Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi Final 24/1/21

shull

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Six weeks ago we attacked teams from the start and played a pressing game when we lost the ball. We won most second balls. That got us success. Today we start with two left backs when we had a good left winger on the bench and sit back with Ethan and Cammy sitting in from of the back four leaving acres of space in front and the forwards isolated. Why Jim?

Erahon is fecking honking, offers feck all...

Just now, bazil85 said:

Shocking performance start to finish. There is no excusing the complete lack of commitment to win that match today and the fringe players must be given a chance now.

No pass marks for any outfield player and Goodwin did not change it quick enough. Next week I would be playing Flynn & Foley as an absolute minimum, probably others that deserve more of a chance than the players today, they let themselves and the club down badly. I can defend an off game or a poor performance, I can't defend a lack of effort and that's exactly what I seen today.  

What are you talking about lack of effort. They gave 100% but the tactics and selection were a disgrace.

Dare I say but there was only one person to blame and that was Goodwin.  

Mason, Macpherson and Erhahon are, for a semi, too young and light-weight given the physique of the Livingston squad and it proved to be a total disaster.

The squad in the second half came near to what it should have been in the first half.  

The whole town is in depression now.  Very disappointing especially when we had the ability to do much better had the team selection reflected common sense.

1 minute ago, lenziebud said:

What are you talking about lack of effort. They gave 100% but the tactics and selection were a disgrace.

Entitled to your opinion but I categorically disagree, they've been poor last few games yes, but this afternoon I seen no sign they were treating this game like a cup semi until the last 10 minutes. There was one point in the first half their keeper didn't know what to do with the ball at his feet because he assumed he'd be pressed and he wasn't. 

Tactics and personnel changes were off today, yes, but I did not see 100% effort on that park, nowhere near it.  

1 minute ago, billyg said:

Strange feeling. Not that disappointed. Probably because we didn’t deserve anything from it. Think the only time I’ve felt that way about a semi-final before was Killie during the relegation season in 2001.

A definite chance gone, if we'd gone at them and lose, that would have been different.

How many games do we start to play with a faster tempo when we're down, rarely before that? 

It's not just effort that wins games - we need a bit of guile and quality.

Self belief and concentration have also disappeared in recent weeks.

Whilst I rate some of our young midfield players they need some old wise heads beside them and too much has been asked of the young ones.

And yes - as everyone else has said, we are far too negative in our formation and attitude.

But we have the nucleus of a better team than the one that turned up today.

1 minute ago, WirralSaint said:

Im sure  hundreds of people he ruined the lives of, and their families, who didnt get the chance to "turn their lives around a be a good wee guy" probably disagree.

Yes they probably would. What the f**k has that got to do with anything apart from a bit of casual virtue signalling?

Manager asks for the players to handle the occasion and be brave. Needs to look himself in the mirror tonight as total lack of bravery in his team selection and formation. These opportunities don’t come along very often so disappointing to go out with a whimper. 

13 minutes ago, billyg said:

Strange feeling. Not that disappointed. Probably because we didn’t deserve anything from it. Think the only time I’ve felt that way about a semi-final before was Killie during the relegation season in 2001.

Indeed.

I've seen that type of performance so often this season, that I've got so used to it, that I've accepted it as the norm and just can't get too bothered about it.

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yes they probably would. What the f**k has that got to do with anything apart from a bit of casual virtue signalling?

I agree with you what a ridiculous post.

Onto the game, I've got to say I'm glad Mrs CS shouted for dinner when it had gone 85 minns we could have been playing after livi had gone home and still struggled. God only knows what they are coaching these players but that was shocking, it's a cup semi final for christ sake. We made livi look good.

7 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Think jim has to take a good amount of blame here setting up too defensively.  

Agreed, but he's just off the radio accepting the plaudits for his teams "fantastic" second half display. If Foley and Flynn are fit enough to play, today was the day to have at least one experienced guy in that midfield. A very negative starting lineup and his reluctance to change it when it was clearly not working was baffling.

Game was lost before a ball was kicked. Gave Livvi far too much respect with that starting formation. It was the type of team you play v the cheeks . Handed them the initiative from the off which they took. Very hard team to come back against after that. In effect we played right into their hands.

Mason either plays as LB or doesn't. A midfield with Ethan and Cammy will create hee haw. If Foley or Flynn aren't up to playing when the game was crying out for someone who could put a foot on the ball and pass it then get them shifted.

How Jim persuaded Brophy to sign if he intended using him as a lone striker I will never know. Anyone who knows anything about Scottish football knows he isn't a lone striker. I can only assume Jim knows that and plans to address it for next season.

Finally the wild prolonged form swings are baffling. It's either feast or famine and it needs ironed out.