Sign in to follow this  
smcc

Heading the ball

Over the past few years discussions about heading the ball have centred on the effects on the brain. One thing that has always interested me is why so many players close their eyes when heading the ball. There is a piece in today's Herald about Ryan Jack accompanied by a picture of him rising to head the ball against Serbia, with his eyes screwed tight shut. When I was a young boy(a very long time ago) I was always taught to keep my eye on the ball when heading it.

Perhaps this explains the many misdirected headers prevalent in today's football.

1 minute ago, smcc said:

Over the past few years discussions about heading the ball have centred on the effects on the brain. One thing that has always interested me is why so many players close their eyes when heading the ball. There is a piece in today's Herald about Ryan Jack accompanied by a picture of him rising to head the ball against Serbia, with his eyes screwed tight shut. When I was a young boy(a very long time ago) I was always taught to keep my eye on the ball when heading it.

Perhaps this explains the many misdirected headers prevalent in today's football.

Agree 100%.

The "art" of heading the ball has dwindled over the years I'm surprised they are trying to say they should stop practising in training as I don't think it's a big part of the training routine. 

There's been many "great" headers over the years, Drogba in the Champions league final a few years ago was a corker. (I hope he didn't have his eyes shut)