Road To Hampden - Scottish Cup 20/21

shull

2 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Incentive right there. Not only winning the cup, but min of £3m and European footy.

"The winners of this season's Scottish Cup will bank a minimum of £3m from European football next term as they go straight into a Europa League play-off with the safety net of a place in the new Europa Conference League. (Sun)"

Remember there are costs to playing in Europe that may not be offset by gate receipts in normal times never mind the current situation

If the fans are allowed back in then clubs who progress to intermediate and later stages can move from deficit to surplus  pretty quickly

Those who exit in the early stages might not recoup their early losses, especially if crowds are restricted or non-existent.

15 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Remember there are costs to playing in Europe that may not be offset by gate receipts in normal times never mind the current situation

If the fans are allowed back in then clubs who progress to intermediate and later stages can move from deficit to surplus  pretty quickly

Those who exit in the early stages might not recoup their early losses, especially if crowds are restricted or non-existent.

I doubt the costs would run to £3m or anything like it. 

19 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

What makes you think this could be the case by the time these games come around? 😲

1 hour ago, Slash said:

Thats the only realistic place the safe standing could go. Installing it anywhere else would result in sight lines being affected by those adjacent. As an example if you put safe standing in W7 it would affect seated punters in W6 & W5.

I sit in W6 and when the lads are in full swing giving it dokey there's no restriction in viewing at all 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Widnae affect me. 😂😂😂

Or me!!!! TV for me forever now, far better experience. I wouldn't even attend a cup final now. Commercial side and prices a joke now so not buying into that....couldn't care less that supporters cannot get in.

13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Been said on P&B that our game against the Fakes will be on the Sunday with a 2-15 k/o and shown on BBC1.

Hope he is right, since i have my grandson 1st birthday do to attend to on the Saturday. 

Ya dancer. I’m on the boat from Portsmouth to Jersey all day Saturday so would’ve missed it. 👍

Thats the only realistic place the safe standing could go. Installing it anywhere else would result in sight lines being affected by those adjacent. As an example if you put safe standing in W7 it would affect seated punters in W6 & W5.

However, IF you make back 6 rows of Westbank standing area - full length of the stand ?

Problem sorted for those seated in front

[emoji3]

I think Quaner could be a massively important player to us on this run in. He could be our 2021 Isma.

Which begs the question how extensively we use him. On one hand we want him playing as much as possible to increase his fitness and add his quality to the league effort, but on the other hand, do we want the Accies hammer throwers crocking him before the semi? 

26 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think Quaner could be a massively important player to us on this run in. He could be our 2021 Isma.

Which begs the question how extensively we use him. On one hand we want him playing as much as possible to increase his fitness and add his quality to the league effort, but on the other hand, do we want the Accies hammer throwers crocking him before the semi? 

We need to play him and get him up to speed ASAP. He looked very, very good last night and everything stuck to him but I'd rather be going with him for 90 minutes than 30 or 60 (with Extra time)

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I doubt the costs would run to £3m or anything like it. 

See, I thought people would consider my post in context

We can salivate about this theoretical 3 mill, but not all of it would be available for our ongoing budget

and if you spend a big chunk of it on players, then you better be sure to qualify again the following year, otherwise you will be struggling to finance your squad f or more than one season.

And anyway, how much do you think it would cost to get a group of 20-plus people, with kit, to far flung corners of eastern europe and back, plus accommodation and maybe hire of a training ground while you are there?

Well into the tens of thousands and maybe more in some circumstances, per tie.

20 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

We can salivate about this theoretical 3 mill, but not all of it would be available for our ongoing budget

and if you spend a big chunk of it on players, then you better be sure to qualify again the following year, otherwise you will be struggling to finance your squad f or more than one season.

And anyway, how much do you think it would cost to get a group of 20-plus people, with kit, to far flung corners of eastern europe and back, plus accommodation and maybe hire of a training ground while you are there?

In terms of the first bolded point, I haven’t seen anyone advocate spending “a big chunk of it” on players. Merely suggesting that with the guarantee of a European shop window and some extra cash, we could attract a better quality of player, which we undoubtedly could  without doing anything stupid or unsustainable.

On the second point, of course there would be extensive travel expenses, but you’re talking thousands not millions.

Honest tae f**k, only a St. Murn fan could throw a downer on a potential £3m windfall. 🙄

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In theory, he should start at the weekend alongside Dennis.

The problem is neither of those are fit enough to last an entire match hence why Erwin is being used I think.

58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We need to play him and get him up to speed ASAP. He looked very, very good last night and everything stuck to him but I'd rather be going with him for 90 minutes than 30 or 60 (with Extra time)

I think Jim is nervous about playing Quaner or Dennis for a full 90 minutes for fear of them getting injured again.

The priority is the Cup now. Maybe play one of them up top for an hour and the other for 30 minutes with McGrath playing off them would be the way to go to avoid having to use Erwin.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think Jim is nervous about playing Quaner or Dennis for a full 90 minutes for fear of them getting injured again.

The priority is the Cup now. Maybe play one of them up top for an hour and the other for 30 minutes with McGrath playing off them would be the way to go to avoid having to use Erwin.

Remember when ABE used to mean Anyone But England.

Now it means Anyone But Erwin. 

57 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I don't recall anyone saying we'd have the full £3m for our playing budget.

The context is that we'd have a guaranteed £3m coming in and that would more than compensate for the total costs associated with playing 4 of those ties abroad. By some considerable margin.

Cost of flying people to Eastern Europe? I imagine you'd want them flying out the night before the game, staying the one night and then flying back straight after the game so that's probably about £10k on flights? Then you'd be looking at maybe £2k on a single night's accommodation with food and a few hundred quid on hiring a park for the day of the match. So maybe ball park £15k per trip, 4 away trips from 8 games is £60k. Now under the old financial rules I reckon the club would struggle to recoup £15k of expenses plus whatever home game expenses there would be against a Faroe Islands team or a far Eastern Europe team but a £3m minimum prize for taking part would be a different kettle of fish.

Or am I missing something here?

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I don't recall anyone saying we'd have the full £3m for our playing budget.

The context is that we'd have a guaranteed £3m coming in and that would more than compensate for the total costs associated with playing 4 of those ties abroad. By some considerable margin.

Cost of flying people to Eastern Europe? I imagine you'd want them flying out the night before the game, staying the one night and then flying back straight after the game so that's probably about £10k on flights? Then you'd be looking at maybe £2k on a single night's accommodation with food and a few hundred quid on hiring a park for the day of the match. So maybe ball park £15k per trip, 4 away trips from 8 games is £60k. Now under the old financial rules I reckon the club would struggle to recoup £15k of expenses plus whatever home game expenses there would be against a Faroe Islands team or a far Eastern Europe team but a £3m minimum prize for taking part would be a different kettle of fish.

Or am I missing something here?

No, you’re not. 
Even if you’ve underestimated the travel costs a little (which I think you might have), your point (and mine before you) still stands that these expenses would be a drop in the ocean in comparison to the income being generated. 

6 minutes ago, Slash said:

let’s hope that the SMiSA takeover agreement is water tight.  

After all we don’t want Gordon Scott reneging on the deal and staying on longer to siphon off the £3M.  😂 

Takeover day was announced last night as 27th July 2021. Once we takeover the plan is to keep subscriptions in place but introduce an introductory membership at £5 per month for younger fans over age 18 who may not have as much disposable income. SMiSA are also looking at creating a junior membership.

Ha ha. Let’s win the cup first mate and worry about that later. 🤣

1 minute ago, Slash said:

Hey you could be St Mirrens official travel advisor, given your experience following Scotland far and wide.

I’m just a big game aficionado. To date I’ve only been to the big away qualifiers or major tournaments! Thankfully I can say I’ve seen Brazil twice in the world cups as well as many others from 1990 onwards. Amazing to think we shared a world stage. Maybe we will see a resurgence in good talented young players who are more interested in playing the game on grass rather than smoking it and playing PlayStation FIFA. 😂 

We must have the most Academy graduates coming through than any other team in the top league.

COYS. Let’s win this cup.

🤣

Aye, if we win the cup, I promise to give all St. Mirren fans free travel advice on the darkest recesses of Eastern Europe, including pubs, clubs and other.......ahem........tourist attractions. 

34 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

No, you’re not. 
Even if you’ve underestimated the travel costs a little (which I think you might have), your point (and mine before you) still stands that these expenses would be a drop in the ocean in comparison to the income being generated. 

You're probably right about that. I've assumed £500 per person for a 48 hour return ticket and 20 people travelling. TBH it's been so many years since I travelled abroad that I'm probably out by a factor of 2 or so.