Motherwell v St Mirren 12/12/20

faraway saint

3 hours ago, God of war said:

Keyboard hardman along with his boyfriend Munoz,  Hendo, Yfud, hard as feck over a keyboard..watch urself Shull, the clique feel threatened!!!

The only person who is consistently aggressive on here is yourself.

You did it as gstretch, you did it as ice-tears and you're still doing it.

As I've said before, there is absolutely no danger that you conduct yourself towards other supporters at matches (when we could go) in the way you do on here as you'd have found a lot of trouble very quickly, so it's actually you who's playing the keyboard hard man. 

12 hours ago, Hendo said:

I think you've cracked it, god of war is none other than Alan Gow, back here to troll the Saints fan forum because he was unhappy about the abuse he got for being lazy and pish. 

Gow mostly played in the reserves, and actually he was superb for them. Don't think we're anywhere near the top of his hate list

14 hours ago, Hendo said:

The previous umpteen games were when we were in the middle of our Covid problems - no goalies, players missing, training cancelled, self isolation and games off. It is no surprise, given what was going on, our form was poor.

Indeed.

A settled team, with no disruptions to training and affected players recovering from illness.

The acquisition of Doyle-Hayes and Mason, has helped greatly too.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

A settled team, with no disruptions to training and affected players recovering from illness.

The acquisition of Doyle-Hayes and Mason, has helped greatly too.

We must have had some early Covid cases for the whole of last season. :lol:

I'm not denying the last 3 games we are a different team, long may it continue, but it's amusing to wash over the early season form and baffling decisions from Goodwin. 

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

We must have had some early Covid cases for the whole of last season:lol:

I'm not denying the last 3 games we are a different team, long may it continue, but it's amusing to wash over the early season form and baffling decisions from Goodwin. 

last season with a completely different squad? 

Nobody is "washing over" anything. We were very poor.

Of course Goodwin has made (and continues to make), some poor decisions. However, to discount the disruption and uncertainty that we experienced, as a contributing factor to our poor form, and to blame it mostly on the manager, seems a rather skewed viewpoint to take IMO.

18 minutes ago, FTOF said:

last season with a completely different squad? 

Nobody is "washing over" anything. We were very poor.

Of course Goodwin has made (and continues to make), some poor decisions. However, to discount the disruption and uncertainty that we experienced, as a contributing factor to our poor form, and to blame it mostly on the manager, seems a rather skewed viewpoint to take IMO.

Last season with the same manager? 

The post you quoted WAS washing over the early part of the season.

Sure, Covid has been a contributory factor, which EVERY other team had to cope with, and using the goal keeper situation as part of this "defence of the manager" is hilarious as the replacement was as good as we have. 

18 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Last season with the same manager? 

The post you quoted WAS washing over the early part of the season.

Sure, Covid has been a contributory factor, which EVERY other team had to cope with, and using the goal keeper situation as part of this "defence of the manager" is hilarious as the replacement was as good as we have. 

The replacement goalie met the players about two hours before the Hibs game, he had never played with them before, hence the clear lack of understanding at the back that day.

We're also nine games unbeaten, not three as you keep referencing. Even if you only count league games its still four unbeaten.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

We must have had some early Covid cases for the whole of last season. :lol:

To be fair, last season we weren't too bad at all given circumstances. We stayed clear of bottom spot almost the whole time despite the squad build being very last minute what with the Kearney plans being thrown out the window and Goodwin had to learn a lot of hard lessons early on. 

This season has been disappointing to say the least in an attacking sense but we're a lot better in every other department. Probably even top 5 or 6 quality outwith the forwards, the defensive record attests to that, only Celtic, Rangers and Hibs are better if you discount the phantom goals and half of the 16 we've ACTUALLY conceded came against those three sides.

Some of the managers tactical decisions have been baffling and  the natural tendancy of the side to retreat into their shells for the second half of games is frustrating as feck but I'm hoping that he is learning from these errors. 

I was one of those who said a few weeks ago that the heat was massively on Goodwin to either make or break his time here and credit to him and the squad, they've been performing when the pressure has been ramped up. 

Edited by djchapsticks

18 minutes ago, Hendo said:

The replacement goalie met the players about two hours before the Hibs game, he had never played with them before, hence the clear lack of understanding at the back that day.

We're also nine games unbeaten, not three as you keep referencing. Even if you only count league games its still four unbeaten.

The goalie, as you seem to suffer from amnesia, was one of our better players in the games he played.

Over egging the effect he had smacks of desperation.

You'll be one of the eejits who loved our great run last season, only lost 1 from 10, yet only won about 1. 

The 3 games I mention are games we've played well, and I've already mentioned Goodwin deserves credit for that.  

Edited by faraway saint

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, last season we weren't too bad at all given circumstances. We stayed clear of bottom spot almost the whole time despite the squad build be very last minute and Goodwin learning a lot of hard lessons early on. 

This season has been disappointing to say the least in an attacking sense but we're a lot better in every other department. Some of the managers tactical decisions have been baffling and  the natural tendancy of the side to retreat into their shells for the second half of games is frustrating as feck but I'm hoping that he is learning from these errors. 

I was one of those who said a few weeks ago that the heat was massively on Goodwin to either make or break his time here and credit to him and the squad, they've been performing when the pressure has been ramped up. 

Pretty decent summary, although I do think we were pretty bad last season and he had mid season to sort us out, which never happened.

That apart, no real disagreements mate. 

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Pretty decent summary, although I do think we were pretty bad last season and he had mid season to sort us out, which never happened.

That apart, no real disagreements mate. 

I'd argue the piece that we became a lot harder to beat after mid season last year so although he did make some mistakes in the market there was some positive effect. We only lost 3 games after the winter break (away to Ibrox, Parkhead and Almondvale) at a point where we lost Magennis and Flynn in quick succession. 

However, there was a shitstorm coming. Folk forget that we were all delighted the Killie game following Hearts win was postponed (then of course cancelled) due to covid as we were absolutely dead on our feet with suspensions and injuries. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd argue the piece that we became a lot harder to beat after mid season last year so although he did make some mistakes in the market there was some positive effect. We only lost 3 games after the winter break (away to Ibrox, Parkhead and Almondvale) at a point where we lost Magennis and Flynn in quick succession. 

However, there was a shitstorm coming. Folk forget that we were all delighted the Killie game following Hearts win was postponed (then of course cancelled) due to covid as we were absolutely dead on our feet with suspensions and injuries. 

Yet we were ONE defeat from relegation? 

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Yet we were ONE defeat from relegation? 

We were but you can't account for other teams upturns in form or hold that as a bar to judge ourselves on. We improved and Hearts and Accies stayed with us. Remember, Hamilton pulled two wins at the end of the season including a 1-0 win at Ibrox that ultimately saved them! 

Had our pre Xmas form continued as it was, we'd have been bottom when it was called. Had Hearts or Accies not have improved, we'd have pulled well clear. Remember the team spiralling at the point the season finished was actually Ross County. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We were but you can't account for other teams upturns in form or hold that as a bar to judge ourselves on. We improved and Hearts and Accies stayed with us. Remember, Hamilton pulled two wins at the end of the season including a 1-0 win at Ibrox that ultimately saved them! 

Had our pre Xmas form continued as it was, we'd have been bottom when it was called. Had Hearts or Accies not have improved, we'd have pulled well clear. Remember the team spiralling at the point the season finished was actually Ross County. 

That's the same in every league and every season, and something many on here forget.

What do we expect, all the other diddy teams to roll over?

Almost discounting other teams form is a smokescreen, as over the whole season the truth is teams end up where they deserve.

As for Hamilton winning at Ibrox, we all know why that never even looked like happening for us last season.

Again HAD Hearts and Accies not improved...........................jeezo, enough said on that approach. 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

That's the same in every league and every season, and something many on here forget.

What do we expect, all the other diddy teams to roll over?

Almost discounting other teams form is a smokescreen, as over the whole season the truth is teams end up where they deserve.

As for Hamilton winning at Ibrox, we all know why that never even looked like happening for us last season.

Again HAD Hearts and Accies not improved...........................jeezo, enough said on that approach. 

Well, can shorten it to one quick sentence a former manager once said. 

'Control the controllables' 

And the improvement in our form last season is exactly what we did in that regard.