St Mirren v Sevco League Cup Quarter Final 16/12/20

shull

Its simple for me, we get a chance we have to take it...……….. whatever we think of Sevco, they are a very good side and danger is everywhere but watched Utd game yesterday and it sure wasn't a walkover...

My main concern is that our pitch is a bowling green , maybe if we could get a few planes to land on it, it would enhance our chances...……..

Go with my heart here ..............2-1 Saints ……………

I have seen our best ever side never getting through in cup ties and this when Rangers were a poor side.So Sevco the now who are easily the best side in the country i cannot see but an easy victory for them. History is against us and nearly 100 years since we beat them in a knockout cup tie. it would go down as one of our greatest ever results

Rangers rely heavily on overlapping full backs who play as wingers. Most teams sit deep and wait for the onslaught. If we stick to the recent formation and play with 2 wingers to keep their full backs deeper we give ourselves a chance. Reckon they will underestimate us and if Utd, who I reckon are inferior to us, can keep it to a 1 goal defeat then I am quietly optimistic.

We'll win if it goes to penalties anyway :)

1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:

I have seen our best ever side never getting through in cup ties and this when Rangers were a poor side.So Sevco the now who are easily the best side in the country i cannot see but an easy victory for them. History is against us and nearly 100 years since we beat them in a knockout cup tie. it would go down as one of our greatest ever results

Yes, but the problem with this is that we've also just witnessed a Scotland team containing Motherwell and Aberdeen defenders qualify for Euro 2020 when previous squads containing a wealth of talent never got close. Sport doesn't work on the principle of "we haven't beaten them for X years so we have no chance".

It's a one-off match. At our ground. When we have a full squad stuffed with confidence. A bit of belief and a slice of luck and there's absolutely no reason to think we can't win this on Wednesday.

If we had a manager who installed belief in the players we may have a chance, fact is the players will go out beaten before they start...at Ibrox earlier in season players were quivering wrecks.

We have a setup that, if we play well, is capable of nullifying the rangers style. It will be difficult but it is possible to stop their wingbacks staying high. I also think, along with Tait and Fraser, Connelly has the pace to make them have second thoughts about going gung ho. I suppose they have to lose sometime so why not to another form team.

I said yesterday before Utd game that I thought we would score first on Wednesday but probably lose 2-1 the United game panned out almost like I think Wednesdays will but the fact they had such a tougher game than most games recently means Gerrard and them won't take us lightly which another easy victory v United & I thought their was a small chance the players might.

If you listen to Gerrard he and his backroom team they are very thorough on their opponents coming up and will know all about our decent run and less negative approach to matches I think they will try to kill us off early doors.

I think we should just go toe to toe with them if it works great if not at least we tried.

Their defence has a great record this season but apart from Benfica haven't saw them under pressure.

Rangers rely heavily on overlapping full backs who play as wingers. Most teams sit deep and wait for the onslaught. If we stick to the recent formation and play with 2 wingers to keep their full backs deeper we give ourselves a chance. Reckon they will underestimate us and if Utd, who I reckon are inferior to us, can keep it to a 1 goal defeat then I am quietly optimistic.

We'll win if it goes to penalties anyway default_smile.png

47 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

We have a setup that, if we play well, is capable of nullifying the rangers style. It will be difficult but it is possible to stop their wingbacks staying high. I also think, along with Tait and Fraser, Connelly has the pace to make them have second thoughts about going gung ho. I suppose they have to lose sometime so why not to another form team.

:lol::lol:

15 minutes ago, billyg said:

Not holding much hope of progressing , but Rangers will probably field a few fringe players , like McLaughlin , Itten , Hadji , Bassey etc Might not make any difference , but if we get in about them early doors , who knows ?

I'm not convinced they will Billy. Gerrard likes continuity, if possible, not making wholesale changes on a regular basis.

Also our short run of form will, IMO, made him wary, he'll not want to break their run. 

I do agree we should get in about them, as we have against Aberdeen. 

It's a one off game, no point is sitting in, they will win the game at  a canter. 

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

:lol::lol:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not convinced they will Billy. Gerrard likes continuity, if possible, not making wholesale changes on a regular basis.

Also our short run of form will, IMO, made him wary, he'll not want to break their run. 

I do agree we should get in about them, as we have against Aberdeen. 

It's a one off game, no point is sitting in, they will win the game at  a canter. 

Oh what a fool you are.

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Only YOU would see that your hilarious post was the same as my clear SHORT run of form.

Leave the football to football people, you stick to what your good at........................what is that? 🤡

This is actually the biggest piece of irony ever in the history of this planet. :lol:

5 hours ago, billyg said:

Not holding much hope of progressing , but Rangers will probably field a few fringe players , like McLaughlin , Itten , Hadji , Bassey etc Might not make any difference , but if we get in about them early doors , who knows ?

Itten seems to be a quality player, imho.

St Mirren’s biggest hurdle for this game will be making JG actually believe there’s a snawbaw’s chance of beating Sevco.

He’s always shown the new club far too much respect, had the team hide, fail to attack and ultimately also fail in defence.

The ref will be little help, also.

yet I’m optimistic.  :)

8 hours ago, God of war said:

If we had a manager who installed belief in the players we may have a chance, fact is the players will go out beaten before they start...at Ibrox earlier in season players were quivering wrecks.

We do have a manager that has instilled belief and has admitted earlier in the season he got it wrong and chose wrong formations and tactics based on available players. And we are now showing up as a very capable team.

I think we got every chance of turning them over BUT as I'm on backshift at work I'm keeping my phone switched off so my rangers supporting mate at work can't pester me [emoji1787]
Surely if you are both at work he can pester you face to face[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]