Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi Final 24/1/21

shull

Just now, Ayrshire Saints said:

Game was lost before a ball was kicked. Gave Livvi far too much respect with that starting formation. It was the type of team you play v the cheeks . Handed them the initiative from the off which they took. Very hard team to come back against after that. In effect we played right into their hands.

Mason either plays as LB or doesn't. A midfield with Ethan and Cammy will create hee haw. If Foley or Flynn aren't up to playing when the game was crying out for someone who could put a foot on the ball and pass it then get them shifted.

How Jim persuaded Brophy to sign if he intended using him as a lone striker I will never know. Anyone who knows anything about Scottish football knows he isn't a lone striker. I can only assume Jim knows that and plans to address it for next season.

Finally the wild prolonged form swings are baffling. It's either feast or famine and it needs ironed out.

Spot on!

Shocking performance start to finish. There is no excusing the complete lack of commitment to win that match today and the fringe players must be given a chance now.
No pass marks for any outfield player and Goodwin did not change it quick enough. Next week I would be playing Flynn & Foley as an absolute minimum, probably others that deserve more of a chance than the players today, they let themselves and the club down badly. I can defend an off game or a poor performance, I can't defend a lack of effort and that's exactly what I seen today.  

Really ? I didn't see a lack of effort just a lack if a cohesive strategy.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Finally the wild prolonged form swings are baffling. It's either feast or famine and it needs ironed out.

That's the frustrating thing.

A team not that much different from today's outplayed The blue bigots, with a great pressing performance.

Shocking performance start to finish. There is no excusing the complete lack of commitment to win that match today and the fringe players must be given a chance now.
No pass marks for any outfield player and Goodwin did not change it quick enough. Next week I would be playing Flynn & Foley as an absolute minimum, probably others that deserve more of a chance than the players today, they let themselves and the club down badly. I can defend an off game or a poor performance, I can't defend a lack of effort and that's exactly what I seen today.  

St Moan boo boy!
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji12]

I agree with you what a ridiculous post.
Onto the game, I've got to say I'm glad Mrs CS shouted for dinner when it had gone 85 minns we could have been playing after livi had gone home and still struggled. God only knows what they are coaching these players but that was shocking, it's a cup semi final for christ sake. We made livi look good.

Disagree. I don’t think we made Livi look good. I think we were so poor, we made them look very ordinary.

That’s what’s so frustrating about today. We were set up to defend and had no idea how to respond when we went a goal down.

Been the same in recent weeks. Set up to not lose a goal, rather than have a go at opponents. I’d have preferred we went and had a go but lost 3-0 rather than set up to defend, not lay a glove on our opponents and lose 1-0.

49 minutes ago, billyg said:

Where to start ?  We gave them too much respect. How they could go 10 in a row unbeaten , I'll never know , they are rotten. A hit and run championship team . Looks like Brophy and whoever else we have for forward roles are not the answer. If ever a game was there for the taking , that was it ! 

I agree Billy

They are all hard work and pressence at set plays

Goodwin bought in to the media and tbf a few of us myself included

Obika and Durmus had to start as they have drive and look to go forward

They aren't great but as Livi have shown you don't need to be

Foley or Flynn should have came on today as the young players were too easy bullied

We were beaten before a ball was kicked today and that was down to the manager i'm afraid

5 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Disagree. I don’t think we made Livi look good. I think we were so poor, we made them look very ordinary.

That’s what’s so frustrating about today. We were set up to defend and had no idea how to respond when we went a goal down.

Been the same in recent weeks. Set up to not lose a goal, rather than have a go at opponents. I’d have preferred we went and had a go but lost 3-0 rather than set up to defend, not lay a glove on our opponents and lose 1-0.

I'll settle for we made livi look the better team. If we had went for it and lost by more yes it would be disheartening, but surely (and I've posted it before) someone higher up must pull Goodwin up about these dire performances more so after this.

As for Brophy, poor lad must be looking at a get out clause. Our tactics would make rashford look shite.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

When are folk going to learn with this “we were better in the second half” pish. 
We weren’t. We were just as shite in the second half. Livingston did what other teams have done. Got ahead and second half just gave us the ball to play with, safe in the knowledge we are totally toothless. Creates the illusion of us being better, but we were still shite. 
We were absolutely hopeless from start to finish and I’m happy to lay a large slice (not all) of the blame at Goodwin’s door.

As an aside, Martindale seems like a right good we c**t. 

Absolutely spot on. 
We’re just soft and don’t know how to attack. When we go behind, the game is up. 

82 mins to chase a goal. We manage 3 shots on target? 1 trundler from Dennis, 1 shoulder (missed header) from Obika, and 1 off the line from a set piece. 

We aren’t good enough. 

27 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Really ? I didn't see a lack of effort just a lack if a cohesive strategy.

I didn’t see attitude or desire I would expect in a semi, others can of course disagree but that’s my view. Let themselves & the club down. 

46 minutes ago, S2H said:

Manager asks for the players to handle the occasion and be brave. Needs to look himself in the mirror tonight as total lack of bravery in his team selection and formation. These opportunities don’t come along very often so disappointing to go out with a whimper. 

Feels like a huge missed opportunity.

we did well to get this far given the start to the the season.

The thing that annoys me about Goodwin is that he seems to think his team have more than one way to win a game in them  (We don't).  in a way it is good that he thinks that there should be other ways for us but we are not there yet and need to stick to the scrip for now.  Martindale knows his team have just one way of winning and sticks to it.  He will eventually be undone when the penny drops with the other managers, the only surprise is that it hasn't happened yet.

Absolutely spot on. 
We’re just soft and don’t know how to attack. When we go behind, the game is up. 

82 mins to chase a goal. We manage 3 shots on target? 1 trundler from Dennis, 1 shoulder (missed header) from Obika, and 1 off the line from a set piece. 

We aren’t good enough. 
That's nonsense too. We have gone behind 6 times this season in games we didn't lose. It's not a softness as that proves. It's the wild form swings and showing teams too much respect that's the problem. We have to be more proactive.

We haven't scored a goal from open play since the 26th December.  And that was against 9 men..  

Jim has brought in 3 strikers this season and plays one and 2 left backs (one who is not very good) in a semifinal against Livingston.... 

Anyone wonder why we were under the cosh from the start and created nothing for 70mins

Indeed.
I've seen that type of performance so often this season, that I've got so used to it, that I've accepted it as the norm and just can't get too bothered about it.

Sorry, just because it’s becoming a familiar type of performance does not mean we should accept it.

The opposite.

We need to let it be know that we’re not happy about it and that it’s not acceptable.

Set up to be hard to beat with little or no plan to attack the opposition and score.

Brophy is not a lone striker.

He has signed or played around 10 different strikers in 18 months and I absolutely slaughtered Obika first 6 of them but in last 12 months he has outscored the other strikers COMBINED total.

Only an idiot would play a national Semi final with your main striker on the bench.

We haven't scored a goal from open play since the 26th December.  And that was against 9 men..  
Jim has brought in 3 strikers this season and plays one and 2 left backs (one who is not very good) in a semifinal against Livingston.... 
Anyone wonder why we were under the cosh from the start and created nothing for 70mins

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
24 minutes ago, Maboza said:
Absolutely spot on. 

We aren’t good enough. 

That's nonsense too. We have gone behind 6 times this season in games we didn't lose. It's not a softness as that proves. It's the wild form swings and showing teams too much respect that's the problem. We have to be more proactive.

Can’t quite remember all 6 games but presumably include: 

- Rangers - a penalty out of the blue 

- Aberdeen - a penalty 

- Motherwell - another penalty when struggling to show any real threat 

- St. Johnstone - a good comeback win, albeit against 10 men 

- QoS - we were rank rotten against lower league opposition. Don’t think we should be taking much credit for scraping a draw 

Softness is maybe the wrong word but we don’t know how to attack effectively or chase a game. The nature of those games that we have managed comebacks, considered alongside the many other games where we haven’t shows the problem. 

Edited by Maboza

Can’t quite remember all 6 games but presumably include: 
- Rangers - a penalty out of the blue 
- Aberdeen - a penalty 
- Motherwell - another penalty when struggling to show any real threat 
- St. Johnstone - a good comeback win, albeit against 10 men 
- QoS - we were rank rotten against lower league opposition. Don’t think we should be taking much credit for scraping a draw 

Softness is maybe the wrong word but we don’t know how to attack effectively or chase a game. The nature of those games that we have managed comebacks, considered alongside the many other games where we haven’t shows the problem. 

I'd counter that by saying surely we shouldn't find ourselves in the position of having to chase a game so much ? I think we have a capable squad it's just negative, stifling tactics that's the problem.

Both the players and the manager are capable. We have seen that this season it's just nowhere near consistent enough.

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I'd counter that by saying surely we shouldn't find ourselves in the position of having to chase a game so much ? I think we have a capable squad it's just negative, stifling tactics that's the problem.

Both the players and the manager are capable. We have seen that this season it's just nowhere near consistent enough.

Yep.  Would agree. 

Our game plan is always just to keep the game so tight and nick a goal and then sit.  It’s same for many teams in the league to be fair and margins are narrow. 

Very frustrating when Goodwin himself recognised he’d made this mistake last season and vowed to have changed.  Not really been any evidence of such. 

He seems to have signed an array of attacking players and has no cohesive approach to play and get the ball into creative, danger areas. 

49 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Sorry, just because it’s becoming a familiar type of performance does not mean we should accept it.

I'm not asking anyone else to accept it.

In my case, familiarity has resulted in a feeling bordering on apathy.