Omg!!!

Cumbriansaint72

I guess the young ones who bought/downloaded the tracks would think the music you like in the same bracket as you do their choice. TOTP is of a different generation which, I would think, is why they only put it on the screen once a year.

Edited by stlucifer

When I was young the music played on the Christmas / New Year TOTP was mostly rubbish too.  Popular music is and always has been crap.  It's made by the music industry, not musicians, and it's made to make money from those who spend their pocket money on the latest thing.  In the 60's it was aimed principally at young girls.  It's not so sexist these days.  From the mid 60's I got in to alternative music and lots of people in school at at youth clubs thought it was crap 'cos you couldn't dance to it.  Witin a few years I think most of the males of my generation were listening to non-pop stuff.  Ironically I can now listen to, and like, the stuff my dad listened to - Sinatra, Big Ella,  Bobby Darin and others of the swing generation. 

17 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

When I was young the music played on the Christmas / New Year TOTP was mostly rubbish too.  Popular music is and always has been crap.  It's made by the music industry, not musicians, and it's made to make money from those who spend their pocket money on the latest thing.  In the 60's it was aimed principally at young girls.  It's not so sexist these days.  From the mid 60's I got in to alternative music and lots of people in school at at youth clubs thought it was crap 'cos you couldn't dance to it.  Witin a few years I think most of the males of my generation were listening to non-pop stuff.  Ironically I can now listen to, and like, the stuff my dad listened to - Sinatra, Big Ella,  Bobby Darin and others of the swing generation. 

A massive sweeping statement and is wrong.

Music is very subjective, and, thank god, is so varied it can mean so much to so many people.

Popular music brings so much to so many.

16 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Got top of the pops on, forgot how bad it was. Only difference this year is there isn't a random studio audience dancing about to some other bloody song. To go with a crap year there has been some crap songs too🤣🤣🤣

It always was a dreadful programme but I didn't see that until I watched it again as an older person. Same with Starsky and Hutch, the Professionals and a host of other "brilliant" shows. 😀

The miming thing on TOTP eventually killed it for me.

Edited by oaksoft

It always was a dreadful programme but I didn't see that until I watched it again as an older person. Same with Starsky and Hutch, the Professionals and a host of other "brilliant" shows. [emoji3]
The miming thing on TOTP eventually killed it for me.
They stopped the miming long before the show ended. I think it was music stations, like MTV, that were really its death. Either that, or ditching Legs & Co. [emoji174]

In general, most "auld stuff" is probably best left in the memory, rather than actually going back to look at it, it's usually disappointing.

• 1 year later...
Journalism and daily record, does not compute!  
Not just the record:

The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) have said there are approximately 17 non-native species of land flatworms in Britain - four of which are native.

We apparently have 4 native non-native species of land flatworms in Britain. Is proofreading a thing of the past?

Fyi…   Btw….

I found a giant, plump 5” version of the chap, below, in my weed basin yesterday a.m.

Didnae kill it - popped it back in dense grass. It does a good job.  Leopard slug.

a carnivore known to pursue other slugs at a top speed of 15 centimetres (6 in) per minute.”

image.jpeg.7fb72eeb5e58d10e00fcae0f6a15d5cd.jpeg