Youth academy

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Every time I take you off ignore you manage to reach new heights of f**kwittery within days.

I'm a fool to myself for thinking you are capable of acting like a normal human being.

Back on you go.

Translation ‘tears because someone has taken exception to something I’ve posted’ 👍

On 12/12/2020 at 8:56 AM, antrin said:

You’re thinking o’ his faither.

Safe pair of hands, all-encompassing understanding of the state of play, not to be messed with.

god like... 

On 12/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, Yflab said:

Naw.....

Maybe you had left Paisley for London already, but me and @Cookie Monstergrew up in the “golden era” of supporting Saints when there were badges pronouncing the fact that.....

”Jesus Saves, but Somner knocks in the rebound!” 

On 12/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, HSS said:

1968/69 we went 12 games unbeaten in the top league.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:04 AM, TopCat said:

Thought that was it. Best top flight run for over 50 years, amazing stuff from the team and manager emoji1316.png

21 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

68/69 was 1 LC game followed by 11 League games.

This season's run of 9 games comprises 2 LC then 1 League then 2 LC followed by 4 League games (a total of 5 consecutive League games) although I see Soccerbase have put our two 3-0 defeats in their original dates spoiling both sequences. :boo:

Results for St Mirren for 1968-69 (londonhearts.com)

Sat Nov 16 1968   L1   St Mirren 1-0 Rangers   St Mirren Park (Love Street) 42653

My first ever game which was attended by 42653 - FFS

Let the record show, @Yflab... that after I left for London, it seems the golden era left with me, in my back pocket.

MY golden era also included the 1959 Cup Final.  Suck that up.

QED.  :)

(My thanks to HSS, Top Cat and BtB for ferreting out facts to prove that petty point!)

Edited by antrin

17 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Nah. I’m not having that @antrin 

History will show that the golden decade spanned 77-87.

1xFirst Division 

1xAnglo Scottish Cup

1xScottish Cup win

Highest ever top flight finish

Multiple semi final appearances in Scottish and League Cups

Multiple season entry into European competition

Some of our players becoming Scotland internationals and breaking club records for appearances 

Some of the opposition we played against home and away included George Best, Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini, Johnny Rep, Patrick Batiston, Ruud Gullit, The Liverpool European Champions team of ‘77.

😂  🏆 🏆 🏆 😂 

We really should have pushed on from that time but on the back of a large amount of money from the Ferguson transfer, quite frankly squandered it on some really bad signings whether on transfer fees or free transfers commanding big signing on fees and wages which at the time started a downward spiral.

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

Nah. I’m not having that @antrin 

History will show that the golden decade spanned 77-87.

1xFirst Division 

1xAnglo Scottish Cup

1xScottish Cup win

Highest ever top flight finish

Multiple semi final appearances in Scottish and League Cups

Multiple season entry into European competition

Some of our players becoming Scotland internationals and breaking club records for appearances 

Some of the opposition we played against home and away included George Best, Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini, Johnny Rep, Patrick Batiston, Ruud Gullit, The Liverpool European Champions team of ‘77.

😂  🏆 🏆 🏆 😂 

All I'm saying is... someone asked a question above and it was accurately answered- not based on your youthful flights of fancy.

I have ignored the ignoble failed semi finals etc in Cups - hunners o them, of course.

And the leagues were not crippled by the Twin Cheeks and were more open to all and thus harder in which to flourish for a wee team.  

I could reel off MY Buddies facing up against REAL giants of fitba like Jim Clunie, Jim Baxter, Jimmy Johnstone, Billy McNeill, Yogi Hughes, Eric Caldow, Tommy Gemmell etc etc... Some of them - European Champions! Class acts!

And NOT 10-a-penny foreigners!

And as for the Anglo-Scottish Cup? Some of that was on my turf - in my backyaird, thus it IS in my era, also!  :P

Edited by antrin

17 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

We really should have pushed on from that time but on the back of a large amount of money from the Ferguson transfer, quite frankly squandered it on some really bad signings whether on transfer fees or free transfers commanding big signing on fees and wages which at the time started a downward spiral.

I blame the likes of Yflab for that.  :)

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

To be fair there were not that many “foreigners” in Scottish teams between 77-87 highlighted by the fact that the Scottish Cup final that season was the last to have been played between two all Scottish sides. The good guys won of course! You probably witnessed more “foreigners” playing for Saints than I did

Admitedly the Souness revolution was underway which was to change the landscape of Scottish football forever.  

I think Tottie Beck was maybe it, for me...  :unsure:

54 minutes ago, Yflab said:

@antrin

Did you ever see the famous (and our only) Brazilian Fernando Azevedo? He played during 1965-66 according to the stmirren.info site which is back up and running.

Ramos was smashing his sales targets. In early August, St Mirren received another two of his Brazilians, Fernando Azevedo and Roberto Faria. Faria faded quickly from view – perhaps the bright lights of Paisley distracted and beguiled him – while Azevedo was hailed in the local press as a “Top Brazilian”. Cue fever among Buddies, cue old men whistling The Girl from Ipanema on County Square and down by the Abbey. On the first Saturday in August, St Mirren played Northampton Town in a Charity Cup match at Love Street.

With international clearance stuck in the post somewhere between the Amazon and the Clyde, Azevedo was restricted to a half-time unveiling. His silky keepy-ups had supporters cooing in anticipation.

St Mirren, incidentally, lost two-nil and their young star, Archie Gemmill, broke an ankle.

3 minutes ago, pod said:

. On the first Saturday in August, St Mirren played Northampton Town in a Charity Cup match at Love Street.
St Mirren, incidentally, lost two-nil and their young star, Archie Gemmill, broke an ankle.

Cobblers.

Edited by HSS

On 12/12/2020 at 11:41 PM, Krankies therapist said:

Cannae believe the shite spouted on here.

Diidnae think the day cou”d get worse, lots of time as it’s deid oot there with hardly a hire but reading the rubbish you lot have been posting is enough tae make ye Chuck it ! 

Perhaps ye kid tak up Taxi-dermy ?