperience” etc. That classic old Scottish bullshit that has got us nowhere in the last 30 years. Especially when the incumbent in that position isn’t any great shakes. Throw the dice for christ’s sake. 

Also, completely disagree with your comment about the DR picking the squad. On the contrary I think I can say for the first time ever, barring Gauld for Fleck, that is exactly the squad I’d have wanted. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Perhaps not but from what I’ve seen of him I think he’d be even more suited to a RWB role than RB in a flat back 4 (assuming that’s what you were getting at). 
I just believe that we are in no position to ignore talent because they are “too young/too inexperience” etc. That classic old Scottish bullshit that has got us nowhere in the last 30 years. Especially when the incumbent in that position isn’t any great shakes. Throw the dice for christ’s sake. 

Also, completely disagree with your comment about the DR picking the squad. On the contrary I think I can say for the first time ever, barring Gauld for Fleck, that is exactly the squad I’d have wanted. 

No real arguments with your last paragraph although I think I'd have been tempted to find a spot for Griffiths at the expense of either Christie or Forrest as attacking options....he's the closest we've got to a natural finisher and to have him to throw on for the last 20 minutes if we're chasing a game would imo have been a worthwhile gamble.

28 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Gilmour, while I think has potential, hasn't played nearly enough to merit a place, especially in front of Gauld who's played all season and chipped in with quite a few goals. 

As I said yesterday, there will always be a few "shocks" but I trust the manager. 

I think to some extent you have to factor in who the respective players are playing for. With respect to Gauld, he’s playing for relegation fodder in the Portuguese League whereas as Gilmour plays for one of the top teams in the EPL. Purely hypothetical, but I’d hazard a guess that Gilmour would star for Farense too. 
So unless you are suggesting he might be in some way unfit to play (which I completely wouldn’t agree with), then my view is firmly if he’s good enough, get him in. International fitba is littered with players who play for big clubs that often don’t get a lot of game time. Doesn’t stop them starring for their country. 
But as I’ve already said, I’m with you on Gauld, I’d have had him in too. 

1 hour ago, WeeBud said:

No real arguments with your last paragraph although I think I'd have been tempted to find a spot for Griffiths at the expense of either Christie or Forrest as attacking options....he's the closest we've got to a natural finisher and to have him to throw on for the last 20 minutes if we're chasing a game would imo have been a worthwhile gamble.

Completely agree, worth the risk he brings a wee bit of the magic he's capable of. Christie for example has offered very little this season at club level as well. 

3 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Completely agree, worth the risk he brings a wee bit of the magic he's capable of. Christie for example has offered very little this season at club level as well. 

Christie, I suppose, has at least been fit and I thought he looked better for Scotland than he did for Celtic this season. It's an odd one for me as it's any two of Griffiths, Christie or Forrest and there all different types of players.......Griffiths and one other for me but not too fussed which.