Is Breakdancing a Sport?

Bud the Baker

Set to be include in the 2024 Olympics, but is it a sport?

My gut feeling is no and that other sports that rely on judges interpretation like Gymnastics, Diving etc aren't either, I'm unsure about the likes of Boxing & Judo which can be settled by a KO or whatever but usually seem to be decided by judges are - I obviously couldn't do what these competitors can, couldn't even when I was young and reasonably fit but in some ways I think the aforementioned sports are less deserving of the title than say Darts or Snooker (even Bowls which was set to be included this year) which are settled without any dubiety.

As a class warrior I suppose if events that are obviously a throwback to when the Olympics were primarily for rich & predominantly white folk like Showjumping, Sailing are allowed then why not Breakdancing. I'm not sure where to put Rowing, in an ideal world it could be a genuinely competitive sport but I'm sure rich countries will always have the better boats and an inbuilt advantage.

It's not even as if I'm a big fan of the Olympics, the only sport I watched in the last two games has been the cycling events but probably this also falls into the category where competitors from rich countries will always have an advantage.- anyway nothings gonna stop me watching men & women on drugs & wearing Lycra! :headbang

Anyway no matter what an old rocker like me thinks - welcome Breakdancing!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Boxing scoring is less about a person's personal opinion (or, at least, it's supposed to be) and more about counting the number of punches.  There is obviously some opinion involved but, as can normally be seen from the judges scorecards which tend to match up quite well, the amount personal opinion influences it is quite small.

Anything that is purely scored on the opinion of people is, in my opinion, not worthy of inclusion in the Olympics.  Ice skating, diving, synchronised swimming, cheerleading, dancing, gymnastics - all could be classed as "sporty", but I wouldn't call them sports.  It'll be bricklaying and butter churning next.

Wow!

I had just opened the above post as my wummin walked in to announce that we should go into town tonight  before lockdown to see this:

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (15) | Barbican

I showed her your post, BtB.  She says, "It's a sign!".

Sadly, there are still many free seats.

Sigh.

It looks like I'll be also eating out again.   

Another late night.   Thanks a lot.  :(

On a more serious noteI think squash is still trying for Olympic recognition as is cricket, the second biggest spectator in the world.  On a less serious note the Olympics used to have several odd sports;

• Rope Climbing
  • Tug of War
  • Underwater Swimming
  • Hot Air Ballooning
  • Solo Synchronised Swimming
  • The Arts, including gold medals for Painting, Architecture and Town Planning!!!!!

Perhaps this new dancin' on yir back sport is an attempt to bring back the frivolities of the first half of the 20th Century.

https://olympics.time.com/2012/07/16/really-strange-sports-that-are-longer-in-the-olympics/slide/live-pigeon-shooting/

[emoji44]

Shooting has long been a staple at the Olympics, with the sport appearing in the first modern Olympics in 1896. While competitors typically shot at disc-shaped targets called clay pigeons, the 1900 Games in Paris went with livelier targets – real pigeons. Live birds were held and released, as athletes took aim at the moving targets. Reportedly more than 300 birds were killed in the event. Although PETA wasn’t around at the time to protest the use of animals, Olympics officials decided to skip the living targets from then on. When the London Games of 1908 featured running deer as targets in the shooting event, cardboard cut-outs were used.

6 hours ago, rabuddies said:

Tipped for the Oscars apparently.

Well...  not for me.

it’s definitely derived from a play but never opened out enough to make it a movie. Quite claustrophobic with 99% of the (lack of) action indoors, enclosed.

long speechifying, so can see how Chadwick Boseman might get posthumous recognition.  Viola Davis has a slim chance with a highly credible performance as Ma Rainey  - Davis is an immensely attractive woman who has distorted herself into the Ma Rainey shape.  Robert de Niro achieved some of his success by taking that route.  I still think Frances McDormand should win that Oscar, though.

(and Gary Oldman as Hank Mankiewicz, the screenwriter of Citizen Kane, seems a better contender to me.  Also, it’s a far better, funnier, more filmic fillum!  Also, also... it’s about Hollywood and they love navel-gazing...)

So... Ma Rainey....good music, credible acting, not a strong story. It was more telling us about their lives than showing us them living it.  Very little action.  Long speechifying.

restaurants and pubs heaving - last night before lockdown.

I’m glad I went out to play.  :)

Edited by antrin

And another thing!!!

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.  It’s in the title.

Black Bottom.  That’s a dance.  Apart from an opening gig in a tent when we see old Ma sorta shimmying a little when she’s singing, this is a fillum devoid of dancing!  

static, indoors... missed opportunities for spectacle.  But as it’s a NETFLIX production, I guess it’s not really meant as a big fillum - more targeted at wee screens.

On a more serious noteI think squash is still trying for Olympic recognition as is cricket, the second biggest spectator in the world.  On a less serious note the Olympics used to have several odd sports;
  • Rope Climbing
  • Tug of War
  • Underwater Swimming
  • Hot Air Ballooning
  • The Arts, including gold medals for Painting, Architecture and Town Planning!!!!!
Perhaps this new dancin' on yir back sport is an attempt to bring back the frivolities of the first half of the 20th Century.

Around 20 years ago, I employed this guy ( Was told to as he was the son of a local councillor in Leeds and my boss in the education sector was his friend etc etc ) anyway,asides from the fact he was lazy and useless and rarely showed up.....

I once went into the School to try and find him and he ( 40 year old ) was running up and down the hall with a kite !!

I asked what the hell was he doing and he said “Training to be the world indoor kite champion’ [emoji23] I kid you not !

FFS , sport ?

Around 20 years ago, I employed this guy ( Was told to as he was the son of a local councillor in Leeds and my boss in the education sector was his friend etc etc ) anyway,asides from the fact he was lazy and useless and rarely showed up.....

I once went into the School to try and find him and he ( 40 year old ) was running up and down the hall with a kite !!

I asked what the hell was he doing and he said “Training to be the world indoor kite champion’ [emoji23] I kid you not !

FFS , sport ?

Did he succeed. [emoji23]

Fcuk, there really is such a thing. [emoji44]

I've just remembered The Indoor League created in the 70s by Sid "WUNHUNDREEEDANAAAAAATEEEEE" Wadell and fronted by a pipe smoking Fred Truman, in a haze of smoke and with booze sloshing all over the place the following sports were featured....:spud5

The show featured many indoor games, the majority of which were pub games, each of which had a prize of £100 for the competition winners. The sports included darts, pool, bar billiards, bar skittles, table football (a.k.a. foosball), arm wrestling and shove ha'penny amongst others. Among the commentators were Dave Lanning and Keith Macklin. The programme was broadcast from The Leeds Irish Centre, which was later recognised as the 'birthplace of television darts.

Now that the Olympics has embraced professionalism there is no legitimate reason for the above sports not to be included...

2 hours ago, antrin said:

And another thing!!!

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.  It’s in the title.

Black Bottom.  That’s a dance.  Apart from an opening gig in a tent when we see old Ma sorta shimmying a little when she’s singing, this is a fillum devoid of dancing!  

static, indoors... missed opportunities for spectacle.  But as it’s a NETFLIX production, I guess it’s not really meant as a big fillum - more targeted at wee screens.

Yeah I always thought she was principally a singer.

16 hours ago, rabuddies said:

• Rope Climbing
  • Tug of War
  • Underwater Swimming
  • Hot Air Ballooning

Baseball is back in (again) for the 2021 Olpmpics so I see no reason for cricket prob'ly T20 which typically last around 3 hours couldn't be included.