Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi Final 24/1/21

shull

I really hate to say this but now that I’ve calmed down I will. I think that Goodwin believes himself to be some sort of tactical genius and beyond reproach. He has an irritating habit of answering a question  by saying “ listen” then going on about how he sees the game which seems far removed from the reality. Of course he is a club legend for captaining us to cup glory but he needs to look in the mirror. He comes across as arrogant which would be fine if we were winning regularly but we aren’t.

I personally don't think we would have won a final against St J anyway.

I think they have been the better team against us each time this season including the 3-2 game until Kerr got himself sent off.

The two 1-0 defeats flattered us.

They turned Hibs over 3-0 yesterday in a performance we could never match.

They also have a manager who is streets ahead of ours and will go a lot further in the managerial game.

12 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I personally don't think we would have won a final against St J anyway.

I think they have been the better team against us each time this season including the 3-2 game until Kerr got himself sent off.

The two 1-0 defeats flattered us.

They turned Hibs over 3-0 yesterday in a performance we could never match.

They also have a manager who is streets ahead of ours and will go a lot further in the managerial game.

I think Goodwin needs a kick up the bum from higher up to get out of this negative style of play, also the players too, as glaring obvious today that even passing to someone with the same colour top seemed to be beyond them.

2 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

I agree Billy

They are all hard work and pressence at set plays

Goodwin bought in to the media and tbf a few of us myself included

Obika and Durmus had to start as they have drive and look to go forward

They aren't great but as Livi have shown you don't need to be

Foley or Flynn should have came on today as the young players were too easy bullied

We were beaten before a ball was kicked today and that was down to the manager i'm afraid

That's the thing, livi aren't great but what they do and what they have make the difference. What they do is make sure they are on players and force mistakes, plenty time when there was a throw in to them we had players marking fresh air or our throw ins we had1 or 2 players looking for ball but with 3 or 4 livi players close by. What they do is have 3 steady players in their team being bartley, ambrose and guthrie nothing fancy or flash just steady influences to rest of squad.

They play to their strengths,  we don't seem to have that but play a stifling 4-5-1 that doesn't suit

2 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

That's the thing, livi aren't great but what they do and what they have make the difference. What they do is make sure they are on players and force mistakes, plenty time when there was a throw in to them we had players marking fresh air or our throw ins we had1 or 2 players looking for ball but with 3 or 4 livi players close by. What they do is have 3 steady players in their team being bartley, ambrose and guthrie nothing fancy or flash just steady influences to rest of squad.

They play to their strengths,  we don't seem to have that but play a stifling 4-5-1 that doesn't suit

We are better than Livi but we have a manager who is not good enough to set us up properly or respond during a match. He for me is showing his limitations. He'll do the media stuff saying he is still learning and makes mistakes but there is an element of bull to it. He has been well backed by the club so no real excuses overall.

Livi are very average side who i think StJ will turn over in the final

6 minutes ago, Maboza said:

I’d love to know whether he genuinely believes it or whether it’s a sports psychology thing to not let any negative criticism in. 

I think Goodwin is very good at it but eventually it will catch up with him. Interesting to see how we perform in the league over next few weeks. If its a poor run of performances, guarantee we get the struggling with semi defeat routine

There were a number of really disappointing aspects of today's performance. 

1. The tactics were wrong from the start, i.e. the team put on the park was wrong

2. The team gave away cheap fouls which played into the strengths of Livingston. They pumped balls into the box and looked for the chaos.

3. It took the management team far too long to see that their selection wasn't working.

4. There were players on the park especially in the first half, who shouldn't have been near the Hampden turf.

5. If you compare that team with the team that played Celtic in 2013, there was no comparison.  We deserved to lose to Livi if you especially look at the first half. Fractionally better in the 2nd half, but no cutting edge and long balls all day long, which suited their tall defenders.

If the players believed that perhaps this was their one chance to appear and win a final at Hampden, then they didn't show it.

Really, really disappointed 😞 😥 

I really hate to say this but now that I’ve calmed down I will. I think that Goodwin believes himself to be some sort of tactical genius and beyond reproach. He has an irritating habit of answering a question  by saying “ listen” then going on about how he sees the game which seems far removed from the reality. Of course he is a club legend for captaining us to cup glory but he needs to look in the mirror. He comes across as arrogant which would be fine if we were winning regularly but we aren’t.
The worrying thing is he actually thinks we have a style of play, we are reasonable at the back but apart from that we are clueless. This is validated by being the lowest scorers in the league. Our most experienced midfielders cannot get a look in, which is even more worrying when watching the guys playing there.
And if he thinks Mason put everything in to his performance today then....?

6 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

There were a number of really disappointing aspects of today's performance. 

1. The tactics were wrong from the start, i.e. the team put on the park was wrong

2. The team gave away cheap fouls which played into the strengths of Livingston. They pumped balls into the box and looked for the chaos.

3. It took the management team far too long to see that their selection wasn't working.

4. There were players on the park especially in the first half, who shouldn't have been near the Hampden turf.

5. If you compare that team with the team that played Celtic in 2013, there was no comparison.  We deserved to lose to Livi if you especially look at the first half. Fractionally better in the 2nd half, but no cutting edge and long balls all day long, which suited their tall defenders.

If the players believed that perhaps this was their one chance to appear and win a final at Hampden, then they didn't show it.

Really, really disappointed 😞 😥 

A simple like is not sufficient for that post.

Absolutely spot on. 

8 hours ago, WirralSaint said:

Im sure  hundreds of people he ruined the lives of, and their families, who didnt get the chance to "turn their lives around a be a good wee guy" probably disagree.

You've taken a lot of stick for this comment but I have to say I'm not entirely sure why.

I am sick of hearing about this guy's criminal past and how he turned his life around with absolutely ZERO mention of the victims of his crimes. I would have had some respect for him if he had publicly acknowledged that himself every time the "rags to riches" pish was raised.

It's not an inspiring story at all. It's f**king galling to see the public fetishising these types of people but strangely silent on the victims.

I dont usually listen or read Goodwin's post match reaction but decided to check it out what I'm really shocked about is Goodwin's best mate Thommo agreeing with him embarrassing from him too he should hang his head in shame.

That is absolute cringe.
Also there was nothing “agonising” about the defeat. We were gubbed from the start.