Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi Final 24/1/21

shull

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

When I was a student there was a guy in my class, Gary Moore.

His dad used to be an independent bookie in Edinburgh IIRC and his shop was near a pub called The Ben Nevis. The story goes that everyone from the pub from underagers to sherry drinking dowagers  were placing bets of all sizes on the Ben Nevis which surely couldn't win at 100/1, 66/1, 50/1 etc.

Well the greedy so and so didn't lay off enough to cover his liability and when it won at 40/1 his business was liquidated.

That got a mention on Off The Bsll today.

2 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Evening interrupted by a family viewing of the International Space Station - clearly visible speeding across the skies over north Aberdeenshire !

Is it wearing a yellow and black scarf?

😮

2 minutes ago, HSS said:

That got a mention on Off The Bsll today.

Really? I didn't hear it.

Gary worked in Ladbrokes in Gilmour St when we were students. Those were the days when they had big poster sized sheets of paper with all the runners and the prices were changed with a marker. He used to walk along a plank between meetings if race tines were close together.

He taught me the  meaning of all the wee symbols in the form (C, D, CD, BF, F, P, U, /, - etc). I can't recall the exact suspension his dad got but the Ben Nevis GN was 1980 and we went to Paisley Tech in 1985 and his dad was back in the bookie business as a manager for Mecca.

46 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hopefully we will be in our lucky dugout tomorrow. 

If i am right, we were in the left hand 1 as you come out of the tunnel in 1987 and 2013 and in the right hand 1 in 2010.

We will be in the right one then.   That's not good. 

11 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

When I was a student there was a guy in my class, Gary Moore.

His dad used to be an independent bookie in Edinburgh IIRC and his shop was near a pub called The Ben Nevis. The story goes that everyone from the pub from underagers to sherry drinking dowagers  were placing bets of all sizes on the Ben Nevis which surely couldn't win at 100/1, 66/1, 50/1 etc.

Well the greedy so and so didn't lay off enough to cover his liability and when it won at 40/1 his business was liquidated.

There was a wee bookies around the corner from me a few years ago who would immediately offer you better odds than any of the big bookmakers if you took in a coupon.

He went bust as well.