The January Transfer Window

munoz

22 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

Victor was a class act. It would be a great piece of business to pick up another as good as he was.

Archibald was another matter altogether. Well past his sell by date and a drain on resources.

Ok I take the point about victor, maybe just a higher level player than what was in team at the time. Archibald could easily go along with the likes of Mark Reid who signed about same time I think.

I remember when Michael Bridges signed for Carlisle. When he started he would be lay off passes that he would have done at premier level when at Leeds or Sunderland and somebody would be running on to it in lg2 this took the others a bit to get used to. In saying that it was a real leap for Carlisle at time as once team got to grips and started to get going it easily put 1k on gate if not more which covered Bridges wages.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:18 AM, billyg said:

The thing I don't understand about his situation is that he was outstanding for Cheltenham last season , so much so that they were desperate to get him back on a permanent deal. They then said they couldn't afford him whenever a Scottish Premier team showed interest. Is this a sign that the new wage cap in the lower divisions down there is going to help the standard of player that clubs up here can attract. 

Yep thats exactly what I thought. Its an odd one and tbh if he was showing that level of form with Cheltenham then I'm surprised he's at SMFC. Maybe Goodwin worked some magic. Lets hope he can do it again.

3 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Yep thats exactly what I thought. Its an odd one and tbh if he was showing that level of form with Cheltenham then I'm surprised he's at SMFC. Maybe Goodwin worked some magic. Lets hope he can do it again.

I think most clubs down here are running basically maxed out due to wage caps, I do think it will change in summer when clubs will get out of having higher wage players.  Until this happens it certainly leaves us in a better position for bringing better quality players in along with having a manager who can sell  club well to potential players.

2 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

I think most clubs down here are running basically maxed out due to wage caps, I do think it will change in summer when clubs will get out of having higher wage players.  Until this happens it certainly leaves us in a better position for bringing better quality players in along with having a manager who can sell  club well to potential players.

I hate to burst your bubble but we, along with every other club, are skint as well? :lol:

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I hate to burst your bubble but we, along with every other club, are skint as well? :lol:

I'm not saying we aren't, I however don't think we are heading for financial oblivion like some in England. The wage cap was brought in to try and stop it but it won't.

On 1/2/2021 at 11:22 PM, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Or who might be getting moved on......

Morias?

Foley?

Flynn?

any others who  may be out of contract in summer or haven't featured much

The Foley situation is interesting. Was a stand out for us last season, this year, when had the chance hasn’t looked great. 
I’d like to see Flynn get a chance to fight for a position. 
happy to let junior go. 

In truth - if all left, I wish them well but wouldn’t be upset. 

Obika is out of contract in the summer as well.

I can see him not being offered a new deal either.

Foley is surely at the end of his time here.

Flynn should be offered a new 12 month deal though.

ETA. Connolly is out of contract in the summer. Not sure about that one TBH. And Durmus. Again not sure about him either. Too many times these two have been hit and miss. If Jim can identify better players these two might well be offski.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Obika is out of contract in the summer as well.

I can see him not being offered a new deal either.

Foley is surely at the end of his time here.

Flynn should be offered a new 12 month deal though.

ETA. Connolly is out of contract in the summer. Not sure about that one TBH. And Durmus. Again not sure about him either. Too many times these two have been hit and miss. If Jim can identify better players these two might well be offski.

I think the type of player we will be looking for will be getting will be more in line with the dynamics of the team. What I mean by this is I don't think we would be looking towards older players to stabilise the team as what we have done in past who maybe only got 1 or 2 seasons in them. Instead trying to get players in that will push team forward. 

Not forgetting we haven't had our annual managerial change and wholesale team rebuilding so would seem as if on a better footing, league table certainly suggests so.

Edited by Cumbriansaint72

3 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Because there is a speculation thread in the rumour mill. 👍🏻

This thread isn't about speculation though. Its intended to be about who we should bring in, who is surplus to requirements, who we actually sign and who leaves the club. No rumours or speculation, just opinions on what should happen, and also what actually happens. 

The transfer windows are an important part of the footballing calendar, and imo deserved a thread.

39 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

I think the type of player we will be looking for will be getting will be more in line with the dynamics of the team. What I mean by this is I don't think we would be looking towards older players to stabilise the team as what we have done in past who maybe only got 1 or 2 seasons in them. Instead trying to get players in that will push team forward. 

Not forgetting we haven't had our annual managerial change and wholesale team rebuilding so would seem as if on a better footing, league table certainly suggests so.

You are probably right.

I think we probably need a couple of creative players and at least one hungry decent striker, all of whom should be young and looking to impress. 3-4 in and 3-4 out would be my guess.

33 minutes ago, munoz said:

This thread isn't about speculation though. Its intended to be about who we should bring in, who is surplus to requirements, who we actually sign and who leaves the club. No rumours or speculation, just opinions on what should happen, and also what actually happens. 

The transfer windows are an important part of the footballing calendar, and imo deserved a thread.

Que sera sera 😎

18 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Remember if it wasnt for Obika we would be down a division. 

Some would say if it wasn’t for mcginn we’d be playing seasides yet loads where happy to see him go last season, can’t keep players on purely for past exploits, the game moves on and I’d say there’s much better out there than obika that we can attract, although Jon has scored some important goals for us.

On 1/2/2021 at 11:56 PM, faraway saint said:

If the Brophy story is true , and we've offered the best financial package....................................................................... ?