Pretentious? Moi???

beyond our ken

TV chef Nigella tells us that we've been making toast in the wrong way, "twice buttered" is the new way

I switched on Nigel Slater today, making apple crumble.  " like to keep it rough and basic" wittered Nige,  Maybe he was about to discuss his lovemaking preferrences, i thought, before he proffered that adding Madeira, or Marsala to the apples would enhance the flavour.  "Apples and cheese are a match made in heaven" he droned, He nearly had me back in the room with that, "a nice chunk of cheddar on the side would be lovely" i thought.  i was ready to see where this was going before the camera cut to Nige heading down the garden to his cheese store -Nigel has a cheese store) for a big chunk of Parmiggiano Reggiano.  "I'm expecting pudding (maybe another sexual euphemism, you never know)  but it reminds me of an old-fashioned ploughmans lunch", he dribbled whilst neatly sidestepping the fact that there is nothing that is really old-fashioned about a ploughmans.

a former colleague once claimed that a menu in a Gastropub he visited offered "vinegar 3 ways", which turned out to be fish, chips and mushies in separate (tiny) vessels.

"Pseuds" was the word that Private Eye used to use, maybe it's time to bring that back.

Edited by beyond our ken

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

"Pseuds" was the word that Private Eye used to use, maybe it's time to bring that back.

Eh...?

It still has its Pseuds Corner with quotes clamouring to get in.

Tonight I shall be cooking...

baked Red Edward  potatoes...

chunks of butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, some leek and marrow all roasted in Olive Oil.. with shaved garlic and pepper and perhaps a sprinkle or two of McLellands Vintage Cheddar...  (I don't have a cheese store.  :(  )

Cavallo Nero and/or orange and red Chard...

(all my own Veggies, btw)

with either Fried chicken from the carcass remains of last night's buttered roast

OR 

a mass-produced Waitrose reduced due to sell-by date Steak pie with red wine sauce.  

Pretentious, moi?

Naw, but now I'm even more peckish and starvin'.....!  :o

3 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Tomorrow I may have deep fried cod loin coated in a real ale tempura, with thrice fried pomme frite and a petit pois jus, or I may just go to the chippy!

Such a temptingly easy thought  for me also this evening - as I have a voucher for a couple of cheap cod and chips - only useable on Mon Tue or Thu.

7 minutes ago, Yflab said:

What about the Steak pie ya Waitrose shopping Wanker? Is that destined for the dug or the freezer?

You are all making me hungry.....

Ramorra - it had better be

It's freezin, doon here.  Bit of a shock to the system.  So a can of baked beans (low salt and sugar, of course) has been cracked open and papped intae the pot in order to embellish the cod n chips, that I'll go to fetch in a minute or two..

A tray has been set with salt pepper vinegar red sauce...

Nigel Slater will be birlin with envy.  :)

Ramorra - it had better be
It's freezin, doon here.  Bit of a shock to the system.  So a can of baked beans (low salt and sugar, of course) has been cracked open and papped intae the pot in order to embellish the cod n chips, that I'll go to fetch in a minute or two..
A tray has been set with salt pepper vinegar red sauce...
Nigel Slater will be birlin with envy.  [emoji4]
Beans with fish. That to me sounds even worse than beans with a cooked breakfast.

F'in weirdo. [emoji23]