St Mirren v Aberdeen League Cup Last 16

munoz

Anyone else thinking we look better with Foley at CB than Shaunessey ? Playing at the back suits Foley much better as he gets older. His strength is reading the game and I feel his engine isn't there for the midfield role anymore. No worse than Joe defensive or in the air and not prone to the rash challenge like Joe.

Big Joe is more of a threat at set pieces. If he cuts out the silly red cards he's first pick CH in my eyes. Agree Foley has filled in superbly and a good option to have. Also agree he's been wanting in midfield this year. Still a good squad player.

The midfield should be built around Cammy and Ethan with Connolly/Durmus/McGrath providing width.

42 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Do yourselves all a favour and get that utter Kunt that calls himself God Of War on ignore. I see a few quoting him tonight and he's posting about gangsters and threats on the night of our best win for yonks. Utterly bizarre individual who clearly has some sort of axe to grind with the club the vast majority of us love.

You obviously love being a keyboard gangster as well...

5 minutes ago, scam75 said:

Big Joe is more of a threat at set pieces. If he cuts out the silly red cards he's first pick CH in my eyes. Agree Foley has filled in superbly and a good option to have. Also agree he's been wanting in midfield this year. Still a good squad player.

The midfield should be built around Cammy and Ethan with Connolly/Durmus/McGrath providing width.

No Doyle-Hayes then? He is the sole reason that the midfield is playing as more of a unit, everything revolves around him , and he'll be away to a bigger club at the end of the season !

No Doyle-Hayes then? He is the sole reason that the midfield is playing as more of a unit, everything revolves around him , and he'll be away to a bigger club at the end of the season !

Not necessarily.

Not beyond the realms of fantasy that he’ll extend with us.

(With a clause to leave if an acceptable exit fee is met)

Not necessarily.

Not beyond the realms of fantasy that he’ll extend with us.

(With a clause to leave if an acceptable exit fee is met)

Yes glaring omission. He must play. I made a cnut of that [emoji1787]

What a difference in saints tonight. They passed it so well and from the start were  the better side. They’ll say  Aberdeen had injuries but they have a huge squad and we also had three out . Remember we lost up there narrowly when we couldn’t fill the bench but nobody mentioned this. They still had a good side out and we now can look forward with the belief that we can be a solid mid table team 

Edited by norrie82

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

We look so much better with 4 at the back, structure works for our players and getting more out of McGra(th) and Connolly.

Delighted this evening! 

If only we could get the same out of our center forwards we would be in a good place.

We are just not scoring enough goals. Its the only part of the team that its just not happening.

Thought Durmus and Connelly both did the business tonight but we just don't look a threat down the center.

Edited by lenziebud

2 hours ago, billyg said:

You are unfortunately correct.

His contribution already has marked him out in the 'too good for this level' bracket. Especially as he's still a youngster with a hell of a lot of promise and not a talented journeyman in the mould of a Hammill.

I'd love us to announce a 2 year extension. He's the perfect sort of player we should be aiming to bring in regularly.

I’ll just quote myself from before last week’s match....

On 11/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, antrin said:

It reads like a pretty good team - I like those players - AND there are some exciting options - like McP and McA to bring on.

And I can’t disagree after yesterday’s fine performance.  :)

Great team performance but two special mentions -

Ilkay: has not been around the squad for a while due to Covid, self isolating and not training. But he certainly took his chance when he got it (unlike most players) and gave an excellent performance like some of his performances last season before it was cut. Great display in the circumstances.

Cammy: I really like Cammy and he was becoming the first name on the team sheet at the end of last season but he has not started much this season due to the competition from the sheer volume of midfielders and his sometimes lacklustre performances when picked. In particular he was rank rotten against Quees Park the other week. But he took this chance when he got it and put in a really good display in midfield. Cammy is forward thinking and we often have too many side and back passing but for Cammy he always wants the ball forward.

These two guys demonstrated what a fringe player should be doing when they get a chance - give the manager a selection problem instead of just being a fill-in from the bench. Maybe they will encourage others who are not getting a regular start that when you get the chance then do not got through the motions but bust a gut to show you deserve to be in the team.

Also honourable mentions to Donnelly who has taken his chance and to Junior who impressed in his short spell on the pitch.

Edited by Sonny

22 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Great team performance but two special mentions -

Ilkay: has not been around the squad for a while due to Covid, self isolating and not training. But he certainly took his chance when he got it (unlike most players) and gave an excellent performance like some of his performances last season before it was cut. Great display in the circumstances.

Cammy: I really like Cammy and he was becoming the first name on the team sheet at the end of last season but he has not started much this season due to the competition from the sheer volume of midfielders and his sometimes lacklustre performances when picked. In particular he was rank rotten against Quees Park the other week. But he took this chance when he got it and put in a really good display in midfield. Cammy is forward thinking and we often have too many side and back passing but for Cammy he always wants the ball forward.

These two guys demonstrated what a fringe player should be doing when they get a chance - give the manager a selection problem instead of just being a fill-in from the bench. Maybe they will encourage others who are not getting a regular start that when you get the chance then do not got through the motions but bust a gut to show you deserve to be in the team.

Also honourable mentions to Donnelly who has taken his chance and to Junior who impressed in his short spell on the pitch.

Agree on Durmus, but not do sure about MacPherson, I thought he had a poor second half and was a wee bit lucky not to be sent off in all honesty, with a deliberate handball and a stupid lunge both after he'd been booked.

Also, that bit where Obika gave him, an admittedly very poor, pass and he stood there doing the hand on the hips routine instead of just getting after the f**king ball was serious "Biggest dickhead at the fives game" vibes.

All in all though these are minor complaints after a great team performance and an excellent result.