The Vaccine

shull

I'm hopeful that we can get away in October.
That has to be a complete Covid free holiday, no fecking masks etc.
If that's not possible, then we won't be going anywhere, and I'll actually cry. 
Good luck with that one.
I've just booked a week in Ayr for September and am refusing to get too confident about actually going.

Interestingly, we have holidayed in the same place at least twice a year for five years.

Now, because more people are staying local, the price was up by 20%.

Don't blame the resort one bit... Supply and demand and they have lost hundreds of thousands in lost revenue over the last year.

Welcome to the new normal. [emoji26]

That's me had my second Pfizer vaccination.

Straight in to the room... No wait whatsoever! No queuing.

Sat blethering to the nurse for 10 minutes before the injection and another 10 minutes afterwards... so relaxed and civilized!

Even got parked right away.

[emoji846][emoji846][emoji846][emoji41]

7 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Good luck with that one.
I've just booked a week in Ayr for September and am refusing to get too confident about actually going.

Interestingly, we have holidayed in the same place at least twice a year for five years.

Don't blame the resort one bit... Supply and demand and they have lost hundreds of thousands in lost revenue over the last year.

Welcome to the new normal. emoji26.png

What makes you think a week in Ayr will be an issue by September?

From 26th April tourist accommodation to reopen.

We've booked a weekend away close to Pitlochry in May, a week in Kenmore in July and a week in Aviemore in August.

I'm not seeing any of them in any danger.

As for October, well, there's already preparations being made for groups of countries to be categorised in a traffic light system. 

Obviously this all depends on continuing decreases in numbers but with the vaccine battering ahead I see little reason not to see things getting back to "Close to normal" by the Autumn. 

Edited by faraway saint

7 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Good luck with that one.

Welcome to the new normal. emoji26.png

I'll be waiting for you - be afraid, be very afraid...

The BBC continue to try to make more people scared, the new Indian variant.

There's be a few other variants appear over the last few months and the numbers continue to drop.

A doctor explained that the vaccines can, as the flu vaccine is, be "tweaked" to deal with any changes in the virus.

BBC, gies piece.  :thumbsdown

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I received a text tonight from NHSbooster asking me to go for my booster, despite being boosted some time ago.
Maybe I should get another? 
I could use the one that was assigned for [mention=1981]Hendo[/mention] [emoji38]
I'm due my next booster in 6 weeks, did think they were a wee bit early yesterday with the reminder. [emoji1787]

dc0a84c589e3564ace024f4976d02274.jpg

33 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I received a text tonight from NHSbooster asking me to go for my booster, despite being boosted some time ago.

I could use the one that was assigned for @Hendo :lol:

I'd rather mine went to someone in a country who haven't been fully vaccinated yet, as recommended by the WHO.

I could use the one that was assigned for [mention=1981]Hendo[/mention] [emoji38]
I'm due my next booster in 6 weeks, did think they were a wee bit early yesterday with the reminder. [emoji1787]

dc0a84c589e3564ace024f4976d02274.jpg

My other half has had two texts but when she contacts them they say it's a mistake

Just out of interest, given the effectiveness of the vaccine wanes over time, and predictions are that there could be further booster doses in the future, would those who have already been boosted continue to get this if advised to do so? Is there a cut off where you would say that's enough?

I am double vaccinated, and was one of the first to get done as I work in health and social care. Second dose was in early May. However, I have not got the booster, mainly because the concept of "this didn't work very well, please take some more and it'll work better this time" seemed strange to me. I also felt it unfair on those in other parts of the world who hadn't received any vaccines yet, and the WHO appear to agree with me and think mass booster programmes are a mistake and boosters should only be given to those clinically vulnerable.

I know there is a precedent - the flu jab is given every year - but only to those vulnerable, not to everyone. However, given the UK government has bought 7 doses per person in this country, I suspect regular mass booster programmes is the way they'll go. This investment will need protected. I see even on the NHS England website they are urging people to get their "life saving booster jab" - quite the claim.

So, how many will people stop at? 3? 4? 5? Or will you keep going until you are a human pin cushion? 

I was aware, when getting my Astra Zeneca jags that it wasn’t as potent v Covid, as Pfizer and others, yet I went ahead, knowing it was FAR better than nothing: for me and society at large.

when younger, I was aware - as were parents at the time - that many diseases that killed and maimed kids, were now being wiped out by vaccinations.  My brother and I had everything going - FREE from our wonderful NHS.

The current annual flu jag is always acknowledged to “maybe” not be the precise jag to curb each year’s wave of flu infection, yet it is dispensed, and taken up by grateful, intelligent recipients who have all, probably, suffered a flu in their younger years.  You don’t need to be vulnerable, cause we ALL are…  And the government only offers it free to the older generations, as there is a mitigation of costs….

there is no cut-off for covid jags, yet.

An analogy: I guess that the hard-of-thinking would simply keep running between speeding trains instead of using the slightly safer railway bridges.

We’re still finessing our already amazingly swift response to this new threat to humanity.  Just like we have done with polio, Ebola, aids etc….

There is no magic answer.

Here’s yet another bloody scientist who wants to change his mind just because he has seen new data and experienced changing circumstances and environments!   Sigh!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/28/omicron-is-not-the-same-disease-as-earlier-covid-waves-says-uk-scientist

whatever has happened to good, old-fashioned prophets of doom who were resolutely intractable?

:rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, antrin said:

Here’s yet another bloody scientist who wants to change his mind just because he has seen new data and experienced changing circumstances and environments!   Sigh!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/28/omicron-is-not-the-same-disease-as-earlier-covid-waves-says-uk-scientist

whatever has happened to good, old-fashioned prophets of doom who were resolutely intractable?

:rolleyes:

They are all on SAGE.

27 minutes ago, antrin said:

I was aware, when getting my Astra Zeneca jags that it wasn’t as potent v Covid, as Pfizer and others, yet I went ahead, knowing it was FAR better than nothing: for me and society at large.

when younger, I was aware - as were parents at the time - that many diseases that killed and maimed kids, were now being wiped out by vaccinations.  My brother and I had everything going - FREE from our wonderful NHS.

The current annual flu jag is always acknowledged to “maybe” not be the precise jag to curb each year’s wave of flu infection, yet it is dispensed, and taken up by grateful, intelligent recipients who have all, probably, suffered a flu in their younger years.  You don’t need to be vulnerable, cause we ALL are…  And the government only offers it free to the older generations, as there is a mitigation of costs….

there is no cut-off for covid jags, yet.

An analogy: I guess that the hard-of-thinking would simply keep running between speeding trains instead of using the slightly safer railway bridges.

We’re still finessing our already amazingly swift response to this new threat to humanity.  Just like we have done with polio, Ebola, aids etc….

There is no magic answer.

The difference between previous vaccinations and this one is that other vaccinations were much more effective.

The MMR has a 99% success rate of stopping infections of measles and rubella, and 88% of stopping infections of mumps. And you only need to get it once, not every three months, fancy that.

21 minutes ago, Hendo said:

The difference between previous vaccinations and this one is that other vaccinations were much more effective.

The MMR has a 99% success rate of stopping infections of measles and rubella, and 88% of stopping infections of mumps. And you only need to get it once, not every three months, fancy that.

MMR was not initially a success, it took years of tweaking before it was seen as a success in the late 60's. 

A decent explanation is below.

Quite why you expect the current vaccinations to be as successful is beyond me, it was put together quickly to have an immediate effect, ongoing development will, more than likely, improve the current success rate.

https://www.history.com/news/mumps-vaccine-world-war-ii

And it overshadows the fact that during the 1940s and 1950s, researchers chasing vaccines for polio and measles made incremental breakthroughs in lab techniques that ultimately made swift development of the 1960s Mumpsvax possible.

Edited by faraway saint