Scotland v Czech Republic Euros 14/6/21

shull

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Wonder why we're based in Middlesbrough rather than in Scotland?

Surely there's facilities sufficient for us closer to home? 

We are based there because countries who qualified before us snapped up the 2 international class facilities we have in Scotland

Unfortunately they changed their minds…………… 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/57305425.amp

1 minute ago, HSS said:

We are based there because countries who qualified before us snapped up the 2 international class facilities we have in Scotland

Cheers, I'd just read that. 👍

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Cheers, I'd just read that. 👍

Probably doesn’t do any harm to be away from the immediate glare of the Scottish media 

On 6/10/2021 at 6:15 AM, faraway saint said:

My apologies, I was misinformed and never checked it out.

It seems it's a UEFA decision.

Yet Wembley are still offering hospitality packages and I can't find anything to support similar conditions for the general football supporters. 

Just seen an item on cricket :thumbsdown which had 18,000 supporters in, obvious signs of alcohol being served yet we can't buy a fecking burger.

Shocking, especially with supporters being in the ground for up to 3 hours before kick off. 

Just seen an item on cricket :thumbsdown which had 18,000 supporters in, obvious signs of alcohol being served yet we can't buy a fecking burger.
Shocking, especially with supporters being in the ground for up to 3 hours before kick off. 

At Headingley they’ve put the concession stalls outside and not opened the ones in the stands to stop gathering in enclosed spaces to negate the need to close completely

Not heard much from @Prague Buddie, thought he'd have been getting ready to start with a victory for the Czechs on Monday? :rolleyes:

I don't want to tempt fate too much but I'm feeling quite confident we can progress from this group.

Clarke, and I know he's not everybody's cup of tea, has instilled a self belief that's been missing for many years and I think that's a massive plus for us. 

We've also scored 10 goals in the last 5 games so we're not firing blanks as much as people think.

Not heard much from @Prague Buddie, thought he'd have been getting ready to start with a victory for the Czechs on Monday? :rolleyes:

I don't want to tempt fate too much but I'm feeling quite confident we can progress from this group.

Clarke, and I know he's not everybody's cup of tea, has instilled a self belief that's been missing for many years and I think that's a massive plus for us. 

We've also scored 10 goals in the last 5 games so we're not firing blanks as much as people think.

Agreed.

When we first qualified I was very much of the “please God just don’t let us get humiliated” opinion.

However, I am much more confident now. I think our top players appear to be on excellent form, our fair to middling players seem to be at the top of their game and I’m particularly pleased with the injection of youth into the squad as a potential way to change things up if required. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agreed.

When we first qualified I was very much of the “please God just don’t let us get humiliated” opinion.

However, I am much more confident now. I think our top players appear to be on excellent form, our fair to middling players seem to be at the top of their game and I’m particularly pleased with the injection of youth into the squad as a potential way to change things up if required. 

We'll not be finishing bottom of this group, I'm pretty sure of that.

Don't expect us to lose any of these games.

A win and 2 draws would be my prediction but quite honestly, we have a very good chance of winning all of these games with two of them being at home and fans being allowed in. The England game is a bit more tricky to call but I expect a draw there at least.

There's so much excitement about qualifying but this could be a very special tournament for us. We have quality all over the pitch and in some depth too.

We absolutely must start with Gilmour instead of McGregor IMO.

Edited by oaksoft

48 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We'll not be finishing bottom of this group, I'm pretty sure of that.

Don't expect us to lose any of these games.

A win and 2 draws would be my prediction but quite honestly, we have a very good chance of winning all of these games with two of them being at home and fans being allowed in. The England game is a bit more tricky to call but I expect a draw there at least.

There's so much excitement about qualifying but this could be a very special tournament for us. We have quality all over the pitch and in some depth too.

We absolutely must start with Gilmour instead of McGregor IMO.

We won't. 

17 minutes ago, Mykey said:

I agree, I'd love to see Gilmour start, but I doubt he will.

The sad thing is if he was head to head with virtually any one of our other first choice midfielders I’d probably understand him not starting.

However, (and I don’t want to slag him off as he’s been good in the past) McGregor has been poor and offered very little for quite some time now, be it for Scotland or for Celtic.  I’d hate to think that Gilmour remained unselected due to either a misplaced sense of duty or a lack of adventure on the part of Steve Clarke. 

Gilmour is the only point of selection that I feel strongly about. I’ll be pretty relaxed about whoever starts in all other positions. I don’t really mind which two of the remaining centre backs start with Tierney in the back 3 and although I’d love Patterson to start ahead of O’Donnell, I don’t think he will and I’ll be perfectly happy with that. 

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Gilmour is the only point of selection that I feel strongly about. I’ll be pretty relaxed about whoever starts in all other positions. I don’t really mind which two of the remaining centre backs start with Tierney in the back 3 and although I’d love Patterson to start ahead of O’Donnell, I don’t think he will and I’ll be perfectly happy with that. 

I'd probably agree but, like Gilmour, too risky as they have not been tested at international level.

They are certainly two for the future, a nice position to be in as it wasn't that long ago we could hardly field a half decent starting 11 never mind having strong options on the bench.

Clarke has done a great job, I questioned his decision to leave Kilmarnock as I felt the only way was down, got that wrong as well. :wink:

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'd probably agree but, like Gilmour, too risky as they have not been tested at international level.

They are certainly two for the future, a nice position to be in as it wasn't that long ago we could hardly field a half decent starting 11 never mind having strong options on the bench.

Clarke has done a great job, I questioned his decision to leave Kilmarnock as I felt the only way was down, got that wrong as well. :wink:

Don’t let Baz hear you say that 😁

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Very strong message to the racist scum that are among our society. :thumbs2

Weed them out and ban them from all sporting events for starters.

Disgraceful that the team should have to go against their own beliefs on how to demonstrate their own personal hatred of racism and although I have my own views on “taking the knee”, I think under the circumstances this is the correct decision. 

ETA - As long as we start booting the Nigel bassas up in the air as soon as the whistle blows 🤣

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Had to laugh last night. Watched the MOTD Euros preview programme. I normally despise the BBC and their obvious bias towards England, but I was pleasantly surprised that in this programme they really did give equal time to England, Scotland and Wales as well as a couple of wee segments on some of the other fancied countries. Scotland even had top billing. 
Just as I was starting to chastise myself for jumping to conclusions, towards the end of the programme they did a wee segment showing one moment from all the Euros since 1984. I think I’m right in saying that for every Euros the clip was of one of the goals from each of the final matches. Except Euro 96 where they showed Gazza’s goal against us.
Firmly back to being cunts!! 🤣

20 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Raring to go for Monday. I will be watching with 12 or so Czech pals/colleagues, who are all well informed by me that we are going to do them. I'll probably have to lay-low for a while if we lose. 

The Czechs have a bit of a ropey defence just now, which they seem to be blaming on the Kudela ban. Strange considering he is a 34yo with 9 caps. 

As far as their top players are concerned, that would be Soucek and Coufal from West Ham Kral from S. Moscow, Schick from Leverkusen, Darida from Hertha Berlin. Not bad level of player, but when you compare them to our top guys (McTominay, Tierney, Robertson, Adams, Gilmour, McGinn) , I d say ours are better players, definitely playing for bigger clubs. 

There is no doubt the Czechs are a tidy team, but I really think we'll win this. 

4 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

Raring to go for Monday. I will be watching with 12 or so Czech pals/colleagues, who are all well informed by me that we are going to do them. I'll probably have to lay-low for a while if we lose. 

The Czechs have a bit of a ropey defence just now, which they seem to be blaming on the Kudela ban. Strange considering he is a 34yo with 9 caps. 

As far as their top players are concerned, that would be Soucek and Coufal from West Ham Kral from S. Moscow, Schick from Leverkusen, Darida from Hertha Berlin. Not bad level of player, but when you compare them to our top guys (McTominay, Tierney, Robertson, Adams, Gilmour, McGinn) , I d say ours are better players, definitely playing for bigger clubs. 

There is no doubt the Czechs are a tidy team, but I really think we'll win this. 

You've changed your tune, welcome back.  :P

The Czechs were decimated in both matches against us. 

First game their entire team. 

Second game 6 of their best players. 

They would have beaten us home and away, if it weren't for that. 

A much better side who are light years ahead of us.