Eamonn Brophy

djchapsticks

If you believe all reports in middle of global pandemic we give a 3 year deal (pretty unheard of anywhere even more so under current circumstances)

We also make him our highest earner and probably not possibly disrupt what looks like a close knit squad by paying him more than everyone else.

He has a roughly 1 goal in 3/4 games for Kilmarnock yes that looks decent for our level but how many since Steve Clarke left that is more important???

The Kilmarnock fans I know are happy to see the back of him and cannot believe we are so desperate to get him.

Hope he proves me wrong I said the same about Erwin and when he scored a deflection on debut v Celtic every c##t tried to make me eat my words but that turned out well for them.

I expect Brophy to score on his debut too after that the jury is out.

29 goals in 70 starts for Kilmarnock. The only non OF player in Scotland outwith Brophy with a better record over last 3 seasons is Sam Cosgrove. 
His scoring record is good. We are never going to be able to attract proven 20 goals a season types, especially current internationals and guys in their early to mid 20s so I'm not sure what you expect in a signing. Brophy ticks a lot of boxes and strengthens out front line without a doubt. 
A signing that most of us thought would have his pick of clubs outwith the OF and he's picked us. I mean it just goes to show that some fans are impossible to please. 
Some people are never happy, when was the last time Saints bought a capped 24 year old striker, this shows intent from the club to continue improving and moving forward when many clubs are going backwards

Ok... so I’d never heard of Brophy till this week.

(I’d never heard of ANYONE with that - interesting - name!)

From the above posts, he’s obviously a marmite player: you love him or loathe him.

If Goodwin wants him in his team, then that suggests he has talent to me - so I wish him a warm welcome as a Saint and a Happy New Year for him - and us!

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If you believe all reports in middle of global pandemic we give a 3 year deal (pretty unheard of anywhere even more so under current circumstances)

We also make him our highest earner and probably not possibly disrupt what looks like a close knit squad by paying him more than everyone else.

He has a roughly 1 goal in 3/4 games for Kilmarnock yes that looks decent for our level but how many since Steve Clarke left that is more important???

The Kilmarnock fans I know are happy to see the back of him and cannot believe we are so desperate to get him.

Hope he proves me wrong I said the same about Erwin and when he scored a deflection on debut v Celtic every c##t tried to make me eat my words but that turned out well for them.

I expect Brophy to score on his debut too after that the jury is out.

Honestly, what is wrong with you?

You are now trying to make a virtue out of judging players before they've even kicked a ball for us?

10 minutes ago, antrin said:

Ok... so I’d never heard of Brophy till this week.

(I’d never heard of ANYONE with that - interesting - name!)

From the above posts, he’s obviously a marmite player: you love him or loathe him.

If Goodwin wants him in his team, then that suggests he has talent to me - so I wish him a warm welcome as a Saint and a Happy New Year for him - and us!

If you had more interest in the Scottish National team, you'd have known that he received a call up to the squad in 2019/20.

This is a potentially very exciting signing for us.

Ronnie, however, knows better. He's the one with the crystal ball. :D

I personally won't be happy until Jim has spoken to @Ronnie and had his full approval.

Honestly, I don't know WTF Jim is thinking about, announcing this in the press before Ronnie has had the courtesy of that phone call.

Frankly, this is the sort of rank amateurism I had hoped we had eliminated when Stubbs left.

Why do I need to wait until he has kicked a ball for us???

Erwin was Ross County's 4th choice striker for a reason and me judging his lack of ability before he signed was 100% spot on due to me seeing him play plenty in this same league.

Brophy is exactly the same 2 goals this season down to Kilmarnock's 3rd or 4th choice striker why is that???

He is playing the same teams in the same league just with a different strip on so think it's pretty easy to judge him on that.

If he proves me wrong it's a win-win situation you all get to gloat, Probably winning more games if he is scoring goals.

The Kilmarnock fans who see him every week think its fuc###g hilarious we are paying more wages than Aberdeen and Hibs to get him.

Honestly, what is wrong with you?
You are now trying to make a virtue out of judging players before they've even kicked a ball for us?

His old manager gave him a cap v Cyprus 20 months ago how many caps since???

How many goals since???

Take a look on pie and bovril see what the Kilmarnock fans think of him.

If you had more interest in the Scottish National team, you'd have known that he received a call up to the squad in 2019/20.
This is a potentially very exciting signing for us.
Ronnie, however, knows better. He's the one with the crystal ball. [emoji3]

Ronnie if he is so rank rotten in your opinion why did he have a list of clubs chasing his signature?

Ok its from a news article but

"A number of Championship rivals are also believed to be looking including Luton, but he will also have the chance to remain in Scotland.

We understand Aberdeen, Hibernian, Hearts and St Mirren are all looking to open talks with him over a free transfer move in the summer."

Someone must see him as having some ability I guess 😲

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

His old manager gave him a cap v Cyprus 20 months ago how many caps since???

How many goals since???

Take a look on pie and bovril see what the Kilmarnock fans think of him.

Just out of interest, what kind of forwards should we be trying to sign ? 

Any names welcome. 

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

But I DON’T have, so - with reference to his suitability to don the stripes - I didn’t give a f**k about that aspect of his “pedigree”.  :)

Yeah he probably does gave some sort of ability but he is Kilmarnock's 3rd/4th choice striker why is that???

He has scored 2 goals this season in 6 months so goalscoring unfortunately doesn't seem to be one of his abilities which imo would be high up my list when signing a striker.

Ronnie if he is so rank rotten in your opinion why did he have a list of clubs chasing his signature?
Ok its from a news article but

"A number of Championship rivals are also believed to be looking including Luton, but he will also have the chance to remain in Scotland.

We understand Aberdeen, Hibernian, Hearts and St Mirren are all looking to open talks with him over a free transfer move in the summer."

Someone must see him as having some ability I guess [emoji44]

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah he probably does have some sort of ability but he is Kilmarnock's 3rd/4th choice striker why is that???

Possibly because he refused to sign up for more, so the Manager’s discretion - to utilise players who’d be staying in his team - was utilised?

Edited by antrin

12 minutes ago, munoz said:

Just out of interest, what kind of forwards should we be trying to sign ? 

Any names welcome. 

Funny you ask...

I saw a nice goal at the weekend by a guy whose languorous style reminded me of Isma.

A guy playing for a wee south London team. Watch him lazily wind between defenders to score the second goal.

Eze by name, easy by nature. Lovely.

Just now, antrin said:

Funny you ask...

I saw a nice goal at the weekend by a guy whose languorous style reminded me of Isma.

A guy playing for a wee south London team. Watch him lazily wind between defenders to score the second goal.

Eze by name, easy by nature. Lovely.

Sheffield's relegation defending certainly helped him, they even managed to make benteke look a threat🤣🤣🤣

44 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Why do I need to wait until he has kicked a ball for us???

Erwin was Ross County's 4th choice striker for a reason and me judging his lack of ability before he signed was 100% spot on due to me seeing him play plenty in this same league.

Brophy is exactly the same 2 goals this season down to Kilmarnock's 3rd or 4th choice striker why is that???

He is playing the same teams in the same league just with a different strip on so think it's pretty easy to judge him on that.

If he proves me wrong it's a win-win situation you all get to gloat, Probably winning more games if he is scoring goals.

The Kilmarnock fans who see him every week think its fuc###g hilarious we are paying more wages than Aberdeen and Hibs to get him.

It is hilarious because it's not particularly accurate.

We are willing to pay more than Aberdeen or Hibs are willing to pay. That's a big difference to financially blowing them out the water. 

Let's do a wee hypothetical scenario....Let's say for example, he's offered £2,000 p/w with us. We feel we're within our scope of comfort to offer the guy such a wage with the understanding he'll be our first choice centre forward.

Lets also say Hibs want him. They already have 2 centre forwards in Doidge and Nisbett who are most likely on significantly more than him and see Brophy as a decent backup option. However, Brophy's agent understands that Edinburgh is far more expensive to live in, requires upheaval and new digs and his client will be getting less playing time - so he asks for £2,750 p/w to offset the factors of cost and lessened playing opportunity.

Hibs feel that whilst they could offer that, they choose not to as he potentially wouldn't get enough football to justify adding almost £3k more to the wage bill in these times of uncertainty for what is essentially a backup option.

So whilst we technically have paid more than Hibs, it most certainly doesn't equate to us blowing a shedload of cash and gazumping them financially. To think so is ludicrous.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

You don't know what Brophy or any other members of the team are on or how it would affect their happiness. I certainly don't know how much my colleagues are on. Amazing how folk always assume fitba players sit and discuss their wage packets.

So by your own standards, all clubs should have players on the same wages to maintain peace and harmony?

Edited by djchapsticks

11 minutes ago, munoz said:

A loan deal for the semi and final( in which he scores) and then away again. 

Legendary status guaranteed forever. 

Ah, but.... ah... but!

That would leave JG in an impossible position!

Who, in Jim’s awesomely talented current strike-force, would have to make way for Isma?

Edited by antrin

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It is hilarious because it's not particularly accurate.

We are willing to pay more than Aberdeen or Hibs are willing to pay. That's a big difference to financially blowing them out the water. 

Let's do a wee hypothetical scenario....Let's say for example, he's offered £2,000 p/w with us. We feel we're within our scope of comfort to offer the guy such a wage with the understanding he'll be our first choice centre forward.

Lets also say Hibs want him. They already have 2 centre forwards in Doidge and Nisbett who are most likely on significantly more than him and see Brophy as a decent backup option. However, Brophy's agent understands that Edinburgh is far more expensive to live in, requires upheaval and new digs and his client will be getting less playing time - so he asks for £2,750 p/w to offset the factors of cost and lessened playing opportunity.

Hibs feel that whilst they could offer that, they choose not to as he potentially wouldn't get enough football to justify adding almost £3k more to the wage bill in these times of uncertainty for what is essentially a backup option.

So whilst we technically have paid more than Hibs, it most certainly doesn't equate to us blowing a shedload of cash and gazumping them financially. To think so is ludicrous.

You don't know what Brophy or any other members of the team are on or how it would affect their happiness. I certainly don't know how much my colleagues are on. Amazing how folk always assume fitba players sit and discuss their wage packets.

So by your own standards, all clubs should have players on the same wages to maintain peace and harmony?

Agree with all of that DJ and it's just possible that we would allow a lower "transfer clause" than the other two you mentioned which would be attractive to him at this stage of his career. 

Pot Kettle and Black, you assume that Doidge and Nisbet are on more than what Brophy would earn then call me out for saying Brophy would probably be on more than St Mirren players that not the same thing???

I'm assuming Brophy is going to be our highest earner going by previous statements made by TF & JG when we have missed out on signings that have went to other SPL clubs the main reason more than once was they offered a better deal than us also the reporting by various media sources that our package is more than what Aberdeen and Hibs offered.

I could be right or wrong as you could be with your hypothetical package Hibs could have offered I dont think it's a good deal financially or ability wise.

100% though I hope I am wrong after he scores on his debut we will see.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Pot Kettle and Black, you assume that Doidge and Nisbet are on more than what Brophy would earn then call me out for saying Brophy would probably be on more than St Mirren players that not the same thing???

I'm assuming Brophy is going to be our highest earner going by previous statements made by TF & JG when we have missed out on signings that have went to other SPL clubs the main reason more than once was they offered a better deal than us also the reporting by various media sources that our package is more than what Aberdeen and Hibs offered.

I could be right or wrong as you could be with your hypothetical package Hibs could have offered I dont think it's a good deal financially or ability wise.

100% though I hope I am wrong after he scores on his debut we will see.

Nope, I was being purely hypothetical with my numbers to outline a scenario where we could be beating team to a player but not having to necessarily to blow them out of the water to do so.

I used Hibs and their players as an example of this. I don't know how much their players are on.

If this comes off then it would be a major coup for us IMO. Someone like Brophy is the closest we could get to star name coming to us. Mid 20s and capped by Scotland - we don't have many others like that on our books [emoji846]

We are showing real and realistic ambition here and it should be applauded

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

29 goals in 70 starts for Kilmarnock. 

29 goals in 100 league games over 4 seasons. Taking into account this season, its 27 in 85 games. 9 goals a season. not exactly prolific.

I hope he turns out to be the new Somner, but 9 goals a season isn't going to help us much.

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Brophy has scored almost as many top flight goals at age 24 in under 4 seasons than Dargo managed in his full career. No comparison.

Whit???? Dargo scored over 160 goals in his career. What are you talking about? 

PS I wasn't a fan of Dargo, but he wasn't a bad striker, until he came to us.