Merry Christmas

StanleySaint

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's because you can't empathise with a suicidal person.

If you could, you'd understand that there's nothing selfish about it at all. Suicidal people are rarely able to think straight at all and you expect them to think of others at their most vulnerable point? Honestly, what is wrong with you?

Hilarious coming from you about empathy. :lol:

Are you unable to empathise with the people that are left behind, the utter despair they must feel?

There's no point in asking what's wrong with you, it's plain to see you're a social misfit, 

The grief process is always difficult, but a loss through suicide is like no other, and the grieving can be especially complex and traumatic. 

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's because you can't empathise with a suicidal person.

If you could, you'd understand that there's nothing selfish about it at all. Suicidal people are rarely able to think straight at all and you expect them to think of others at their most vulnerable point? Honestly, what is wrong with you?

Selfish doesn't quite cover it, thinking straight or not.

A traumatic aftermath. Death by suicide is sudden, sometimes violent, and usually unexpected. Depending on the situation, survivors may need to deal with the police or handle press inquiries. While you are still in shock, you may be asked whether you want to visit the death scene. Sometimes officials will discourage the visit as too upsetting; at other times, you may be told you'll be grateful that you didn't leave it to your imagination. "Either may be the right decision for an individual. But it can add to the trauma if people feel that they don't have a choice," says Jack Jordan, Ph.D., clinical psychologist and co-author of After Suicide Loss: Coping with Your Grief.

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Selfish doesn't quite cover it, thinking straight or not.

A traumatic aftermath. Death by suicide is sudden, sometimes violent, and usually unexpected. Depending on the situation, survivors may need to deal with the police or handle press inquiries. While you are still in shock, you may be asked whether you want to visit the death scene. Sometimes officials will discourage the visit as too upsetting; at other times, you may be told you'll be grateful that you didn't leave it to your imagination. "Either may be the right decision for an individual. But it can add to the trauma if people feel that they don't have a choice," says Jack Jordan, Ph.D., clinical psychologist and co-author of After Suicide Loss: Coping with Your Grief.

This is all reasonable but ultimately is secondary to the rights of the suicidal person I'm afraid.

If we had euthanasia, none of the families would suffer to this extent.

You're not thinking through your argument at all.

Your argument is a reason FOR euthanasia, not against it.

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Are you kidding me with this question?

The right to decide what is best for them, including how and when they die.

I think you'll find that's just a selfish option and they are "unable to think straight" so are in no fit state of mind to make THAT level of decision.

23 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Suicidal people are rarely able to think straight at all

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I think you'll find that's just a selfish option 

Everything in your world is just so simple isn't it? There can be no shades of grey because that would require the ability to think things through. Ricky was right about you.

I keep forgetting that during our chats.

Just now, oaksoft said:

Everything in your world is just so simple isn't it? There can be no shades of grey because that would require the ability to think things through. Ricky was right about you.

I keep forgetting that during our chats.

Selective editing, a sure sign your fecked.

You're recent desperation seeking solace from Shull now Pricky shows how low you've sunk. 

EVERYONE is right about you. 

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Selective editing, a sure sign your fecked.

You're recent desperation seeking solace from Shull now Pricky shows how low you've sunk. 

EVERYONE is right about you. 

A lonely suicide victim would have you roaring with laughter and ridiculing him/her because they had no pals, unlike you.

4 minutes ago, shull said:

A lonely suicide victim would have you roaring with laughter and ridiculing him/her because they had no pals, unlike you.

Why would I, or anyone else, be laughing or ridiculing anybody? :blink:

I know you're off your rocker but stay out of adult debates, it'll only give you a sore head. :byebye

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Why would I, or anyone else, be laughing or ridiculing anybody? :blink:

I know you're off your rocker but stay out of adult debates, it'll only give you a sore head. :byebye

Not anyone else.

Just you.

You're an idiotic cnut who thrives on thinking you're superior.

Just because you have Pals, to carry you home from the pub.

3 hours ago, Slarti said:

Because:

It stops some random person finding your body?

It stops some train/lorry/bus driver being traumatised after you deliberately step out in front of them?

It stops some poor sod having to clean up your splattered mess?

It prevents your loved ones having unanswered questions or feeling guilty?

It saves on costs/manpower for the emergency services?

Etc.

Though I agree/empathise with all of the above, suicide is currently the go-to option for people who (for whatever their own reasons) have had enough.

It CAN be done in less dramatic and/or devastating ways for those who pick up the pieces.

Personally I think I'm too nosey about what comes next - in this life - to be in a rush to find out what doesn't come next, in the next.

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Slarti has pretty much answered it for me.

I'll add that suicide is usually painful, messy and prone to error.

Euthanasia is pain free and guaranteed.

Haven’t you heard the song?

if you have the will and have done all the things that those who choose euthanasia usually do you can have a good unassisted death 

i get uneasy when I hear of people who currently have the physical and mental capacity to take care of thing’s themselves ask to be offed once they deteriorate to a certain level.  I don’t judge but it doesn’t stop the unease

i do worry for the mental health of those administering the service should they ever doubt or question themselves in the future 

5 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

if you have the will and have done all the things that those who choose euthanasia usually do you can have a good unassisted death 

i get uneasy when I hear of people who currently have the physical and mental capacity to take care of thing’s themselves ask to be offed once they deteriorate to a certain level.  I don’t judge but it doesn’t stop the unease

The problem is that bit in bold. Two 'ifs'. There should be no 'ifs'.

There's no real reason for uneasiness. It's just people expressing a desire to want to make decisions for themselves. Usually it's based on hearing or experiencing first hand the absolute horror of watching someone close to them die a slow lingering and very painful death.

It's also a bit of indignation that there are people out there (and indeed current law) who believe that another human being should be making that decision for them.

Not sure what the mental health of those administering euthanasia has to do with anything but surely it would be improved if they no longer had to watch people struggle for their last breath. Honestly we don't treat dogs as badly as we treat humans at their end of life and we are hurting people through some misguided sense of "morality". If we were truly moral and compassionate (which humans fundamentally absolutely are not BTW), we would give people what they ask for.

13 hours ago, faraway saint said:

:lol:

Leaving aside the rather childish Judas nonsense, on this issue he's right though. You clearly think having friends makes you superior to those who don't.

I can't think of a better way to summarise your scummery than by saying that it ill-behooves a decent human being to indulge in such self-congratulatory rhetoric when ultimately the premise is constructed on entirely nebulous foundations.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Leaving aside the rather childish Judas nonsense, on this issue he's right though. You clearly think having friends makes you superior to those who don't.

I can't think of a better way to summarise your scummery than by saying that it ill-behooves a decent human being to indulge in such self-congratulatory rhetoric when ultimately the premise is constructed on entirely nebulous foundations.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The right to decide what is best for them, including how and when they die.

Even if it f**k's up the rights/life's of the poor train/lorry/bus drivers as an example or any other person that becomes involved through no fault of their own. 

Edited by pod

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

You've slowly but surely sunk into the bottom of the forum barrel this year.

Every time you come wading in , usually more aimed at me than the subject, you make a fool of yourself, as you have in this thread. 

It's highly amusing watching you change direction on the subject to deflect from your lack of ability in almost every subject that involves people and football. 

Enjoy your sad lonely life. 

1 hour ago, pod said:

Even if it f**k's up the rights/life's of the poor train/lorry/bus drivers as an example or any other person that becomes involved through no fault of their own. 

How would a train/lorry or bus driver become involved in euthanasia?

I am not sure you're following the discussion here.

I am arguing that euthanasia would avoid those problems.