Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi Final 24/1/21

shull

Was utter misery listening in, but the fact is yet another game without us scoring. It must be some kind of a record. Anyway, poor show once more by Saints. To make matters worse, the woman presenter on radio utters so many errs, umms and ahs that she could be Johnson’s speech writer. Our chance to win a trophy with no big guns left and we are just not up to it. That leaves the Scottish cup and relegation dogfight. Happy days. 
A record, 2 without scoring ????

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Two stonewall penalties denied.

Two clear chances to shoot and we pass instead.

At least we went down giving it everything.

I'm afraid the quality just isn't there in the midfield at the moment and that has cost us today.

Tait was our best player IMO and if we had a team of players as good as him we'd be in a different place.

The back 4 all played very well actually after a shaky start.

Livingston were utter shit and we've dominated possession for most of the game and that'll be the cause of the pain for the players tonight.

Oh well.

:lol:

Dreadful negative team selection, dreadful hit n hope tactics, dreadful defending and ‘too little too late’ subs.

One of the most pitiful semi final ‘performances’ I can remember from any side. Felt we were always going to lose from the second minute onwards.  Jim deserves all the stick he will undoubtedly get for this. 

He’d better shake this safety first bullshit. The month of January has been a disgrace. If we don’t reverse our fortunes sharpish we can easily get sucked back into the mire. Long gone are those performances against Aberdeen when we actually started to look like a good team.

The message we gave to our players and theirs with the line up was that we were scared of them ,hasn't changed

Exactly. JG selection and formation squarely to blame for this defeat.
No doubt he had the players fearing Livi in the same way he has us prepared for matches against the OF.

At least there’s the 2nd half of Man U v LPool to cheer me up.

Will take the flags down later ...

4 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

I have no doubt Goodwin will be in the press afterwards giving the usual Bafta-worthy performance but the blame is on him for this one.

All eyes on him now in a big few weeks, just as far away from relegation as we are top 6... interesting times ahead

I'm starting to worry that Saints have left it to late to overtake sevco and steal the league...

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Didn't see a foot clip was looking to see if he was pulled back which he definitely wasnt.

I thought the undersole of his boot WAS clipped, but no deliberation in there - just 2 players inhabiting the same wee space, going for the same ball.

Congratulations Livi.

No excuses. They deserved the win.

Saints started too defensively and gave Livi too much respect for far too long when in a semi final they should have gone for the jugular.

Livi bossed the first half and deserved their lead.

We left the changes far too late, and when we did remember how to attack, Livi defended as if their lives depended upon it.

They fought for one another, gave their all and deserve their place in.the cup final.

Would have been my wee Mums birthday today.

I had hoped to dedicate a win to her memory.

Just wasn't to be.

Well played Livi.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

6 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing that again, but from the replay it looked like Obika had his foot clipped............or maybe I need new specs.

Yeah that's what I thought too.

There wasn't much to it but when a player is running like that it only takes a small bit of contact.

Penalty for me.

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

Dreadful negative team selection, dreadful hit n hope tactics, dreadful defending and ‘too little too late’ subs.

One of the most pitiful semi final ‘performances’ I can remember from any side. Felt we were always going to lose from the second minute onwards.  Jim deserves all the stick he will undoubtedly get for this. 

He’d better shake this safety first bullshit. The month of January has been a disgrace. If we don’t reverse our fortunes sharpish we can easily get sucked back into the mire. Long gone are those performances against Aberdeen when we actually started to look like a good team.

Don't forget we also played really well, and beat, Rangers BUT that's exactly what I'd been saying over the last couple of days, we've been dreadful recently, getting massive amounts of luck but are back to where we were before the small run of form we had against Aberdeen & Rangers,

When are folk going to learn with this “we were better in the second half” pish. 
We weren’t. We were just as shite in the second half. Livingston did what other teams have done. Got ahead and second half just gave us the ball to play with, safe in the knowledge we are totally toothless. Creates the illusion of us being better, but we were still shite. 
We were absolutely hopeless from start to finish and I’m happy to lay a large slice (not all) of the blame at Goodwin’s door.

As an aside, Martindale seems like a right good we c**t. 

Six weeks ago we attacked teams from the start and played a pressing game when we lost the ball. We won most second balls. That got us success. Today we start with two left backs when we had a good left winger on the bench and sit back with Ethan and Cammy sitting in from of the back four leaving acres of space in front and the forwards isolated. Why Jim?

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

When are folk going to learn with this “we were better in the second half” pish. 
We weren’t. We were just as shite in the second half. Livingston did what other teams have done. Got ahead and second half just gave us the ball to play with, safe in the knowledge we are totally toothless. Creates the illusion of us being better, but we were still shite. 
We were absolutely hopeless from start to finish and I’m happy to lay a large slice (not all) of the blame at Goodwin’s door.

As an aside, Martindale seems like a right good we c**t. 

It sums us up when the cries of penalties for us are all we've got.

Negative set up, little class in midfield, up front...........................well, our goal scoring record says it all. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Correct Oaky. All about opinions. You’ve got yours and I’ve got mine. Only difference between the two is that mine is right and yours is wrong. 😘

Aye OK. 🤣

On the positive side, at least we're not having to face a two hour commute back home again after the game.

Time to move on to Wednesday. All in all, we've had a good run in this Cup but we need to get the league sorted now.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Six weeks ago we attacked teams from the start and played a pressing game when we lost the ball. We won most second balls. That got us success. Today we start with two left backs when we had a good left winger on the bench and sit back with Ethan and Cammy sitting in from of the back four leaving acres of space in front and the forwards isolated. Why Jim?

100%, we got what we deserved then and we're getting what we deserve now. 

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Two stonewall penalties denied.

not penalties, never mind stonewallers

Tait was our best player IMO 

though Tait's control was pretty poor

The back 4 all played very well actually after a shaky start.

and then proceeded to hump the ball up the park - no composure

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Because he showed his limitations as a manager today. 

Don't think he's going to top level. Good media performer but getting found out.

Shocking performance start to finish. There is no excusing the complete lack of commitment to win that match today and the fringe players must be given a chance now.

No pass marks for any outfield player and Goodwin did not change it quick enough. Next week I would be playing Flynn & Foley as an absolute minimum, probably others that deserve more of a chance than the players today, they let themselves and the club down badly. I can defend an off game or a poor performance, I can't defend a lack of effort and that's exactly what I seen today.