Motherwell v St Mirren 12/12/20

faraway saint

Apart from the goal.
The only goal of the game.

Love Obika, but interested as to why we switched him out for Erwin after an hour today.

Didn’t watch the match, but surprised at this change - the only thing that made sense to me was from what I read, we had plenty great crosses into the box and Jon was nowhere near them and JG thought Erwin might. Thoughts ?

1 minute ago, turrabuddie said:

Love Obika, but interested as to why we switched him out for Erwin after an hour today.

Didn’t watch the match, but surprised at this change - the only thing that made sense to me was from what I read, we had plenty great crosses into the box and Jon was nowhere near them and JG thought Erwin might. Thoughts ?

In all honesty, his movement wasn't great at all today. Was really frustrating to watch him sort of milling about rather than create space for himself. Can only guess that he's still not at 100% as he was apparently one of the players who had Covid.

Great stuff , really solid performance again. Potentially , our choice of talent in midfield is the best we've had in many a year. Love seeing us play through JDH , we haven't had that movement and passing since John McGinn. We need to get him tied down or he'll be away soon to the likes of Aberdeen !

Amazing to think Flynn can’t get a start even though he’s back fit.
Can’t believe I’d have been asking that question a couple of months ago.

Would Magennis get a start in this squad ?

1 minute ago, turrabuddie said:

Possibly Obika has a slightly better scoring rate but his overall contribution to the team is poor.

He can't hold up the play, hastle or even stay on his feet.

Fine 3 points. Played very well in the first half. Less well in second half and hanging on a bit towards the end.
How can Durmus play so well for 45 minutes, then disappear from the game in the second half?
And can't understand why JG persists with Erwin. Doesn't seem to offer anything when he comes on.

Was it us playing less well or them playing better ?
Got to think Robinson read them the riot act at HT, and perhaps mentally we dropped a bit deeper.

8 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Obika is our only option right now up front. 

I reckon Goodwin persists in playing Erwin as a swap for him is because he carries a physical presence, but for me its really not working.  I'd much rather see the Morias come on for Obika,  and he's not been that effectual. 

Bottom line is , we need to sign a decent striker in the forthcoming transfer window. 

Good For Brian Rice and the lift they got from coming off the bottom of the table - they are back on the foot bar 1 point and 1 goal of goal difference !
WELL done to us - decent win - wish we could score more than 1 BUT its 3 really decent points today. 
Lets build on this and leapfrog the Fakes . . .[emoji460]:guinness

Three very very good points.

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In all honesty, his movement wasn't great at all today. Was really frustrating to watch him sort of milling about rather than create space for himself. Can only guess that he's still not at 100% as he was apparently one of the players who had Covid.

🤣🤣🤣good excuse for him just being pish😅😅😅

We were terrific in the first half our passing was a delight to watch in the second half we were forced to defend more but have to say I thought we were comfortable.Our midfield is really good also good options in midfield on the bench.I have a hunch we will try to improve the striking dept in the window but guess that will be difficult.COYS.

1 hour ago, pondsman said:

Fine 3 points. Played very well in the first half. Less well in second half and hanging on a bit towards the end.

How can Durmus play so well for 45 minutes, then disappear from the game in the second half?

And can't understand why JG persists with Erwin. Doesn't seem to offer anything when he comes on.

Good performance and three great results today. As for the underlined statement. Erwin's first touch was a shot which was deflected for a corner. He held the ball up far better than Obika too.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

So, the previous umpteen games don't count, only the last 3? :lol:

Early, but encouraging, days. 

The previous umpteen games were when we were in the middle of our Covid problems - no goalies, players missing, training cancelled, self isolation and games off. It is no surprise, given what was going on, our form was poor.